Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Nata to Khubu - Query

Post by iandvl »

Hi fellow Patrollers. :)

A trip / route query.

I've been to Bots quite a bit. Mostly for work, and mostly in Gabs and down South, although I've also taken the Trans-Kalahari before on my way to Namibia. I also started with a trip up to Kasane some years ago, but called "stop-drop" at Mahalapye with electrical issues and headed back to ZA with an almost non-functional truck. That specific trip is still on my list of things to do one day. As are trips I want to do to CKGR, Mabua, etc. One day.

In the meantime, my folks have asked me to put a trip together later on this year. My mother is elephant mad, and after friends of her's were recently at Elephant Sands, she has expressed a desire to head out that way. They also want to see Khama Rhino Sanctuary. Those who have met my father will understand that he an ex-artillery officer, so when he expresses a desire, things must happen according to how he sees it... :rolling: :rolling:

So, I was thinking - since we're heading up to Nata for the obligatory stay-over at Elephant Sands, we may as well take a bit of a detour on the way back. So I'm thinking of heading up North to Elephant Sands and then back to Nata. However, instead of heading back down to Serowe via the A1, rather to turn west on the A3 and then turning South to get onto the A30 and camping at Khubu Island. After that, heading West to Orapa and then taking the A14 to Serowe / Khama Rhino Santuary.

My issue is that, not being a seasoned Bots traveller, I'm not 100% sure of the pans' rainy seasons and I know they can be deceptive when wet. So I'm not totally sure what time of the year would be a good time to take this route. My research indicates that March / April seems to be the wet time of the year. Would scheduling something like this for June or July be a good option ?

I'd appreciate any input. Oh - also please remember my folks are in their 70's. So whilst I am not massively phased about large technical difficulties when travelling in a group, I'd prefer to take a little less risk if it is simply them in their truck, and myself and Liana in mine...
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Nata to Khubu - Query

Post by Peter Connan »

Ian, I have been over Kubu twice. Once in March, once in June. Nobody got stuck, and both years were fairly wet, but not as wet as this year.

The road from Nata to Kubu (specifically the dirt road that heads pretty much directly north from Kubu to the Nata-Gweta road) is said to be safe at practically any time of year. For the most part it runs on a sandy ridge. The road from Kubu south to Orapa is the dangerous bit. You can alway go to Kubu and if the road south looks troublesome, go back the way you came and go south on the tar.

Just be aware that Kubu is pretty busy and you may need a booking, and that the campsite has been moved a short distance from the island, instead of around it like in the old days.

One more thing though. If you really want to see ellies, forget Elephant Sands. Go to Chobe. And stay at Senyati Safari Lodge. The riverfront-section of the Cbobe has the highest elephant density on the planet, and Senyati has a bunker/sunken photographic hide where you can get really close to the ellies that drink at their dam twice daily.

When we were there last, I stopped counting at 200 ellies in one drive.

For more info, see my TR from back in 2012.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Ian, phone me on oh ate 3 two 9 six 57 twenty, I do that area regularly on my commercial Safaris and will give you the lowdown on seasons and best places to stay.
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by iandvl »

Peter - thanks for the advice. I'm aware that I'll probably need a booking for Khubu, and already looking at options. Sadly, although I tried to push my luck and get the folks to consider Kasana / Chobe, that did not pan out. The Colonel is dead-set in terms of where he wants to go.

Malcom - appreciated. I'm just a little tied up at work at the moment, but will see if I can give you a call tomorrow morning.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

Return to “25. Trip/Route Queries”