GRX Second Spare Wheel & Increasing Fuel Capacity

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

GRX Second Spare Wheel & Increasing Fuel Capacity

Post by Clem »

Hi guys,

What are the available options for obtaining a second wheel rim for the GRX 4.8? I normally like to have two spare wheels when travelling any more or less remote areas. I am assuming purchasing a plain steel rim from Nissan will probably be fairly expensive (I have asked for a quote in the meantime).

What options are available for increasing the fuel capacity of the vehicle, other than by way of carrying jerry cans?

Clem
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: GRX Second Spare Wheel & Increasing Fuel Capacity

Post by ricster »

Clem, Northern Offroad in Randburg or Honeydew ( somewhere in that area) make a 140 litre stainless steel fuel tank to replace the existing 90L. so then with the sub and 140 tank you should reduce the number of jerries on the roof. I have heard that stainless can crack, but have been told that they are very good with costumer service and will always rectify a problem. I know a few guys in the Nissan 4x4 Club that have this tank fitted and are very happy. I want to get one too. I believe they are about R5000 - R 6000.... just need the bank managers approval... :lol: :lol:

http://www.northernoffroad.com/
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Great! Thank you Cedric – I have dealt with them before. I have only once had a complaint on the work and that was when they fitted metric nuts to a shock absorber tower on a Land Rover, which for some odd reason still used imperial standards back in 1996. The result was that the whole shock absorber tower fractured in the Luangwa Valley – I was unhappy but managed to make a plan.
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

Hi Clem, don't know about the fuel tank, but on the rims there is an ad running on Junkmail or Gumtree can't remember which one (bang in Nissan Patrol) I have just got 2 15" rims from him for my GQ for R400, if you don't come right there try Fastrak 011392-5901 they are out near the airport, they still do the old "Smiths" type steel rims I got some other 15" rims from them a few months ago at about R300 a rim brand new. Best of luck!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Yeah, that can work.... but your Patrol, I think has 17 inch rims.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS !!!!!!!!....... If you buy an alloy rim (not sure if the steel rim has the same problem), make sure it fits the hub properly. On the Patrol hub there is a small lip that prevents some alloy rims from fitting flush against the back of the hub where the wheel nuts screw in. I have seen it where a front left wheel came off and did a bit of body damage, and that was done by a 4x4 fitment centre!! So don't trust anyone with it... check it for yourself. On mine a had 4 x 5mm wheel spacers made to ensure that the rims sit perfectly on the hub. Alternatively you can get the rim inner id made a mm or 2 larger. I preferred the spacer option so if by chance I needed to "borrow" a rim from another vehicle, I would not have to worry.
Regards
Cedric
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

IanT wrote:Hi Clem, don't know about the fuel tank, but on the rims there is an ad running on Junkmail or Gumtree can't remember which one (bang in Nissan Patrol) I have just got 2 15" rims from him for my GQ for R400, if you don't come right there try Fastrak 011392-5901 they are out near the airport, they still do the old "Smiths" type steel rims I got some other 15" rims from them a few months ago at about R300 a rim brand new. Best of luck!
Hi Ian – thank you very much for the leads – I am going to chase them up.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

ricster wrote:Yeah, that can work.... but your Patrol, I think has 17 inch rims.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS !!!!!!!!....... If you buy an alloy rim (not sure if the steel rim has the same problem), make sure it fits the hub properly. On the Patrol hub there is a small lip that prevents some alloy rims from fitting flush against the back of the hub where the wheel nuts screw in. I have seen it where a front left wheel came off and did a bit of body damage, and that was done by a 4x4 fitment centre!! So don't trust anyone with it... check it for yourself. On mine a had 4 x 5mm wheel spacers made to ensure that the rims sit perfectly on the hub. Alternatively you can get the rim inner id made a mm or 2 larger. I preferred the spacer option so if by chance I needed to "borrow" a rim from another vehicle, I would not have to worry.
Many thanks Cedric – very useful information yet again. It would never have occurred to me to have checked this aspect. I am going to pull a wheel off the car when I get it to have a good look and understand what the situation is with that before I go out and buy a spare rim. I suspect you may have saved me a few dollars on this one. Thank you.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

My pleasure mate.... that's how we roll.... :lol: :lol:

Its actually crazy, its such a little lip can cause such a hiccup

see these links

http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... =10#p22084 last few pics of the white Patrol of Andrew and on the next page
Regards
Cedric
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

ricster wrote:My pleasure mate.... that's how we roll.... :lol: :lol:

Its actually crazy, its such a little lip can cause such a hiccup

see these links

http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... =10#p22084 last few pics of the white Patrol of Andrew and on the next page
Whoa! Ugly. A mate of mine driving a Land Rover on a corrugated road had a front wheel go adrift. Amazingly, no one was hurt, the wheel was refitted and the journey continued...

Looks like fun was had. Funny how the pics of these things always look a whole lot tamer than the reality.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

PS: what is that front bumper on Andrew's car? Looks like something a little different to the usual bullbar but seems to have hi-lift jack points?

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”