Nickname: Ruari
Home Town: Wilgeheuwel
Current 4x4: posibly a Patrol 4.5 GRX 2001
Home Language: English

Patrol 4.5 GRX 2001 - Where can I take her for a check up

Post by Ruari J »

Hi Guys,

Hoping that you can lend a hand here.

I am looking to purchase a 2001 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX but before I put pen to paper I would like to get the vehicle inspected by either a Nissan Patrol fundi or take it to a dealer or reputable garage that will be honest with me and give me truthfull report on the car.

I am based in Wilgeheuwel, jHB (Roodepoort).

Is there anyone you could recommend I take the car to in this area?
What are things that I should look out for on the car. It has 223 000km on the clock, iron man suspension, snorkel and I think SACS installed a KNN filter and free flow on the vehicle.

thanks a mill.
Ruari
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Patrol 4.5 GRX 2001 - Where can I take her for a check up

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

Hi Ruari,

I hope that one of the Gauteng members might know of someone who could help or might be able to check the vehicle out with you themself.

Rest assured that the 4.5 Patrol is a tough and durable old beast. It is quite a simple vehicle (in the modern sense of the word) and the basic design philosophy was to over-engineer it so that it can remain reliable even after many years of hard work.

Having said that, it would be a good idea to do the normal types of checks that one would carry out before buying any second hand vehicle. It might be useful to have an AA inspection carried out. Typical things to check on any used vehicle would include:
* Check that the clutch engages without knocks or vibrations
* Check that there are no drivetrain vibrations/whines with the clutch engaged or disengaged at standstill
* Engage all drivetrain modes and make sure that everything works (4H, 4L, rear diff lock)
* Check the engine mounts
* Ensure that the aircon works well
* Check for leaks underneath: Japanese cars don't leak unless something is wrong. Have a good look at the front wheel swivel hubs.
* Check for suspension lean/sag
* Ensure that you get the original master and spare keys as well as remotes
* Listen for noises created by the alternator and water pump
* Check that all electrical/electronic gadgets work (aerial, mirrors, windows, hazard flasher, lights, fans, etc.)
* Check that the seat recliner handles or electrical controls work

Although the Y61 Patrol (and particularly the 4.5 version of it) is a sturdy machine, some issues have been identified over the years

Body & Chassis
The following bodywork items sometimes give problems on Patrols that have worked very hard or have seen serious off-road use:
* Check rear spring mounts/towers for bending/cracks
* Check front recovery point for damage
* Check the rear barn door hinge points. Look for cracks
* Check that the barn door mounting/catch bolts are not loose
* Check that the rear light clusters (in bumper) are not loose
The barn door light contacts also sometimes give problems and then the interior lights flicker or remain on when the doors are shut

Drivetrain
* Check that the auto hubs operate without grating or repeated clacking noise when in auto mode
* Ensure that the rear diff lock (which is vacuum actuated) engages in 4H and 4L

Fuel system
* Ensure that the sub tank pump works

Suspension
* Check that the vehicle does not wander on the road or suffer from wheel shimmy

Transmission
* Check for a whine in 5th gear
* Check for difficult gear change 4th to 5th (or 5th to 4th) when hot (could just need an oil change :wink: )

Engine (TB45E)
* Check for exhaust leaks from manifold gasket/flange gasket or cracked manifold

As you would have noticed, there are not really many issues relating to the bulletproof old TB45 motor. It is a low-revving, 2 valve per cylinder, pushrod motor with chain drive to the camshaft, so is really dead simple. :thumbup:
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
Ruari J
Full Name: Ruari Jansen

Post by Ruari J »

Thanks Gerrit,

great post.

I did notice that he rear light cluster was a little loose - but that wasnt in the bumper was the actual light cluster on the body panel. I'm sure that can be easily remedied. Mechanically she seems sound and the owner has sent her through Nissans 101 point check. The only findings out of this where that the back breaks needs replacing, front wiper blades and it needs to go for a 225 000km service.

Any ideas on what this service will cost?

I will do the breaks myself, not sure what else the service will in entail must still give Nissan a call.

One obvious thing in terms of the body work, the gloss on the bonnet has started to peel off, almost as if the car has stood in the sun or had something spilt on it in places. I cant see any accident damage to the vehicle nor signs of respray and the vehicle is actually pretty clean bar the bonnet. Any ideas what would cause this or know of other patrols having a problem with paint on the bonnet. I did notice that the car next to where she is kept had similar problems so I wonder if something has been spilt on the bonnet.

A mate of mine had a look under the car and all seem'd in order, however, one thing that was noticed was what looked like oil seepage on the gasket of the transfer case. It was leaking and apparent had some gasket sealant on it. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Nissan did not mention this in their report as a problem. (there check was done in June this year).

Other than that I am hopefull an AA check will reveal the rest or someone in JHB that knows the car will be able to assist.

thanks again for the reply - much appreciated.

Ruari
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

The peel off on the bonnet can possibly be this Amazing Glaze that is sometimes used to buff a vehicle, my little Golf was glazed 3 years ago and it is peeling at some spots. All I know is that all Nissan agents are extremely expensive so if the vehicle is out of warranty find a reputable mech in your area, sure one of the forum in your area can recommend someone

Regards
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Ruari J
Full Name: Ruari Jansen

Post by Ruari J »

Thanks Jules,

So far unfortunately no details have surfaced as to where I could take the vehicle for an inspection and possible service.

I phoned the AA and they will charge R790 to do a full technical evaluation - anybody know if this is worth doing?

regards
Ruari
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

Hi Ruari,

I doubt whether the AA check will tell you anything you don't already know. (The R780 does not include a full engine check, that's extra but could be worth it)

To be brutally honest, the car sounds like it's in pretty bad shape for a 2001. If it were me, I hang on to my cash and keep scouting.
Freakazoid
Full Name: Pierre Becker
Nickname: Pierre
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: GQ

Post by Freakazoid »

vd Linde of Maus. Nissan spesialiste en kan vir jou se of enjon OK is of nie.
Rittelin

Post by Rittelin »

I phoned the AA and they will charge R790 to do a full technical evaluation - anybody know if this is worth doing?
That seems to be the going rate. If you don't have a pal, connection or contact that can assist you, then that is the only remaining option to consider.

Normally one's 'gut' will tell you soon enough if you're on the right track or not...!? :wink:

I flew up to Bloemies 2-3 years ago to buy a '99 model L/C 4.5efi, not knowing anything about engines, gearboxes or drivetrains!? :surprised:

Today I can propably write a book on one... :lol:

Return to “17. Nissan SA, Alternate Service & Workshops”