ccc
Full Name: Hannes du Buisson
Nickname: Alpha1
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: 1998 Patrol LE
Home Language: Afrikaans

Fuming

Post by ccc »

I have a 1998 4.5l GL Patrol with 360 000km on the clock. Recently I had it serviced by Nissan and when it came back to my utter surprise I found another radiator in my car! A "home-made" one, with short pieces of round bar welded to it to fit it, sprayed silver, with silver paint all over my engine. I phoned Nissan and demanded an explanation. The story I got was that the tank was cracked and it leaked. This of course was not true, as I regularly check for cracks and leaks and there was none before it went in for the service. I was told I did not pay for the replacement of the radiator as it was done for free. I insisted that nothing was wrong with my previous radiator, and I phoned Silverton Radiators, with the invoice no (which was supplied by Nissan) and asked them about the radiator. They gave me a total different story. Said there was high pressure somewhere in the system which made the radiator to burst and they had to fix the radiator. I went back to Nissan and demanded that my radiator be replaced with an original Nissan part, which they agreed to. 3 Weeks after the service (R12 000) my car started the morning with a lot of stutter and protest, as if it was very cold. I had some work to do in Sandton, and later the afternoon when I tried to start the car, the engine turned, but it did not start. It was loaded on a flatbed courtesy of Outsurance and delivered at my house. The next day Nissan agreed to send a flatbed, free of charge to take it their workshop. They informed me the fuel pump died. They replaced the fuel pump 3 years ago, the previous still in my possession as I want to fit it to my second tank only using the meter part. They also then suddenly got hold of radiator stock and replaced the radiator. As the woman I am married to works close to this Nissan dealer, she went to fetch the car yesterday. At her arrival at the dealer the car was standing, idling with an immense heat coming from the engine. She enquired about this excessive heat and was told "it normal, as the car was left idling for and hour and a half"! When she arrived home, the engine was piping hot, to the extend that the oil boiled out of the one (driver side) bonnet sock, but the temp indicator did not show the engine was that hot. It was sitting at 50%. The battery was so hot one could barely touch it with bare hands. I took the car for a short drive and noticed that it steered much more difficult than before. It was almost as if it had no power steering. Now I would really appreciate some assistance with a few questions:

1. Would would or could have caused the radiator to burst in the first place?
2. Is a genuine Nissan Radiator branded "Calsonic Kansei" with a big 4 next to it?
3. If not, is this a good make - in other words better than the original radiator?
4. Is it normal for a R 4000,00 Fuel pump to die every 3 years?
5. Can water in petrol be the reason for the fuel pump to die?
6. What could be the reason for the extremely hot engine, and why does it not show on the temp meter?
7. What could be the reason for the heavy steering all of a sudden?
8. Could Nissan have damaged my engine, which caused back pressure, which popped the radiator which is now the reason why its running this hot?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: Fuming

Post by Peter Connan »

Hannes, get Pathmaker to have a look at your car.

It sounds to me like the cooling system has not been bled properly. I think the chances are pretty good your engine has suffered permanent damage, and you will need a report from a qualified mech if you are to have any chance of fighting this.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

First of all welcome here :salute:
Another centorion patrol :woo:
Let me give you some sound advice......if you want to keep your trol alive keep it as far away from the stealers as possible. ... :mytwocents:
Graham is in valhalla he works on more patrols in a month than nissan sa see in a year ......this hole story sounds fishy....your radiator doesn't sound lekke let him have a look see ....
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Maybe I'm not understanding this properly,

The water temp gauge is reading 50% or halfway, but the engine bay is getting incredibly hot? If this is so there is also a possibility that the motor is running perfect and the radiator is keeping the temps inside the motor at the correct operating temp. If they idled the car for an hour and a half yesterday in the heat that we had, that engine bay is going to cook !!! With no airflow other than hot air flow from the viscous fan, the battery and anything else in there is going to get friggin hot.

Did you ask then to change the radiator? Did they get in contact with you to discuss this? I cannot understand that they replaced the radiator for you FOR FREE !!!..... This makes no sense to me as Nissan I doubt would even consider this unless there is an underlying story on their part...... :think: :think: :think:

Which Dealer was this?
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

DITTO on CEDRIC's post ..
ALSO -- The temp guage is situated high up, thus, if the WATER LEVEL has dropped to below the temp guage, the heat guage will "report normal" as there is NOE water to measure -- and the engine will melt down [had that on the Prado .. only in th elast 30 seconds of that engines 'life' did the heat guage register into the red .. ]

I smell a rat -- serious .. But PLEASE share with us who the culprit dealer is .. dat ek kan sorg dat LOBO nooit by die *(*&^&%$$ uitkom nie..
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

I said it before

Sending yout Trol to the stealers is like sending your missus to Joberg Gen. Except you pay...

One the one hand you should demand the culrpits to fix and undo their mess, but on the other hand it may be better for you to just to stay away and get Pathmaker to fix it up for you.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
ccc
Full Name: Hannes du Buisson
Nickname: Alpha1
Current 4x4: 1998 Patrol LE

Post by ccc »

Thank for the welcome, guys.

I only read about Pathmaker afterwards.

Jip, they replaced the radiator for free! So they said.

What do you call those round things that simulate the earth and sounds like something that produce tungsten light in the house? No more stealers for me.

Will let you guys know what Pathmaker found.

Txs a mil.
martyn
Full Name: Charles Fry
Nickname: Charlie
Home Town: Robertson
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.5
Home Language: English

Post by martyn »

I know, I know, I think I guessed your riddle. Is it Global lighthouse? :rolling:
Diem Dulcem Habes
Have a good day
BABELAAS
Full Name: LOWE
Nickname: MARC
Home Town: BRONKHORSTSPRUIT
Current 4x4: 2015 Navara 4X4
Home Language: ENGLISH

Post by BABELAAS »

Hi Hannes,
Clsonin Kansai is a genuine Japanese supplier to Nissan & Toyota, so a very good possibility that it is a genuine part.
The question to ask is : Why would a dealer "give away" a new radiator as it must cost at least R 3000.00 ( but being a Patrol part, probably double that). Dealers never do anything for free?
I would suggest you contact Nissan Customer care and possibly also the RMI. ( also do it in writing so there is an official record)
BABELAAS

2015 Navara 4X4
BABELAAS
Full Name: LOWE
Nickname: MARC
Home Town: BRONKHORSTSPRUIT
Current 4x4: 2015 Navara 4X4
Home Language: ENGLISH

Post by BABELAAS »

Sorry, should have been -Calsonic Kansei !!!
BABELAAS

2015 Navara 4X4

Return to “09. Engines”