Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: 99 td42 head cracked

Post by ricster »

ha ha... if only I knew this when I did my motor.... :redface:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Andre Steyn
Full Name: Steyn
Nickname: Andre
Home Town: Rustenburg
Current 4x4: 99 Nissan Patrol Y61 4.2 Turbo intercooled Station wagon or Nissan patrol 4.2tdi pick up and now wifey's 2007 4.8 grx added to the family
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Andre Steyn »

Stefaansie hier is die nommer van Rustenburg diesel dienste 0145967815(jan) en Dan ook vir van die manne wat hull trols wil monitor die agent vir madman systems 0105903060(sales) weird nommer maar dit is in muldersdrift. Nie so duur as Wat ek aanvanklik verwag het nie.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Cool man.... I want to change my setup to a Madman system. But the bank manager .... she no like me lots.... What do they charge for a full setup?
Regards
Cedric
Andre Steyn
Current 4x4: 99 Nissan Patrol Y61 4.2 Turbo intercooled Station wagon or Nissan patrol 4.2tdi pick up and now wifey's 2007 4.8 grx added to the family

Post by Andre Steyn »

Well for a complete full house system that does everything water level,egt's, oil pressure cylinder temps water temps, there's alot! Its complete! Don't have an official quote yet but from my telephone conversation with the prices I was given it comes to about R5000 with installation. Which in my opinion is peanuts seeing as this rebuild is costing me R24000 without the turbo bits! Oh Yes and finally I have an answer as to Why my cylinder head broke the fuel pump and injectors are in a bad bad state the pump Plus 6 injectors is being refurbished at a cost of R4860! :thumbdown:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Thats VERY reasonable..... CRD charged me R10K to do my pump and injectors !!!

Then you were lucky that you didn't burn a hole in the pistons.... that's what happened with mine. Diesel dripping on one spot.

R24K to do what you did isn't bad mate !!!!
Regards
Cedric
Andre Steyn

Post by Andre Steyn »

Jo Cedric R10K either your pump was much worse than mine or they smoked you! Facts are its a big motor so considering its not too bad if the head wasn't dead it would have been half the cost. Plus I'm trying to use only the best everywhere! Question which intercooler placement is best bonnet or in front of the radiator? Pipes are trickey another issue I've noticed is the current air cleaner what mods must be done so it can be used with the cleaner or should I just replace it all together with a new cheaper Donaldsan system, by cheaper I mean the element. And its a double cleaner.
Andre Steyn

Post by Andre Steyn »

How many splines does the 99 patrol have on the free wheel hubs? I remember Oom mac mentioning 31 Will mine be the same?
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

hmmmm.... air cleaner... now this will be fun....

The air filter on my Patrol is from a ZD30 ( 3.0 Patrol ). It is a tight fit to say the least, as I have my dual battery in the engine bay too. Christo ( Chuck ) has a Donaldson cyclone filter box fitted if I recall correctly. The air filter for the ZD30 is available from GUD... believe it or not, it'a a Mann & Hummel filter in Mann & Hummel box....with a GUD sticker on... :surprised: and is not expensive ( cant recall he price off hand), but obviously the Donaldson will have a good filter too, and their prices are very reasonable too.
18072010632.jpg
18072010632.jpg (168.99 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
That red silicone air intake pipe from the turbo to the intercooler ( I/C) was a %$@# job so I had some stainless steel bends welded up and wrapped in heat resistant tape to get a smooth airflow into the intercooler.

Firstly you need to decide where your turbo is going to be mounted. Again Christo for example has his turbo fitted quite low down in the engine bay. Mine is fitted quite high up in the engine bay
240720101054.jpg
240720101054.jpg (167.54 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
There is varied opinions on the placement of the turbo. Mine was already fitted when I bought it, but was told that the main reason for fitting it so high was to prevent cold water ( boat launching or water crossing ) from touching a VERY hot turbo.... make sense :think:

Then as for intercooler placement. I have no space in front as I have the an extra oil cooler radiator between the grill and all the other radiators. I think this way will be the most efficient as cool air is rammed into it. They fitted mine on top. Mine is a rather big intercooler if I look at some other 4.2's intercoolers. This can be a problem..... if you have an aftermarket bull bar fitted that has a cross member in line with the bonnet, the air flow will be disrupted from flowing over the bonnet, and being scooped into the intercooler by the cowling. So you will need a powerful high volume electric fan to be fitted. The fan would be switched on either by the ignition switch or via a hand switch in the vehicle, or via both ( to prevent constantly running when not needed. I did an extra mod on my I/C by doubling the air intake area of the scoop. This made a HUGE difference, at least a 30-40 deg temp drop on pre turbo EGT's.
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (109.53 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
So piping is easy for a top mount, but there are extra expenses.

I hope this helps

As for the splines... not sure bud
Regards
Cedric
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

hey hey hey.... whats happening????? :think: :think: :think:
Regards
Cedric
Andre Steyn

Post by Andre Steyn »

Hello sorry for being away so long, bit hectic on my side running around between hospital and the farm and getting my trol sorted. But so far the motor is back together but I haven't put it back in the trol yet I'm waiting for the custom manifold! But I've added a Donaldson cyclone filter, massive thing and have decided to go with a huge bonnet inter cooler. Oh and a 3inch exhaust with No silencers or boxes and its going to be kept as short as possible. I'm also doing a few mods to the cooling system the water level bottle gets changed to the same as my td42ti as well as some of the pipe work. As for the madman system it'll unfortunately have to wait to next year as an early birthday present. The sensor kit Plus the display costs about R 3200 without installation. Which is a great price, but they've closed for December and I'm running over my budget already. So I'll for now just invest in a good boost and egt gauge! I'm still struggling to get a set of free wheel hubs as commercial spares just don't send a quote through! And this after a few calls! Any one else know where new ones can be bought cheap? Oh Yes before I forget my trol should be up running and sorted completely by Thursday next week!

Return to “09. Engines”