NOROC: Strategic Session on the "Way Forward": 2017-01-14

Planning a get together (GTG), trip or competition?

Are you interested in being a member of the NOROC?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 30

georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: George Brittnell
Nickname: georgeb
Home Town: Hartbeespoort
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: NOROC: Strategic Session on the "Way Forward": 2017-01-1

Post by georgeb »

Overdrive wrote:I was also thinking the other day - what has happened? Did anyone make a follow up with Nissan? Just in case there was an important email that got lost in the ether somewhere.
Afternoon Rod - thanks for your as usual well-balanced response/input. The answer to you question is a very firm YES - I did this myself on a number of occasions.

Overdrive wrote:Maybe our strategy for Nissan to take us seriously is wrong? Maybe we need to reconsider that and figure out what it is that we could do that will get them to take us seriously. From a business point of view what are we really offering them? A different way of thinking about it is how can we put pressure on Nissan?
At the point in time and from a Club perspective, too be honest, nothing - we don't even offer ourselves anything! I must admit this is partly my fault - I just lost steam for fighting and arguing.

Overdrive wrote:And are our demands clear and targeted. :think:
I believe so - please see my latest input to Nissan below - as fresh as earlier today:

What needs to be answered is the question if Nissan will be involved full time i.e. completely take over the Club in terms of all administration functions, or will it just be as in the past on a part time sponsor type involvement?

Also, what benefit will come to Club members from a Nissan perspective - this is the biggest bee in the bonnet on the Patrol Forum. Will it be possible that we i.e. negotiate a "Club Member Perks Package" with Nissan including stuff like:

Proper membership cards;
Discount on parts, services and tyres to paid up members;
Club days for members arranged by Nissan;
Vehicle branding sponsored by Nissan;
Regular contact with Nissan on a macro level - not just dealers.

If we can inject enough energy and momentum in the Club, the people will join in numbers.
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Hi George

Can you perhaps list the actions points that were minuted by you at the 14 January meeting?
I just want to verify what was going to be done, and by whom.
Thanks
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by georgeb »

Alex Roux wrote:Hi George

Can you perhaps list the actions points that were minuted by you at the 14 January meeting?
I just want to verify what was going to be done, and by whom.
Thanks
Good evening Alex - here you go....
Attachments
Summary of discussions on 20170114.docx
Minutes
(14.27 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by georgeb »

Here are the summary results of the questionnaire that was completed on the day.
Attachments
Alex-NOROC PRoposed Questionnaire 2017-01-14-1-Results.xlsx
Results
(15.17 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by Alex Roux »

georgeb wrote:Here are the summary results of the questionnaire that was completed on the day.
:thumbup:

George,

- Was it only you that kept on pleading with NSA. I would have thought that Glyn Demmer has contacts there?
- Has the committee met since 14 January?
- Do you know what the status of the club is now?
georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by georgeb »

Evening Alex
Alex Roux wrote:Was it only you that kept on pleading with NSA. I would have thought that Glyn Demmer has contacts there?

Glyn and myself, Gavin Reeder who attended on 14 January is Glyn's contact. Gavin indicated throughout that Nissan is still interested in supporting the Club but this "interest" has no definition according to me. Also, the Navara launch was put forward as the aspect that took all the attention the past number of months. Glyn indicated that there would have been a meeting today that he would have attended that was arranged due to the comments Ian made on Facebook on the Nissan page - this shook the castle at Nissan. I have not received any feedback today.
Alex Roux wrote:Has the committee met since 14 January
Yes
Alex Roux wrote:Do you know what the status of the club is now?
Yes indeed. We have a grand total of 23 members. The Committee currently consists of Glyn, Vaughn and Me - Kobus P has resigned as Secretary. Jorrie, Pieter B and Andre Durand assisted with a few events that we have organised thus far. The one event at Piesangkloof was relatively well attended while the one at Sandwani, although very well arranged and advertised, were poorly attended.

The Club is from a legal perspective not dead, as this decision and subsequent action(s) can only be sanctioned at an AGM or Special AGM - it is just dead in our frame of reference and opinion.

There are a number of loyal members that continuously support the events and also assists in arranging events. Based on this fact and not to disappoint these people and friends, I am still pretty much ready to rock and roll ahead with the Club - with or without membership fees paid - that is not a factor to me - enjoying the sport that I love with my friends is priceless.

I was just g@tvol the other day and that was the foundation for my outburst that I am finished with the Club. In the event that Nissan does not officially buy into the Club, we will continue as an independent group of Nissan owners and Club members - the same that we have done in the past - no complicated setup that is a burden to run - we have day jobs as well....

The Nissan Forum according to me is dead and will be discontinued on 30 June 2017. Whereto in terms of a Forum - I personally actually don't care much - we are members here on the Patrol Forum and with approval from the owner we will continue here. If this is not acceptable, we go without a Forum - the Wegry Kampvuur Forum has also recently been discontinued after being a Number 1 for a long time - Wegry now just uses their Facebook page for cyber presence.

In the event that Nissan becomes officially involved all of the above might be out the window - who knows?
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by georgeb »

Fresh off the Press:

"Glyn - I had a quick status with Gavin from Nissan who called to advise that he was at the agency in Sandton. It would seem as if they realize that they have to do something and would also like to look at ways of engaging with customers. He will be discussing my strategy with the product team next week and thereafter with the marketing GM , if all goes well we may still be able to continue with support from them as we will be part of the interface with customers."

Vingers is gekruis....
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Why always must the sh@t hit a fan before they get some gears???? Hey?? Tell me ? :redface:
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by Alex Roux »

Maybe they got inundated with orders for new Patrols after the DriveOut / Wegry issue featuring Patrols! :rolling:
You never know
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero
Home Language: English

Post by Rhett »

About 10 years ago I worked for an external marketing company where we helped launch the Tiida, Micra and Primastar. NSA's marketing strategy then included test drives, show and tell's and introductions at dealers before the vehicle was launched. The dealer intro's included everyone from the DP, sales and workshop staff, and we visited every single branch in SA and Nam. This could easily have been done with the Patrol, and we had access to many off-road training grounds to use. (Pity I was not into the pleasures of off-roading then :doh: )

Why doesn't Nissan SA just outsource their marketing campaigns to companies who are good at it? That is their business, compared to the staff at NSA who seem to be solely focused on the niche market of small compacts? I doubt this is a question of whether they have the money.

Doesn't anyone have Carlos Ghosn in their phonebook?? :lol:
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45

Return to “29. Events”