Falken Wildpeak AT Tyres

Blitzpatrollie
Full Name: Gavin Kukard
Nickname: Gavin
Home Town: Croc Valley Conservancy, Nelspruit
Current 4x4: 2003 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX Auto (Gold)
Home Language: English

Falken Wildpeak AT Tyres

Post by Blitzpatrollie »

Hey guys,

I have ordered blind, a set of 4 Falken Wildpeak AT tyres. Very nice looking tyre, aggressive enough tread pattern, and apparently the quietest of all AT tyres. Wet tar performance also apparently unmatched. I have not seen these tyres on a vehicle yet, but saw how they look at HiQ in Nelspruit. I got them for R2364 per tekkie at errolstyres.co.za. Far cheaper than most of our regular brands. Apparently these tyres have 8 ply tread and 3 ply sidewall, much like the BFG AT. I have driven BFG, Cooper, Bridgestone, Hankook and so far Cooper stays my favourite, but battle to find them these days...

Anyway, my question is this: Have any of you guys tried these? Performance? Fuel Consumption? Puncture resistance? Im a bit nervous, but the reviews on foreign websites are very good. Only down side apparently is you have to deflate a lot to druk 'n boepens on the sidewall in soft sand...

Let me know guys!

Gav
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Falken Wildpeak AT Tyres

Post by Alex Roux »

Blitzpatrollie wrote:Only down side apparently is you have to deflate a lot to druk 'n boepens on the sidewall in soft sand...
Gavin, I guess that the lack of boepie / bulge is typical of the three sidewall tyres. BFG is the same in this respect. Not the best for sand and apparently you can lose the tyre more easily in sand as well becuase of no boepie.
The long an short of it is that there is not perfect tyre.
I currently drive wiith Bridhgstone Duellers MT, and the tyre is very capable, only two-ply (double sidewall), and soft. As a result, the life I am getting out of it is depressingly short.
Next time I will defientely be going back to the harder, stiffer longer life tyre.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Swazi
Full Name: Rick van Selm
Nickname: Swazi
Home Town: Richard Toll, Senegal
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2D GL, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Post by Swazi »

I had a set of these tyres on a Land Cruiser wagon and they were fine. Handling OK and tar road cruising quiet enough. Off-road was average. Totoal mileage was about 35-40000 kms if I remember right. Used the same tyres on our fleet (4x4s) and they did well on the vehicles generally (Isuzu and Toyota twincabs, Land cruiser and patro bakkies). For the price they were good value.
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Jorrie »

The price is certainly good.
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

I prefer a stronger side wall tire can't omment on those ones but the milage seems to be a bit short ....what is about the load rating ??? I know the kumos are not bad cedric swears by them . To me its muddys or nothing ..happy with km2 the cooper stt and goodyear mtr tyres. I get about 100000km on those for about 3k .what size tires did you order ?.I can recommend 33 for your lorrie 285 75 16 works well
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

The boepie when deflating doesn't matter. The tread of the tire actually get longer, hence the better grip and flotation on sand.
Blitzpatrollie
Full Name: Gavin Kukard
Nickname: Gavin
Home Town: Croc Valley Conservancy, Nelspruit
Current 4x4: 2003 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX Auto (Gold)

Post by Blitzpatrollie »

Well glad some guys have used these before. I'm a little nervous about being a guinea pig for a product, have spent aloooot of money on cheap stuff before with obvious results. I base my decisions on independent reviews :)

I ordered the 33" yes, 285/75/16, apparently also a true 33" tyre. Price was very good, cost me R10k almost on the dot for a set of 4, shipped to my door in Nelspruit from East London. Ordered a BFG AT in same size second hand for the spare. Both should arrive today or tomorrow, then will fit and post a pic here :)

As far as mileage goes, I'll know when I get there, HOWEVER, Falken issues these tyres with 50 000mile warranty, so 80 000km. Pretty respectable I think for a manufacturer to guarantee their product to last as long as the likes of Cooper, whom I know VERY well. Love coopers. Time will tell, and I'll let you guys know :)
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

I had a set on my Disco 3 not AT but HT, good tyre but did not get the ware I was expecting out of them, also had uneven ware out of them, if I remember correctly backs ware out before the fronts. But for the price I paid not a bad tyre

Return to “14. Rims & Tyres”