Full Name: Marnus Malan
Nickname: marakasmalan
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: '94 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

General maintenance / trip preparation

Post by marakasmalan »

Good day forum folk!

We are planning a trip through Lesotho under the banner Maluti Madness, not that there is really anything mad or strange to it - just a name. For everybody participating I offered some pre-trip background expansion opportunities and would like to extend this welcome to other forum member. Just for the record: Yes, it is a scam intended at aquiring more manpower, knowledge and skills for the preparation phase. See dates below.

Experience and preparation opportunities:

Do you feel your mechanical knowledge and experience is not up to the task? Or are you worried your understanding of the inner works of a Birfield joint may leave you embarrassed at the campfire? Do you feel deprived for not having overhauled a carburettor before in your life? Would you hate a faux pas when rendering assistance during a roadside running repair? Do not worry, Maluti Madness offer you the ideal opportunity to touch up your mechanical knowledge and tech-lingo by offering you the following courses included in your participation fees. Courses with corresponding dates listed below:

Course 1: Basic introduction: Learn how to jack up a 4x4, Remove and replace the wheels, pressure clean the chassis and learn how to use a "grease nipple".
Friday 1 Nov., 15:30 -17:30. This event will be followed by a braai where participants can further develop their tech-lingo.

Course 2: Fuel supply systems: Carburettor overhaul, altitude compensator service and timing adjustment (you even get to use a strobe light!)
Sat 2 Nov., 07:00 - 17:00. This event will be followed by a braai where participants can further develop their tech-lingo.

Course 3: Suspension: Experience the pleasures of fitting Ironman shock absorbers & replacing trailing arm bushes!
Fri 8 Nov., 15:30 -17:30. This event will be followed by a braai where participants can further develop their tech-lingo.

Course 4: Electrical systems: Rewire and fit part of a vehicle harness, replace fuses and light bulbs. Learn how to replace a telescopic-electric antenna.
Sat 9 Nov., 07:00 - 17:00. This event will be followed by a braai where participants can further develop their tech-lingo.

Course 5: Birfield joint disassembly: Open a birfield joint, remove bearings and clean housing.
Fri 29 Nov., 15:30-18:00. This event will be followed by a braai where participants can further develop their tech-lingo.

Course 6: Replacing bearings: Grease and fit wheel bearings. (you even get to use a torque wrench!)
Sat 30 Nov., 07:00 - 17:00. This event will be followed by a braai where participants can further develop their tech-lingo.

Course 7: General expedition preparation: No idea what this course may contain apart from fitting a snorkel. (you even get to see something strange!)
Sat 1 Dec., 07:00 - 17:00. This event will be followed by a braai where participants can further develop their tech-lingo.

Any other suggestions or feedback is welcome. Speak your mind prior to the trip or remain silent for the duration thereof.

Look forward to the next 7 preparation weeks.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Re: General maintenance / trip preparation

Post by Tinus lotz »

Klink my jy wil groot gaan!
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

Die hele ketoet hierbo is grieks vir my :oldtimer:
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

WOW !!!!

This is frikkin brilliant !!!

I would be definitely interested in doing course 3, 4, 5 & 6..... but am confused.... which is not difficult :lol: :lol: Where are these courses going to take place? Is it a weekend away in Lesotho, or is that part of the "scam" and these courses will take place somewhere near you?

Oh yes, and the important question.... How much?
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
marakasmalan

Post by marakasmalan »

Ok, sorry if it caused confusion.

We are going to Lesotho, but only later in December.

Before going, I have to spend a lot of time fixing the car. So, instead of struggling alone in the garage, I devised these "courses" so that there is always somebody to hand me a spanne, spare part or a beer.

These courses are by definition free, the braai afterwards will be a "bring and braai" and it will be held at my place. There are a few topics that is above my comfort level, so it may very well be that I have to ask one of the attendees to present the course or get in PC to instruct - the doing wil be done by myself or any eager attendees.

The scam lies in the fact that the course is the cover for me to have help and company available when performing these maintenance servicing.

Hope this is clear, non the less, everybody from the forum is welcome.

Regards

Marnus
marakasmalan

Post by marakasmalan »

Tinus lotz wrote:Klink my jy wil groot gaan!
Looking at our route, bobbejaans will be one of the easier legs of the trip. But I have a competent team and quality passengers on board.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

:thumbup: :thumbup: sweet Marnus.... I dig being a spanner boy.... or a beer bouncer !! And enjoy getting my hands dirty !!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD

Return to “16. DIY Projects”