Nickname: Edward
Home Town: Thabazimbi
Current 4x4: 1995 4.2SGL
2001 3.0 TD
Home Language: Afrikaans

4.2D vs. 3.0D

Post by EdwardWT »

Middag almal
Ek is nuut tot hierdie forum, ek soek bietjie raad van die manne wat ervaring het van Patrols.

My pa kom saam met die Patrol van sy 1987 Safari bakkie, 2.8l Safari stasiewa, 4.2l Petrol Patrol SGL (1995) en sy onlangse 4500 GRX. Ek is so te sê in die goed grootgemaak.
Maar nou staan ek op die punt van my eie Patrol koop en die keuse van watter een.
Kan julle my asb raad gee en die voor en nadele van die 4.2d en die 3.0d. dinge soos brandstof verbruik ens sal waardeer word.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: 4.2D vs. 3.0D

Post by ricster »

Firstly.....Welcome !!!

Ok ..... this has been discussed many many times before, and there is always different opinions.

Here's my opinion:

The diesels are brilliant.... except for storming sand dunes in Namibia etc.

4.2 diesel ( non turbo) is a donkey..... moerse strong but slow and steady. It is an incredibly reliable and strong motor and will give you 500 000 km easily. Fuel consumption on the non turbo is probably around the same as a turbo'ed 4.2 which depending on where you are driving around can give you anything from 12.5 L/100km to 19 L/100km ( still a lot more economical than a 4.5 or 4.8 petrol Patrol ). Mine is a turboed and intercooled 4.2 diesel and I do a lot of stop-start town driving and short distance everyday as I use my Patrol as my daily drive. Here I get around 16.5 l/100Km, but on the open road I can get it down to 14L/100km quite easily from JHB to Mozambique ( If I drive nicely at 120km/h )

The 3.0 diesel has a very bad reputation, yet there are many guys here that swear by them. I was not a fan of the ZD30 motor in the Patrol, but over time I have learnt to appreciate them. They are VERY powerful, and VERY economical. The ZD guys will tell you their consumption figures. But If you get one between 2000 and 2004 there are some things that need to be done to help prevent the issues from showing themselves. In my personal opinion, If I bought one of them that are between 2000 and even 2006, I would spend the extra money, open the motor check everything is ok with the pistons, and do the full NADS ( Stefan will explain this I'm sure) and drive that Patrol for many many years enjoying the fantastic fuel consumption !!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
EdwardWT
Full Name: Edward Weatherall-Thomas
Nickname: Edward
Home Town: Thabazimbi
Current 4x4: 1995 4.2SGL
2001 3.0 TD

Post by EdwardWT »

Thanks so much for the advice Ricster . I will definitely consider your opinion when making my final decision. My dad owns a 4500GRX petrol and he joker about the 4500 sticker that comes standard on the doors. He says its not engine displacement shown but rather fuel consumption in km per liter :lol:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

hahaha..... yip that is true !!!

But we didn't buy these monster machines for fuel consumption !!

The other nice thing about the TD42 motor is that it can run on almost any type of fuel. So if you are ever in a dodgy part of Africa and Paraffin is all you can get..... that td42 motor will even run on that, or even plain veggie oil diluted with a bit of paraffin. there is no electronics on the TD42 Patrols ( except the TD42T - as was the factory fitted turbo version fitted into the Patrol pickup before they changed to the ZD30 )
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Welkom Edward

Soos jy weet is enige Patrol 'n goeie Patrol, veral as hy petrol drink :lol:

Maar die diesels is eintlik ook baie goed. Ek wil net dit se: as jy 'n 4.2 diesel stasiewa koop met 'n turbo op, moet jy besef dat dit of 'n grys invoer is (en Nissan sal jou lewe moeilik maak met onderdele), of 'n veranderde voertuig. As hy verander is deur iemand wat sy storie ken, is dit 'n baie goeie voertuig wat, as ek nou regtig eerlik moet weer, baie dinge beter doen as my 4.5. Maar as 'n onkundige persoon die veranderinge aangebring het, moet jy versigtig wees.

Ek probeer nie die karre afkraak nie, al wat ek se is, as jy 'n turbo-diesel koop, is dit belangrik om die geskiedenis van die voertuig deur te kyk. Ek sou nie so 'n kar koop sonder 'n diensrekord of ten minste 'n olie-analise nie.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Baie welkom Edward!! :salute: :salute:
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Welkom as jy n 4.2 stasie wa kry is jy baie gelukkig.....ek stel voor jy kyk na crd diesel. ....
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

Welcome Edward.

I own a 3.0CRD Patrol. the car is great and is also used as a daily drive. I get between 6km/l to 9km/l depending on load and how I drive. it out performs the 4.2 turbo (the fastest one I know of on the forum anyways). My Patrol is also heavily kitted and weighs 2.8tons without me in it.

Unfortunately the first generation ZD30's had such a bad reputation that all is scared of anything that says 3.0ZD Patrol. so in SA only the BRAVE drive them. on the AUS Patrol forum they swear by these 3.0CRD Patrols. 3.0CRD Patrols running in Aus with access of 300 000km's. with out any issues.

I however did all the mods required to keep the old ZD30's running just for encase. I am not going to list them all know but you can just go through my posts.
what we mean by ZD30 CRD is that after 2007, Nissan completely changed the ZD30 Patrols fuelling system, computer or ECU, fuel pump and head. they run on more advanced or up to-date fuelling systems with common rail. I made a whole post of this as well. you can PM me you email address then I can send you the Nissan PDF on the changes as well as the reference doc. that explains all the older ZD30 issues and how to adjust your Patrol to compensate for those short Cummings.

their are a few guys here that have older models like Stefan. and his is still going strong with well over 200 000 km's. you must however take note that SA is slow on Patrols sales. so if you find a 2008 model it doesn't mean its a CRD. you must make sure before you buy. someone on the Forum has a 08 model and its still the older ZD30. I don't know what your budget is, but if its less than 200k your safest bet will be a 4.8. Tinus ran the daylights out of everyone in the river bed with that 4.8. I still need to get him on tar with heavy load, so that I can scare him a little :lol:

good luck with making a decision. and happy hunting. :salute:
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Welkom Edward

Yes this topic can last for ever and this really comes down to personal prefrance.

I am a diesel man so I went for the 4.2D, mine was turbo charged but it was not done properly and the engine over heated badly and was in pieces when I bought it. Mine gives between 6.5km/l and 7.5km/l and the lowest ever was 6km/l on my Namibia trip when I was close to 5 tons with over loaded Patrol and fully loaded trailer

Like Peter said, I would only buy a 4.2TD if I knew the whole history if it is even possable. To turbo charge a 4.2D you need to re do the whole engine in my opinion or you will never be able to get the full potential out of it. The EGT's on a turbo diesel run very high and if you dont have propper turbo pistons they will not last and eventually crack if the EGT's are not monitored and kept low. My engine had 4 cracked pistons

Going petrol is the safe way if you are willing to pay the fuel bill. They are more reliable than the diesels and the 4.8 really has loads of power.

I also think the newer 3.0crd Patrols are great. They are very powerfull and economic
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

Welcome Edward!