CBotha
Full Name: Corne Botha
Nickname: Corne
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 95' Pajero 3.5 V6 LWB
Home Language: English

Re: Patrol 3L Blown Turbo and Water Usage

Post by CBotha »

ricster wrote: 10 May 2018 16:59 Hmmm... then why the water leak...... interesting...... :think:

ok ... here is the crunch question ..... does that Patrol have an EGT gauge wit an audible alarm already fitted, and how long has it been fitted.

This will tell you also if the motor has been at least monitored.

The heads having been replaced can be a tricky one. Many years back I bought a brand new head for my TD42 ( not from the agents, and for less than half the price of Nissan ), that had an issue where the water ports had not been frilled out properly on some of the ports around the head. Unfortunately, I never checked them when I fitted the head, and a few months later .... the head cracked. So where did the heads come from? Who fitted them?

It is a chance you will take with that motor. But I think that is an expensive chance. If I were you, I would open the motor up anyway... so there are going to be costs involved. While open, replace the pistons and rings and bearings. ( minimal cost due to nothing having been broken). Have the head checked out by a proper engineering shop. Who knows, it may have just been a leaky head gasket. And here again, I am a FIRM believer in the head gasket being bought from Nissan. This motors run high compression. ( I know the TD42 motor is something like 22.7:1 !!!!)... so then you should have a good motor if all of the above that you mentioned has been done.

Then you take it to Steves Auto Clinic in Boksburg to tune as I believe from what I've heard, they have some knowledge on setting up the injector pump properly for SA conditions.

However... it is your call completely.... personally R90k is still a bit high for what you will need to do to ensure piece of mind
It has a madman fitted. Not entirely sure for how long. I'm viewing the vehicle on Saturday, should there be anything i should ask in particular that could point me in the right direction as to the extent of the damage?

The owner says that it doesn't overheat at all and has never had that problem, could that perhaps mean that its just a leaking head gasket?

The motor is running but no boost, although when it does boost it smokes a lot.

I got a price of roughly R37k for a fully refurbished Zd30 without the turbo fitted. Could just have the turbo refurbished.

Ill definitely negotiate the price.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Tinus lotz »

We had this chat earlier today...if it was easy fix he would have done it...broken 30l is amoney hole.....buy for 70k or walk away....and then fit a td42t
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Something nobody seems to have mentioned yet:

The ZD30 from the Hardbody is a different motor from the one in the Patrols. And the import motors are usually from a Hardbody.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

hahaha... Peter... I was just thinking the same as I read his last post.... you are right there !!!

I have NO clue the difference between the two ZD30's for the Patrol and Hardbody.

It could be something as small as a leaky welsh plug to a leaky head gasket, to a leaky radiator or radiator hose, or a leaking waterpump. If the turbo is blown not making boost, and the vehicle is still being driven.... I would be VERY concerned. No boost means the motor is trying to deliver the same amount of diesel for a boosting engine. the more diesel that is delivered, the hotter the EGT's ( Exhaust Gas Temp ) will get.... and they will hit ridiculously high temps within seconds... like over 800degC.... this WILL kill the motor for sure.

I get the feeling your heart hangs on this Patrol, so we just want to give you as much info as possible both positive and negative. You will definitely need. in my opinion, fight for a better deal price wise.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
CBotha
Full Name: Corne Botha
Nickname: Corne
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 95' Pajero 3.5 V6 LWB

Post by CBotha »

Peter Connan wrote: 11 May 2018 05:42 Something nobody seems to have mentioned yet:

The ZD30 from the Hardbody is a different motor from the one in the Patrols. And the import motors are usually from a Hardbody.
I've been told the same. The replacement motor i will get from Michael Sojo Automotive. Patrol Zd30. The 4.2 conversion will cost about a 100k :surprised:

Return to “09. Engines”