Waarvan bou 'n mens n dakrak?

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
Ds J
Full Name: Jaap Steenkamp
Nickname: Ds J
Home Town: Stella
Current 4x4: 1985 Hilux 4x4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Waarvan bou 'n mens n dakrak?

Post by Ds J »

Sommer net vir die interresantheid: waarvan bou 'n mens n dakrak? / Just out of curiosity: which materials to build a roof rack?

Square tubing frame with mesh iron bottom?

Hoekysterraam met laaghout vloer?

Aluminium?
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Re: Waarvan bou 'n mens n dakrak?

Post by David M »

Steel - much easier availability of materials in correct profiles and sizes and welding no problem but heavy.

Aluminium - I can not find the correct profiles, don't know an aluminium welder but is ideal because of weight.

I want to build something specific but am battling to find the correct profiles on the internet available in SA.....
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

There is aluminium profiles available but these profiles cost a bit more than the usual profiles. My wifes company ( Tectra Automation ) use various profiles for various projects from conveyors to flight simulators using a profile that looks like this...
offcut joins.jpg
offcut joins.jpg (281.36 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Excuse the jointing system....hahaha... as I was going to try use offcut pieces to make up a frame for a workbench. Have a look at the profile though. This is incredible strong and although I was using a 75 x 75, one can use a 20 x 20 or 25 x 50 ( sizes may vary slightly ) I know they have a bolting system that joins a 90 deg bend as tight as a full weld too. Unfortunately they don't make up roofracks, but I'm sure there is a profile similar to this available here somewhere.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David M »

ricster wrote:There is aluminium profiles available but these profiles cost a bit more than the usual profiles. My wifes company ( Tectra Automation ) use various profiles for various projects from conveyors to flight simulators using a profile that looks like this...
offcut joins.jpg
Excuse the jointing system....hahaha... as I was going to try use offcut pieces to make up a frame for a workbench. Have a look at the profile though. This is incredible strong and although I was using a 75 x 75, one can use a 20 x 20 or 25 x 50 ( sizes may vary slightly ) I know they have a bolting system that joins a 90 deg bend as tight as a full weld too. Unfortunately they don't make up roofracks, but I'm sure there is a profile similar to this available here somewhere.
Any idea where they source this profile from?
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

aus Deutschland...... They are part of Bosch Rexroth, hence why I mentioned it isn't cheap, but it is as strong as ........ a Patrol !! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Regards
Cedric
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D

Post by graham1 »

ricster wrote:aus Deutschland...... They are part of Bosch Rexroth, hence why I mentioned it isn't cheap, but it is as strong as ........ a Patrol !! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Funny you mention all this - my father in law is currently in the process of building a small roof rack for a portion of his pajero, and he was going to build a full roof rack for me before I bought my new patrol that already has a rack.

He works for a company in kempton that is part of Bosch Rexroth, and so he is using this aluminum thats been mentioned above, as well as some slightly different profiles that also come out of them. His project is starting to turn out very very nicely, I honestly think it might be the best looking rack out there at the moment now, and the best part is the entire thing is sliding and bolting together, so no welding.

Its seems the most expensive part is going to be getting the feet to bolt the rack to the roof gutters now though.
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David M »

graham1 wrote:
ricster wrote:aus Deutschland...... They are part of Bosch Rexroth, hence why I mentioned it isn't cheap, but it is as strong as ........ a Patrol !! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Funny you mention all this - my father in law is currently in the process of building a small roof rack for a portion of his pajero, and he was going to build a full roof rack for me before I bought my new patrol that already has a rack.

He works for a company in kempton that is part of Bosch Rexroth, and so he is using this aluminum thats been mentioned above, as well as some slightly different profiles that also come out of them. His project is starting to turn out very very nicely, I honestly think it might be the best looking rack out there at the moment now, and the best part is the entire thing is sliding and bolting together, so no welding.

Its seems the most expensive part is going to be getting the feet to bolt the rack to the roof gutters now though.
Any chance of a photo or 2 of what he has done/is doing?
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

Seen some build with alu and connect it - how strong they are......... don't know but my packing system of 3yers is still working 100%
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

"He works for a company in kempton that is part of Bosch Rexroth"..... which company?.... I'll have a huge giggle if its the same company.... small world hey?
Regards
Cedric
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D

Post by graham1 »

ricster wrote:"He works for a company in kempton that is part of Bosch Rexroth"..... which company?.... I'll have a huge giggle if its the same company.... small world hey?
Hes at Hytec. Yes, a very small world! When I first scanned through this thread I had to double check that it wasnt actually my father in law posting on here! Its just been in the past month that me and him have been working out the rack with this aluminum. Amazing that we're not the only ones who thought this is good stuff for a roof rack.

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”