Tony
Full Name: Antonio Barone
Nickname: Tony
Home Town: Greyton - W/Cape
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: English

4.8 Fuel Consumption improvements??

Post by Tony »

Hi guys, as you all know, I am about to take the leap over to the petrol side of the fence!! Now, with being used to between 11 & 12 l/100 km and a range of just under 1000 km's on my two tanks, I am already beginning to think of what can be done to get the best consumption out of this beast!

The car is fitted with 30" muddies which I believe is already bad news (Can be replaced with standard size)
It will have my roofrack back on (can be removed if not needed)
Those two options are easy enough - I also just spoke to Steve at RGM today and asked him if anything can be done from his side and his immediate reply was - "decat and chip to remap for better consumption"
What are your suggestions - and has anyone gone that route, if so, is there any merit in doing it?
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 4.8 Fuel Consumption improvements??

Post by Alex Roux »

Hi Tony

Firstly, congratulations on a great buy. That is a beatiful 4.8 you got yourself.
On the tyre front, I have a set of 31" HTs that we can can swap/trade if you are interested.
Wrt your roofrack, I would suggest an aluminium plate that is mounted at 45degr on the front of the roofrack. Ben added one for me.
I would consider the chip route too, but if you go to RG motorports, rather have the Unichip installed, that allows you to switch from low fuel to rich fuel mixtures. This is in case you need more oemf, depending on the situation.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.

Post by AndriesS »

My 5 cents, the whole chip it , get more power better fuel consumption on a NA engine is a bit of a farce , On a turbo motor it is easy, crank the boost up and the seat-o-meter (bum on the seat feeling) will tell you there is more power. On a NA it’s so so. But my biggest concern is that you add extra things that could go wrong, how many people have you heard of that have removed these aftermarket chips as they have hesitations etc. This is even more of a problem when it’s not a plug and play but rather cut, solder etc.

So let’s say the chip and proper Dino sets you back 10k (optimistic for Mr Greeen) and gives you 10 percent improvement with pretty new power graphs. Then they tell you fit a K&N filter and and and.

So for every tank you save R120 , or 60km (5km/l * 130)
So over 83 tank fills or rather 54k km you are finally even , and hopefully in that time let’s say 3 years you have not had any issues.

Decat should make a difference, just make sure it’s not already done and earlier 4.8s did not have a cat .

Any Patrol petrol engine and fuel efficiency is mutually exclusive. But the over design does create a motor that outlast most.

But that is my opinion on a chip and would love to proven wrong. I’m tuner, I’ve done side draughts, cams, high compression ratios etc but those you can do on a engine that costs a diem to fix, I won’t do it on a 60k engine unless it’s already broken.
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

Good advise :thumbup:

I would also avoid going the chip route as the gains are too small. If you want to save fuel you will only do so by removing anything additional that creates drag like roofracks, additional lift, bull bars etc. and going to low rolling resistance tyres like HT's and running them at higher pressures to further reduce drag. :sleep:

Me - I can't drive like an old toppie and I like to dice the students in their Gti's so I can't give a damn about fuel consumption as it takes all the fun out of having a 4.8 :blonde:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Diddo....pump your muddies hard....they roll better leave the chips for simba ...remove cat and thats it :mytwocents:
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

One more thing to consider is a long range fuel tank.
Even if you are happy to feed all your horses, range still needs to be adressed
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Maybe you can also clean the PCV to get better fuel consumption - I did this with my 4.5 Patrol and get better fuel consumption.
Attachments
PCV-48.jpg
PCV-48.jpg (171.16 KiB) Viewed 5657 times
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

I agree with andriess. De-Cat will increase power a little and prolong engine life. At 80km/h a farrari and a brick has the same drag. So just drive slower. I tested this with my 4L Navara. At 100km/h I got 7.2 and at 120km/h I got 5.6. This was in one trip same load and conditions. We where going to the kgalagadi. Its +- 1200km from where I am. And I could only do over 400k's on a tank. So I had lots of k's to play around. :lol:
It was chipped with a dastek as well. More power more feul. Sad but true. :mytwocents:
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

For me i haven't heard of anybody having hassles with standard tank set up....95% of the time you will be cool with 140l .....if you need more put jerry cans on the roof...n have 4 that gives me 80l extra when i need it ....to many stories of cracked stainless ect ect....
Tony
Full Name: Antonio Barone
Nickname: Tony
Home Town: Greyton - W/Cape
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by Tony »

Ok boys, thats settled then - a decat will be in order. Thanks for all the advice, now all I need is to get the damn ball rolling so I can feel the difference between petrol & diesel!!
Johan Visagie (from the west coast) just whatsapped me to let me know that he is planning to fly up next week Thursday so that we can conclude the deal, that means that I can have my new baby by next weekend. :woo: :blonde:

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”