Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Transfer Case Assembly Procedure

Post by David »

Had a request from Tim in Windhoek for this info ...
tc.jpg
tc.jpg (152.4 KiB) Viewed 10337 times
tc1.jpg
tc1.jpg (169.42 KiB) Viewed 10337 times
tc2.jpg
tc2.jpg (151.64 KiB) Viewed 10337 times
tc3.jpg
tc3.jpg (167.63 KiB) Viewed 10337 times
tc4.jpg
tc4.jpg (179.65 KiB) Viewed 10337 times
tc5.jpg
tc5.jpg (165.85 KiB) Viewed 10337 times
tc6.jpg
tc6.jpg (108.77 KiB) Viewed 10337 times
tc7.jpg
tc7.jpg (183.77 KiB) Viewed 10337 times
Hoop jy kom reg Tim :thumbup:

Groete
David
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Tim
Full Name: Timo van der Smit
Nickname: Tim
Home Town: Windhoek
Current 4x4: Nissan Safari
Nissan Patrol GU
Landrover Defender 90 2.8
Toyota Land Cruiser P/U 4.5

Re: Transfer Case Assembly Procedure

Post by Tim »

Many thanks for that David

I'll switch to Brits for our international friends' benefit.

I'm sure that will help a lot of people. Unfortunately I'm still stuck with my dilemma. There seems to be about three repair manuals available, and the detail in which assembling of parts is uncertain to me. Those are Haynes, Gregories and Max Ellery.

At this point it is not very well described what the orientation of the TC main gear coupler is. This coupler is located in the mid section of the transfer box of the TB45 GU and switch between the TC main gear and TC low gear. From the pics it can be seen that the main gear as well as the coupler has a different dog gear "pitch" one surface is somewhat larger than the other. I'm not sure about which side should match up with which side when the coupler is shifted on to/over the main gear.

There can obviously be only one CORRECT way in order not to damage the maingear dogs.

Thanks
Tim
Attachments
Maingear coupler other side.JPG
Maingear coupler other side.JPG (225.96 KiB) Viewed 10226 times
Main gear coupler one side.JPG
Main gear coupler one side.JPG (204.57 KiB) Viewed 10226 times
Coupller one way.JPG
Coupller one way.JPG (160.93 KiB) Viewed 10226 times
Transfer main gear.JPG
Transfer main gear.JPG (161.46 KiB) Viewed 10226 times
Last edited by Tim on 20 Aug 2013 21:03, edited 2 times in total.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by Clem »

Interesting. Why is the thing chain driven and how robust is that setup?
Ross
Full Name: Ross Holland
Nickname: Ross
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: 1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
aka "The Polar Bear"

Post by Ross »

Clem wrote:Interesting. Why is the thing chain driven and how robust is that setup?
My TC has been noisy since I bought the vehicle (155k kms)....now on 255k and seems to be getting slightly worse, so will have to be addressed in the near future. I have a feeling that my chain is perhaps stretched. Would be interesting to hear is anyone else has had any issues.

Tim, what was the cause of your TC failure?? What failed that necessitated the re-build??
Ross

1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel: 2" OME, 33" Big Horns, 2x LR Tanks, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, Drawer System, etc etc
aka "The Polar Bear"
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Post by Russ Kellermann »

I had my TC chain replaced under nissan warranty as i had/have the 4.2 rumbles (common particularly with Nissan Heavy duty clutch install).Nissan said they believed the chain to be stretched, so they replaced the chain and the noise was slightly less for a few days then back to normal.

Turns out its normal with HD clutch and this is consistent with all talking to people in Australia on the matter.

The nissan chain is apparently triple linked and very robust.

This all happened before 100 000km . Vehicle now on 175 and no issues at all, still noisy when idling at low RPM, as per most 4.2D with HD clutch instal.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Ross & Russ,

Thank you very much. It looks like the chain only drives the front wheels. See this thread: http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-p ... ain-81739/

Cheers,
Clem
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Watch this clip: . It shows the drive chain running with the case cover off. Quite interesting.

My bet is that using 4Wd on a hard surface and shocking loading during "wheel in the air" offroad work really strains the chain. That said, its one heck of a chain!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Tim, getting back to the subject:

Please note that I am not a transfer case expert, and have never opened one of these.

But it would seem to me to make sense if the dogs are arranged in order to favour changing from low to high.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Tim
Full Name: Timo van der Smit
Nickname: Tim
Home Town: Windhoek
Current 4x4: Nissan Safari
Nissan Patrol GU
Landrover Defender 90 2.8
Toyota Land Cruiser P/U 4.5

TC Drive chain

Post by Tim »

Hallo gents and to all those with interest in the Transfer case issue.
First of all I must say I'm not a gearbox/TC expert myself but with a little CDF you will understand the basic mechanics of the Tc quite easily.
To start of I basically had two problems. 1 was a tack tack noise that varied with shaft speed and 2 was a crrrrrrr noise and there can be many reasons for that.
I have a good couple of write ups on two Ausie Patrol forums with some photos of the damage I found but the the basics is that I had to jack up the rear axle and remove the drive shaft to pin point the problem with my screwdriver stethoscope. The TC comes out quite easily and consist of three major compartments. The first is where the chain is located and the second is where the majority of gears is located. These gears are the Main gear, the counter gear and the 4l gear.
I found a single dog gear ( from the TC main gear) broken off in mine that got stuck between the the main gear and one of the counter gears. The result was the tack tack noise. So I replaced the main gear from the stealers @ R 2300.00 Much more expensive compared to a LC box. The Tc is a locked box, no clutches, no differentials, straight forward.
Even though the rest of the gears were in very good nick I found the bearings to be somewhat vrot. So I replaced most of the bearings at a total cost of about R800.00
The chain on my box is somewhat slack and does not bother me at all. I suppose the chain may stretch somewhat with extensive 4W use, but as I mentioned in other forums, if that was to be a problem the Japs would have added a tension-er of some sort. The chain is about 60mm wide with short links and chain stretch and resulting noise from that condition is in my opinion unlikely. Excessive chain stretch will show wear marks on the two chain gears first which mine did not have despite the slack. Bearings is the main culprit of TC noise and the box is in my opinion poorly designed wrt the location of the drain plug. You never get all the old oil out of it which means you never get all the old filings and other hard metal out of it because there is a part on the center section that is lower than the drain plug and forms sort of a catch bucket. These metal parts get stuck in the bearings and cause rapid bearing wear. If the slightest of metal parts get stuck between specially the needle bearing in the 4L gear you will get bearing creep. A couple of needles that gets stuck and release = crrrrrr. The bearings on the far rear hosting the 4x4 output shaft and main shaft is not particularly robust. In the Tc is a oil gutter and oil is kicked up from the countershaft gears onto this gutter after which oil gravitates back to the bearings in the chain section and odo meter gear, meaning that all those filings is transferred directly onto bearings in that section from out of the mid section.
Last edited by Tim on 20 Aug 2013 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

Thanks Tim - this is very interesting :thumbup:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!

Return to “10. Drivetrain”