Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D
Home Language: Afrikaans

EGR ZD30

Post by JoshJ »

Hi Guys,

I want to know who of you fellow diesel owners have blocked of their EGR? For how long and what was the findings?
I am blocking mine within the next few weeks and just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. :think:
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: EGR ZD30

Post by Peter Connan »

Josh there is a thread on SA4x4community at the moment. Dave Faddel's motor hand-grenaded recently, and during the discussion somebody posted a link to an article, which is quite an interesting read.

Here they recommend NOT blocking off the EGR, but this seems to be a contentious issue...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

http://allstatemechanicalrepairs.com/co ... rol-diesel

This is the link that Peter refers to. Very interesting read.

(I haven't done mine, if that says anything)
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by JoshJ »

Thanks Peter and Stefan.
This is a very interesting read. Stefan the fact that you have done so many k's does carry a lot of weight. Plus I enjoy your sense of humour :rolling:

Do you also have the overboost problem? My trol is pap in 5th gear. And overtaking is dreadful. 1st,2nd,3rd gear no problem very strong and punchy. Get on the open road and nothing. You can't even full it pulling in 5th. It just keeps the 110km. If you want more you must wait for a downhill. Is this it? Or is there more?
I am going to Namibia in December. I'll be towing a trailer. And i am all ready dreading the idea of driving 7000k's with a car that can hardly cope with 110k's a hour when its empty. Maybe I'm just expecting to much from the kar.

What mods have you done stefan?

Regards,
Joshua
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

JoshJ wrote:Thanks Peter and Stefan.
This is a very interesting read. Stefan the fact that you have done so many k's does carry a lot of weight. Plus I enjoy your sense of humour :rolling:

Do you also have the overboost problem? My trol is pap in 5th gear. And overtaking is dreadful. 1st,2nd,3rd gear no problem very strong and punchy. Get on the open road and nothing. You can't even full it pulling in 5th. It just keeps the 110km. If you want more you must wait for a downhill. Is this it? Or is there more?
I am going to Namibia in December. I'll be towing a trailer. And i am all ready dreading the idea of driving 7000k's with a car that can hardly cope with 110k's a hour when its empty. Maybe I'm just expecting to much from the kar.

What mods have you done stefan?
dude.....I drive a 4.8 so power is less of a problem to me I am no diesel expert but I have driven with and in a lot of 30l and we cruise lekker at 130 .....something not lekke with your car......maybe give frans a call ?
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Definitely sounds like you have a problem...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by JoshJ »

The only mod i have done was fitting 33inch muds. But it surely cant effect it that much? Fuel consumption dropped from 9 to 7.6km/l. And it doesn't pull of in 2nd gear as easily as it used to. But the rest is still the same.

I had all that filter trouble in the beginning. I wonder if some of that dirt did not get into the banji filter (the steel mesh filter) that is inline just before the pump. Does my car have one? Think I read somewhere that they stopped fitting them in the later models.
I just had a friend drive the car and he agrees that somethings wrong. He says it feels like the accelerator, ecu and the turbo are not on the same page. The response is slow. Put foot then nothing happens. Pump the peddle and once lifting his foot slightly off it starts to respond. This is a guy that has never driven a Patrol. And he drove it alone. I was driving his bakkie And he describes exactly what is described in the reference doc.

After I adjusted the VNT screw there is an improvement. when in 4th gear at 2000rpm she now has a definite power boost and accelerate nicely through the rev range which he never did.
Eish :think:

Regards,
Joshua
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

I think you need to just take it for a run on a dyno.....after you changed the filters ....have look at power and torque. ...then you will know ....rather be safe. ..
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

that VNT Turbo is SUPER SENSITIVE .. take it to TURBOWORKS .. speak to Jan Visser - and let them INSPECT it for you and service if needed.
[Klomp van jou goed klink vir my na n ongesonde turbo ]
(jan@turboworks.co.za) 012 653 2295
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by JoshJ »

Al 2 filters is vervang. Van daar af het ek nog nie weer n probleem gehad dat die kar vrek nie. Dink jul die feit dat die filters die pomp gestarf het, kon hom dalk seer gemaak het.

Ek sien Frans en Groot seun het elk hul opinie oor die EGR af blok. Een is vir en een teen. Al2 is ervare manne. So dit maakmens nie veel meer verseker voel oor wat om te doen.
JG Shields het syne af geblok lees ek met goeie resultate. Sien sy motor het ongelukkig gebreuk later. Weet ongelukkig nie vir hoe lank hy hom so gery het nie.

Nissan blok die EGR graag en verniet af sien ek so met my gesurf. Dit se my 2 dinge. Hulle besef dis beter en spaar hulle later baie kopsere of hulle weet dis nadelig en sien al die geld wat hulle kan maak :lol: hulle doen nie sommer iets verniet nie.
:think: :think: :think: :think: so ek wonder steeds. Is niemand wat met n af gblokte EGR ry vir n geruime tyd nou al wat net vir my kan se wat hulle findinge is nie. Pls ouens :pray:

Oom Mac, my Trol nog onder waarborg. Wil nie graag dit verbeur deur dat anner manne aan hom werk nie. Ek sien dis groot geld as da iets fout gaan. So ek sal ma aan daai waarborg klou so lank ek kan.

Regards,
Joshua

Return to “09. Engines”