Wynvat
Full Name: Gerhard van Rhyn
Nickname: Wynvat
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX Y61 GU(4)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Engine Oil

Post by Wynvat »

I am in the habit of changing my Patrol's engine oil every 7 500km (normal service interval is 15 000km). So it gets serviced at the agents every 15 000km, and I change the oil and filter halfway between each service. It now stands at 65 000km.

I only use Total Quartz Racing 10W-50, which is a true Polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic oil formulated from Group IV Base Stock. This stuff is rather pricey at R370 per 5 litre. I also supply this to the agents when I take the Trollie in for a service.

Keeping in mind that I will probably only sell the Patrol when it is 10-15 years old and has done approximately 500 000km, I would be interested in hearing views on whether I would derive any real benefit from:

1. changing the oil so frequently;
2. using only true synthetic (read: "expensive") oil.

Logic tells me that no harm can follow, except to my wallet, but do I get any real benefit?
2007 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
Africa does not break a Patrol. A Patrol breaks Africa.
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Re: Engine Oil

Post by tour de frans »

Hallo Wynvat,ek antwoord jou n afrikaans,my engels is op vandag.
Daar is niks fout met wat jy doen nie,jy mors net n bietjie geld,net n bietjie.
Vol sintetiese olie is ook goed,sonder om tegnies te raak,sy nadeel is ,n enjin wat hard werk moet jy meer gereeld die olie optop.Dit geld nou vir n enjin wat se toere altyd hoog hardloop.Die ander nadeel is jy kan nie die olie meng met n ander tipe of half sinteties nie,verder doen jy reg.
Dis altyd mooi om te hoor hoe mense goed na hulle rygoed kyk :thumbup:
Groete
Frans
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

This can become a very interesting discussion :oldtimer:
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

I am with Frans on this one. There is nothing wrong with frequent oil changeing, but one of the specific benefits of synthetic oils is that they do not degrade as quickly as dinosaur oils, so 7500 km intervals on a petrol engine running synthetic oil would be a little excessive, I think. It would be interesting to experiment by doing regular oil sampling and analysis in order to determine what an appropriate oil change interval would be for your particular vehicle, oil choice and usage profile. Companies like Wearcheck can assist in this regard.
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
Wynvat
Full Name: Gerhard van Rhyn
Nickname: Wynvat
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX Y61 GU(4)

Post by Wynvat »

tour de frans wrote: Vol sintetiese olie is ook goed,sonder om tegnies te raak,sy nadeel is ,n enjin wat hard werk moet jy meer gereeld die olie optop.Dit geld nou vir n enjin wat se toere altyd hoog hardloop.Die ander nadeel is jy kan nie die olie meng met n ander tipe of half sinteties nie,verder doen jy reg.
Hallo Frans

I find the subject very interesting, although my knowledge thereof is very limited.

What I already understand about oil, is the following:

There are three different criteria which are important when selecting an appropriate oil.

First, the viscosity index, which ultimately pertains to the outside temperature in which the vehicle will operate.

Second, the API rating. The "S" rating pertains to petrol engines, and the "C" rating pertains to diesel engines. Generally, the further down the rating is on the alphabet, the greater the number of tests which the oil have passed, and the more modern it is. For instance, an oil with a rating of "SM" would have passed a greater number of tests, and would be more modern and advanced than an oil with a rating of say, "SJ".

Third, the category of base stock the oil is formulated from, i.e. Group I, II, III, IV or V. For purposes of this discussion, only Groups III and IV are relevant.

Group III base stock, I understand, is mineral oil that was subjected to the highest levels of refining available today in respect of mineral oils. Oils formulated from Group III base stock are commonly marketed as "synthetic" or "semi-synthetic" oils, but they are not "synthetic" in the true sense of the word.

Group IV base stock, I understand, is chemically engineered synthetic oil, also known as PAO's or Polyalphaolefins. Oils formulated from Group IV base stock are the only truly "synthetic" oils.

Synthetic oils formulated from Group IV base stock, are, in several respects, "superior" to oils formulated from Group III base stock, and for that matter also oils formulated from Groups I and II base stock.

I would apreciate a technical discussion to broaden my horizons.

Why would one have to top up more frequently in the case of hard working engines? And why can one not mix the oils?
2007 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
Africa does not break a Patrol. A Patrol breaks Africa.
Tjaart
Full Name: Tjaart Janse van Rensburg
Nickname: TJ
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Patrol 4500 GRX

Post by Tjaart »

I had a good 4x4 year last year where we went driving very often and in very difficult terrain.

I found that my engine oil was spent after just 7000km. It was black and sticky. I then realized that it is vital to service the engine more often the harder it works. From then on, 10K km service intervals, nothing more. And I clean my air filter regularly too. I must say that, with the snorkel installed, there is hardly any dust in there.

So, hard working engine = more frequent service. I try not to use too funny or exotic oils. When you get stuck in the wilderness, you might not get it....Basics
THE BRAVE
says
Aut PATROL aut nihil

Aut vincere aut mori
Mayhem
Full Name: Dennis Maytom
Nickname: Mayhem
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Intercooled (sold)
Nissan Patrol GQ SWB(for sale)
Home Language: English

Post by Mayhem »

Hi Guy's
I'm no expert on the oil story but I can say that synthetic are superior to mineral oil's but as Tjaart points out if using fansey oils in remote areas you will run into problems when you need to top up oil.I say use a good mineral oil and do more frequent oil changes :mytwocents:
1996 SWB GQ Patrol TD42 Turbo intercooled (150kw/600Nm) (Destroyed in Outback 2008)
2000 GU with TD42 out of GQ (sold)
Hadrbody/Patrol, LS6 Chev V8 (420 HP), Hummer auto box on 36' Iroc Tyres
G-MAN
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: A.G.HOLMES
Nickname: G-MAN
Home Town: Cape Town, Noordhoek
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX 2008, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2007, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2006, Defender 90 2.8i...
Home Language: Engels

Post by G-MAN »

I'm with Mayhem on this one, frequent oil changes with a good mineral based oil. :thumbup: I sometimes change my oil on my vehicle's and it's only done 1500km's, but it's been a year since the last oil change. :surprised:
Sucks Gas and Hauls Ass!
Ross
Full Name: Ross Holland
Nickname: Ross
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: 1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
aka "The Polar Bear"
Home Language: English

Post by Ross »

Ja, engines like clean oil....period, so there is certainly no mechanical disadvantage of doing more frequent changes.

The SA service interval on the 4.2D is 10 000km, but with the turbo fitted I use Delo 400 which is a high quality mineral oil, and change every 5000km. I`m hoping that this approach will get my Trollie to around the 600 000km mark (as with some of the guys in Aus) before I need to do any major work on her.
Ross

1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel: 2" OME, 33" Big Horns, 2x LR Tanks, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, Drawer System, etc etc
aka "The Polar Bear"
G-MAN
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: A.G.HOLMES
Nickname: G-MAN
Home Town: Cape Town, Noordhoek
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX 2008, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2007, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2006, Defender 90 2.8i...
Home Language: Engels

Post by G-MAN »

At the moment i do 10 000km's a year, "eish" 600 000km's is so far! :wink:
Sucks Gas and Hauls Ass!

Return to “09. Engines”