Trailers: Questions

Q&A: Stuff to make your trips and camping more comfortable.
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Trailers: Questions

Post by JohnBoyZA »

After much researching and soul searching (well it felt like it anyway), I am in the final stages of purchasing a 4x4 trailer. I am leaning towards the Mission and would like to know if anyone has one and what is your opinion?

Thank you
John
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Jacobus William Best
Nickname: Kosie
Home Town: MTUNZINI, Zululand coast
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Home Language: TWEETALIG

Re: Mission Trailer

Post by KOOS BEST »

John, if you like it , get it.
It looks great on their web page, the tent also looks likes its cool and airy, nothing as bad as a stuffy tent with no ventilation. And THERES NO WAY THIS ONE WILL RUST
What will be your application? Tour off the beaten tracks I hope.
My only gripe with some trailers, the kitchens are kitted out badly, :mytwocents: Get your own utensils and stuff you like and let them built it in for you.Every camper has his own favourite type of knives, pots , utensils ect . they usually fit those things with unpractical stuff.
Groetnis
Koos Best(Kosie)Mtunzini Zululand
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Patrol GU 2003 3.0d GRX (SOLD 2010)
Patrol GQ 1996 4.2d ST(SOLD 2007)
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by KOOS BEST »

John , another thing, get a stove with wind shields or let them make you some you can errect next to the stove , believe me you will stop somewhere where there is howling winds and than that stove means nothing.
Alu Cab in CPT , sells the beachcomber stove with shields and a griller , to do toast ect
Koos
G-MAN
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: A.G.HOLMES
Nickname: G-MAN
Home Town: Cape Town, Noordhoek
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX 2008, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2007, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2006, Defender 90 2.8i...
Home Language: Engels

Post by G-MAN »

Good looking trailer. :thumbup:
Sucks Gas and Hauls Ass!
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

John, that is a nice looking trailer!

What spec did you decide to order? What will it cost?

Which gas stove does it come with? I hate that little Cadac high pressire stove that uses two of the same burners as is used in the budget stoves that screw straight onto the gas bottle. They are only good for creating a tiny mass of burnt food in the middle of the pot while the rest remains uncooked :biggrin: :

Cadac sells a much better (also much bigger) stainless steel gas stove with proper burners and pressure regulator:

Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
Saltman
Full Name: Herbie Hellstrom
Nickname: Saltman
Home Town: Durbanville, Western Cape
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery Series 3 TDV6 Auto
Land Rover Discovery Series 1 Tdi.
Land Rover Discovery Series II Td5
Home Language: Afrikaans / English / German

Post by Saltman »

Hi John
Apologies for the long answer, but I believe in doing my homework before I jump in and buy. It took me nearly 18 months before I bought and I am really glad I did my research! On a Land Rover weekend outing in May 2009, we had a Mission accompanying us – well it was set-up as a marketing exercise.
I remember having had a good look at it and here are my recollections”
1. Nicely finished and very neat looking trailer.
2. I like the condensation sheet in the top section “ceiling”.
3. A bit thin where it matters – hinges, locks etc. Look at the catches that hold the sides closed, I only use some of those to keep my gas bottles tight in their brackets, NOT to keep the entire lid closed, locked and in place. The side door / panel hinges are only fixed by those short hinge areas. I have a concern with fibreglass and fatigue cracking stemming from motion and vibration cycles.
4. You are still bound to packing things in ammo boxes, believe me this becomes a pita!!!
5. Personally I am not a big fan of the thin nylon tent construction. Although there are advantages in terms of airyness, coolness etc, particularly during the hot summer. However when I am off the beaten track I prefer the extra sturdiness of the ripstop canvass. One of my previous trailers had a similar roof construction and it was not waterproof in medium to heavy rain conditions. Just have a look at the clearance between the canopy (dark green nylon) and the tent (light khaki). From one of the website images it looks as if the canopy is lying on the tent fabric. If this clearance is not adequate, you are bound to get wet inside the tent!
6. The newness factor scares me a bit. On the overland forum Alfred asked for some feedback on 30 Sept 2009. He asked a very valid question: How does the fibreglass body take to offroad (conditions)? Heinrich Nel asked a similar question 24 Aug 2009 on Landyonline. Neither have had any responses to date. Has the trailer proven itself yet? There is a reason why the established makes are a little more expensive – they have paid their school fees!
7. The towing hitch assembly also does not inspire confidence. I am biased as I have an overrun brake setup that is very sturdy (but also heavy).
8. From one of the images on their website I see that the ladder was located in the entrance to the tent area. This is nice as you are able to fit a double bed / mattress on the floor, however it is impractical for getting in and out of the tent. Just have a look whether it is an issue, can the ladder be shifted in a horizontal plane? If it can, where would you locate it if there was a double bed on the floor?
9. Nice big loadbox in the nose. As long as you never put your fridge in there!!! Or load all the heavy items in the nose! Ask around for guys who have had problems with compressors packing up etc. If I am not mistaken either Gerrit, Koos or Faffa wrote up something regarding this issue. The nosecone is closed during travelling, causing a heat build up inside the box and the vibration is also death to a fridge. Is there space somewhere for a fridge inside the trailer? If the family is going to / has grown, then one fridge in the car will not suffice for extended trips.
10. Have a look at how the watertank is secured on the floor. Does it have a protective layer underneath (carpet, foam etc) and is there a protective layer underneath the metal straps to prevent chafing?
11. The jockey wheel is quite seriously offset to one side as a result of the folding mechanism. It is brilliant for folding it out of the way when towing, it is not so great when you get into the trailer to sleep. You then place quite a strain on that offset fitting and will make the nose unstable. If you are able to find a demo unit, check this out as it is annoying if you turn around in your bed at night and the entire trailer wobbles around the nose. I have 2 jockey wheels – one of the reasons is to prevent that instability. The manufacturers argument is bound to be that they have 2 stabilisers at the back, even so, just confirm for yourself that it will not be an issue.
12. I agree with Gerrit, get a decent gas stove!!! It is really annoying early in the morning when you have killed the previous night’s fire, to battle with a puny heat source in a strong wind just to make that 1st cup of coffee! The one with the better burners works really well and although the flame is also affected by really strong winds (without a wind shield), it still gets the job done whereas the “normal” version is blown out. We have also not yet had a problem with clogging nozzles etc, as experienced by friends with the normal version.
13. I know you have been looking for a while, but beware buyer’s remorse. Carry on doing your homework to reach a decision that will suit not just you, but also those that will use the trailer with you (partner, wife, kids etc). My wife was the deciding factor as she had real practical questions that some manufacturers could not resolve satisfactorily!

Happy hunting!
:salute:
Saltman:
One foot in Land Rover land and one foot in Patrol land and the sensitive bits are hanging in the salty sea in between!
G-MAN
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: A.G.HOLMES
Nickname: G-MAN
Home Town: Cape Town, Noordhoek
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX 2008, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2007, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2006, Defender 90 2.8i...
Home Language: Engels

Post by G-MAN »

:oldtimer: A little advice goes a long way! :salute:
Sucks Gas and Hauls Ass!
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by KOOS BEST »

Saltman, fantastic advise you gave here , well done !!!!!!!!!!
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Sjoe, Saltman (and others),

thanx again for the excellent advice. :thumbup:

On the other trailer thread I discuss my needs. In summary I need a 4x4 luggage trailer, but this could grow into a camping tailer. Thanx for the advice on the tents (wasn't impressed) and stoves as well, but I'm going to order the trailer stock standard and will ask for more advice when kitting it out. The first step is the fridge. The nose cone is perfect for my 40l, but what you're saying concerns me. Will placing the fridge in the in the trailer iteself actually be better? Consider I won't be doing serious 4x4 with the trailer. More for overlanding (Moz/Nam etc) - potholled roads etc. It's just so convenient in the nose cone section.

Yup you are dead right about the newness factor. They have already made a number of improvements. The atttraction to me is the weight, the non-rust fibreglass and the price.
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by KOOS BEST »

JohnBoyZA wrote: Will placing the fridge in the in the trailer iteself actually be better? Consider I won't be doing serious 4x4 with the trailer. More for overlanding (Moz/Nam etc) - potholled roads etc. It's just so convenient in the nose cone section.
For sure it will be. Why do you want too spend big bucks on a Fridge and a dual bat system which is installed in the trailer, which it get used only once a year.
Have it installed with a slide in the car and the battery system , and youll see you will use it much more even to AD trips on weekends or to transport a nice succulent Karoo lamb back home. The front cone box need to be packed with the suitcases , sleeping stuff ect ect .the soft stuff which you can stuff it full without having massive weight on your towhitch.

John , a trailer has worked for me very well.I take everything incl the kitchen sink on holiday.Saying that , through experience you build up your own camping inventory lists, and believe me they differ as well for example a beach holiday, a bosveld holiday, a genuine 4x4 safari ect ect.

I can e mail you my list, its on a spreadsheet.
Groetnis

Return to “19. Overlanding/Camping Equipment”