OzzyOsner
Full Name: Nicholas Osner
Nickname: OzzyOsner
Home Town: Boksburg
Current 4x4: None
Home Language: English

Am I being crazy? Some advice needed.

Post by OzzyOsner »

So I recently had a chat with a friend of mine, and mentioned I was in the process of looking at possibly getting a Patrol. It turned out that he actually has an old patrol sitting under a tree on his farm (in Gauteng thankfully) that belongs to his uncle that’s been there for around 3 years or so. By the sounds of it, he left it there when he moved to the Cape, is looking at getting rid of it, and I was wanting to see what a reasonable price would be for such a vehicle.

So it’s a pre-facelift manual 4.5GL GU series Patrol, but unfortunately that’s as far as my friend’s knowledge goes. As far as he is aware it was well looked after before it was put out to pasture, but at this stage it has definitely seen better days. I do realise that this is a bit of a meaningless question – the value is dependent on the condition of the car and what issues it has – but I would like to work out a vague value to determine whether its worth the time and effort to fix it up before moving forward. Unfortunately, there aren’t a hell of a lot of them floating around to get a good idea on their pricing.

I will hopefully get some more information, and take a detailed look at it soon, but for now I guess the main two questions are:

What is the market value of one of these in good condition? To work back from based on what needs to be done – let’s say a stock ‘99 model with 250k km on the clock.

What issues do I need to look out for, especially in a vehicle that has been sitting outdoors for 3 years?

Bonus question: Am I being crazy even considering this?
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Am I being crazy? Some advice needed.

Post by Peter Connan »

I'm guessing a 4.5 in fair to good condition is probably worth around R120k-R140k now, but Tinus will be able to give you a much better idea.

Give him a call on zero83 297 8zero13

What to tlook for: rust (gutters and above the windscreen), condition of all the rubbers ezpecially the coolant hoses and tires, condition of the fluids that you can reach, and then just check everything works, including the diff lock, and also the viscous clutch and the fan blade itself.

Crazy? No, I don't think so. Could possibly be onto a bargain, especially if you can argue the price down to where you can wrap it...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Spike
Full Name: Spike Pretorius
Nickname: Spike
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: 4.8 GRX 2008 (platkar/daily driver)
Many others, here and abroad.....it's my job
Home Language: Sleg soutpiel

Post by Spike »

I'm not up to speed on market values etc but have my own gut sense of what a car's value would be to me personally. When I buy I factor in all the stuff that will be a buggered. Standing under a tree for three years will take it's toll and you don't want to buy somebody else's rubbish. I must drive away cautiously optimistic that I got a good bargain. If I was buying with my own money the absolute top end for an early model 4.5 would be R100k if it was in mint condition. I've seen reasonable ones go for the R80k range. I'd only consider looking at the garden decoration if it was REALLY cheap, like R40k-R50k. Allow for tyres, shocks, brakes, oil seals, major service etc etc and you're heading back up to R100k excluding any unforeseen possibilities
As a reference I paid under R130k for my 2008 4.8 that involved a little bit of a gamble.
:oldtimer:
Sardonic Fattist

Ikigai. Do what you love. Love what you do.
Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of minds to think
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Spike sold 7 patrols this month believe me they are more now
OzzyOsner
Full Name: Nicholas Osner
Nickname: OzzyOsner
Home Town: Boksburg
Current 4x4: None

Post by OzzyOsner »

Wow, R130k for a 2008 4.8 sounds seriously good. Haven't seen any go for anything near that since I started looking.

It does sound like this might not be a bad option then if I can agree on the right price with the owner - which seems possible at this stage. Definitely going to need to take a serious look at the vehicle and see what all is still functional first though. Would love to argue the price to the point that a wrap is feasible as I don't think a couple years outdoors is good for the paint work. What does it cost to wrap a vehicle of that size these days? I'm sure it's closing in on R20k unfortunately.

One of the biggest issues I am concerned about is the registration/licensing situation. It could end up being quite costly, and a huge pain in the ass to sort out. So I am hoping that the owner has kept everything up to date, but I don't think that's likely since the car was just about abandoned by the looks of it.

Thanks, I'll give Tinus a call to discuss market values. And maybe find out what else is on the market at the moment.
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D

Post by graham1 »

OzzyOsner wrote: 05 Feb 2021 13:36 Wow, R130k for a 2008 4.8 sounds seriously good. Haven't seen any go for anything near that since I started looking.
And you wont find one unfortunately. Its weird, the 4.8 prices were absolutely plummeting about two or so years ago, and now all of a sudden all Patrol prices are just sky rocketing!

It will be interesting to see more details on this abandoned one. I'd imagine R60k though :mytwocents:
Reenen
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Reenen Kritzinger
Nickname: Reenen
Home Town: Greyton
Current 4x4: SFA Hardbody
4.8 GRX
V9X Navara
Safari Stasiewa
Safari Pickup
Safari stasiewa
88 Isuzu RD28 Nissan
1978 300D Merc RD28 Nissan

Post by Reenen »

OzzyOsner wrote:Wow, R130k for a 2008 4.8 sounds seriously good. Haven't seen any go for anything near that since I started looking.

It does sound like this might not be a bad option then if I can agree on the right price with the owner - which seems possible at this stage. Definitely going to need to take a serious look at the vehicle and see what all is still functional first though. Would love to argue the price to the point that a wrap is feasible as I don't think a couple years outdoors is good for the paint work. What does it cost to wrap a vehicle of that size these days? I'm sure it's closing in on R20k unfortunately.

One of the biggest issues I am concerned about is the registration/licensing situation. It could end up being quite costly, and a huge pain in the ass to sort out. So I am hoping that the owner has kept everything up to date, but I don't think that's likely since the car was just about abandoned by the looks of it.

Thanks, I'll give Tinus a call to discuss market values. And maybe find out what else is on the market at the moment.
As hy enige ander voertuie besit op sy naam, sal die lisensies up to date wees. Jy kan geen lisensies uit neem, tensy almal op datum is

Return to “01. Start Here”