Full Name: Daniel Cullender
Nickname: Daniel
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2001 4.5l Nissan Patrol
Home Language: english

manual gearbox idiosyncrasy

Post by cullendw »

Hi,

I have recently purchased a beautiful 2001 4.5 Patrol and am looking to many happy years playing in the dirt! I have a question regarding an idiosyncrasy regarding the gearbox; When I have been driving for a while with 5th gear engaged, the reverse gear seems to "disappear". Only after engaging a couple of other gears in various permutations can I find the reverse gear (thereafter I can find reverse gear with ease until the next long trip with 5th gear engaged). I would not mind so much, but I am a bit nervous about my wife not being able to find reverse when I am not with her. Has anyone else experienced something similar or maybe know what may cause this?

Thanks!
Regards
Daniel Cullender
Ross
Full Name: Ross Holland
Nickname: Ross
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: 1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
aka "The Polar Bear"
Home Language: English

Re: manual gearbox idiosyncrasy

Post by Ross »

Hi Cullendw,

Welcome to the forum! Please post some pics of your new ride, if you havn`t already.

Unfortunately I can`t answer your question entirely, but maybe someone else with more technical gearbox knowledge will chime in.

I`m not sure if this can cause your difficulties, but be aware that 5th gear on pre-2002 Patrol manual boxes does need to be treated with some respect, as it is a known point of failure. Don`t lug the van in 5th (i.e. don`t be shy to change down to 4th on the hills), and avoid 5th when towing.

There is a bit of info here: http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?t=22988

There is a design change from mid 2002 onwards that addresses this issue, so if you are ever unlucky and loose 5th, be sure to get the updated parts for the re-build.

Not sure if the above helps you, but probably something worth being aware of.

Regards,

Ross
Ross

1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel: 2" OME, 33" Big Horns, 2x LR Tanks, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, Drawer System, etc etc
aka "The Polar Bear"
cullendw

Post by cullendw »

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the reply! I will def post some pictures soon (going to De Wildt next month so will hopefully get some decent action shots). My previous 4x4 was a highly modded Disco 1 so I am quite excited to see the difference (so far, the Patrol starts every time I turn the key which is a big first!!!). The previous owner is a really nice chap and has really looked after it!

The gearbox was re-built in 2008 by the previous owner (the 5th gear disappeared after a road trip he took) by Rex Diff so I am assuming they used the updated parts (I have got the receipt so I will give them a call and see if they kept a record).

I think you may have a point though - I have done a long trip with 5th gear engaged and reverse was still working 100% - this must be because I did not lug the van like you said. I will try this theory out and if it is the case, I will advise my wife not to engaged 5th to be on the safe side!.

Thanks again
Daniel

PS - I tried to access the link you suggested and it comes up with a message telling me the board is unavailable so I will try again another day
Regards
Daniel Cullender
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Tinus lotz »

Hi there I'm going to find out about a spare box for you tommorow one of the guys on the form has 3! Becouse they generally don't give hassles he needs to get rid of it !
Mabe its a good idea to chance the box if it makes finacal sence ? :think:
cullendw

Post by cullendw »

Hi Tinus,

Thanks for the offer, it is greatly appreciated!

Right now, I do not think the problem warrants a change of box or spending any money. I think I still need to get use to driving the Patrol and I am sure this idiosyncrasy will just add character (which I am used to be a ex Landy driver :biggrin: ). I just had a chat with the previous owner and he mentioned that he hardly ever experienced the problem, so I figure it must because of what was mentioned earlier regarding me lugging the car in 5th gear. I should hopefully be able to test out this theory soon.

All the best and thanks again!
Daniel Cullender
Regards
Daniel Cullender
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Daniel do you know when the gearbox oil was last replaced?

It night be a good idea to replace if you don't. Use Castrol BOT130M for best results.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Sometimes I also can not get it into "R" - the same problem with my Safari and my Skyline years ago.

All I do is let the clutch go - step on it again and then it goes into reverse :oldtimer:
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
cullendw

Post by cullendw »

Hi Peter,

Thats a great idea! I will definetly try replace the gearbox oil and let you know, thanks! Out of interest, do you have any recommendations for diff oil?
Regards
Daniel Cullender
cullendw

Post by cullendw »

Hi,

I headed off to dullstroom and only if I engage 5th gear, regardless whether I lug the patrol or not, reverse disappears. This never happens if I just go up to 4th gear. I forgot that a seal was replaced in the transfer case a couple of weeks ago, so the gearbox oil was replaced very recently.

Apparently this is caused by my reverse idle misaligning which would cost a packet to fix. After some practice, reverse in not too difficult to find again (the formula is 2nd, lift clutch, 4th, lift clutch, 5th then reverse in one motion)
Regards
Daniel Cullender
cullendw

Post by cullendw »

It happened again today while driving on a short trip and I did not even engage 5th gear. My formula did not work very well and I spent around 5 minutes trying to find reverse in a parking lot ... not ideal! :redface:
Last edited by cullendw on 05 Sep 2011 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Daniel Cullender

Return to “10. Drivetrain”