Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: No reverse gear A/T

Post by Clem »

Thanks for the update Eddie. I think I am going to be more gentle on my autobox from now on...
IR_Eddie
Full Name: Eduard groenewald
Nickname: IR_Eddie
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX ('07)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by IR_Eddie »

ATF = Auto transmission fluid :redface: - Thanks for the correction Chris.

Box is being done by Triangle transmissions in Parrow - CPT. They came recommended by someone else on this forum and also by SAC's.
NMAD
Full Name: noel
Nickname: happy
Home Town: C
Current 4x4: 20
Home Language: E

Post by NMAD »

Hi Eddie

I have been following this thread, sorry to hear your auto box gave in like that.

I searched the auto fluid that they want to put in your transmission and it does not look like it is compatible with the transmission.http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage ... f506e.html

You must only use Nissan Matic J, there are numerous stickers on the front of the car under the bonnet and also on the auto filler hole that says only use Matic J as any other fluid can damage the automatic transmission.

I have the same 2007 Patrol as you and I just changed the auto box fluid with Matic J from Nissan.

You must also get a dipstick which you can use to check that the auto box fluid level is correct. Once its correct it would not normally drop so you only need to check it every few thousand KMs. Its also good to see the condition of the fluid to give an idea of when to replace it. I replaced mine at 120000km.
IR_Eddie
Full Name: Eduard groenewald
Nickname: IR_Eddie
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX ('07)

Post by IR_Eddie »

NMAD - well spotted and thanks for your valuable input. i checked the website and agree that the fluid they propose does not seem to be compatible. Ive send the guy an email just now and will give him a call tomorrow to discuss and ask him to rather use the Matic J from Nissan.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

IR_Eddie wrote:NMAD - well spotted and thanks for your valuable input. i checked the website and agree that the fluid they propose does not seem to be compatible. Ive send the guy an email just now and will give him a call tomorrow to discuss and ask him to rather use the Matic J from Nissan.
Jip i have heard of guys having broken seals becouse of compatible oil ....the only problem is it comes in 20l tins
:thumbup:
NMAD

Post by NMAD »

Eddie, Nissan in strand had two 20l drums of the stuff and you just take your own CLEAN container and they pour out how much you need into your containers.

I had my oil changed at nissan Milnerton and they only replace the amount they removed but what's to say that it's at the correct level? This is where the Nissan factory transmission dipstick must be used but of course Nissan Milnerton don't have one so I had to make one up and lo and behold my fluid level was a bit low (750ml to top it up). (I even ordered the Nissan dipstick but they sent me the wrong dipstick :think: )

Haynes have a Nissan Patrol workshop manual which perfectly lists the dimensions of the dipstick to make your own one.

So I bought a litre from Nissan Strand ( this is where Milnerton got their fluid for my oil change)

The price of the fluid was almost 50% cheaper at Nissan strand than from Milnerton so I complained to the parts manager and they made the price the same! saved almost R1000 as it took 10 litres a few days prior when it was serviced at them. :thumbup:
NMAD

Post by NMAD »

The Nissan Patrol 5 speed auto transmision is the Jatco 5R05A transmission which is the same one used in the Infiniti , check out this link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatco_5R05_transmission

Here is an interesting technical bulletin from Infiniti regarding what fluid to use in the 5R05A which is Nissan Matic J.

SERVICE INFORMATION
If the automatic transmission in the new Q45 (F50) or G35 (V35) requires service, a new type of
automatic transmission fluid MUST be used. The new fluid is Nissan Matic-J.
The New Nissan Matic-J
• Only Nissan Matic-J automatic transmission fluid (P/N 999MP-MTJ00P) is specially formulated to meet the
exacting requirements of Infiniti's new 5-speed automatic transmission (RE5R05A).
• The RE5R05A transmission contains new internal components that require the use of
Nissan Matic-J only!
CAUTION:
• Usage of Nissan Matic-D or any other automatic transmission fluid in the RE5R05A 5-speed automatic
transmission will cause deterioration in driveability and transmission durability.
• Do NOT use any other fluid for the RE5R05A 5-speed automatic transmission, only use Nissan Matic-J.
• Use of any other fluid may result in damage to the RE5R05A 5-speed automatic transmission, which will
not be covered by the INFINITI warranty.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Where the heck do I obtain a dipstick for my 4.8 transmission then? Part number anyone?

Can one simply use a length of thickish bloudraad appropriately marked? If so, anyone got dimensions and markinp points etc? Maybe we could get a few made up this way?
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

31086VC20A Gauge Assy-Oil :thumbup:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

David wrote:31086VC20A Gauge Assy-Oil :thumbup: