Digger
Full Name: Graeme Bath
Nickname: G
Home Town: Delmas
Current 4x4: 1998 Patrol 4.5 GL
Home Language: English

The Prepper Wagon

Post by Digger »

Hey Guys , well collected the Patrol, it's home after a quick 1000Km trip. Must say she went very well, left EL yesterday afternoon, the first part of the trip she ran 5.6 up to Bloem lots of trucks and always caught them on the wrong side of a hill, shuffled between 3rd and 4th most of the way and don't think that the approximately 45 deg headwind from the right at one point and the 4 man RT tent helped too much, slept in Bloem.

Left Bloem at 6 this morning and it was clear sailing all the way home to MP, gave me 6.2.

Love it, really ran well and was a pleasure to drive , very happy with what I got, paint screams of the 22 years that it is but will fix that with time, there are a couple of other things that I will do and change but what's the rush, inside she is really good for her age, a big plus. Mechanically she is solid just have passenger side front binding when heavy braking in town on the open road nothing. I have a few decisions to make as well.
So not to bore you guys any further I think I will take her for a spin round the mealie fields and see if she can really ride in the dirt\mud.

Tinus and Piet thanks for the chat beforehand.

G
Last edited by Digger on 29 Nov 2020 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: The Prepper Wagon is home

Post by Peter Connan »

Pleasure and glad you had a safe trip.

The more you drive it off-road, the happier you will be.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

Great news Graeme!

Now to change your current 4x4 profile status & post some pics for us!!!

:bravo:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

I am assuming you snapped up that blue well kitted 4.5?

Looked like great vehicle...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

:salute: happy you are happy bud
Digger

Post by Digger »

hugejp wrote: 21 Nov 2020 20:02 I am assuming you snapped up that blue well kitted 4.5?

Looked like great vehicle...

That I did and am extremely happy, my little project.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Well gents , went for a quick spin this morning , then have spent the rest of the day , in out under behind. , in front etc,

And have made the following decisions on what I want to do and on no specific order.

1. Brake binding has to be sorted as a matter of urgency, next Saturday after doing Wifie things , hope nothing serious but if I have to replace seals then so be it. ( when you have owned so many land rovers you quickly learn to fix stuff ) what is the best place place for spares , pads and caliper service kits , will try Midas are there any others ,

2. Need to get battery box and figure out the wiring , it’s all there just need to see where it’s all going,

3. 4 man rooftop must be sold or swapped for a 2 man RT tent , need to open space on the roof rack

4 , need to add an additional fuel tank , heaps of space under the driver side passenger seat, want to take it to 200 plus liters ,
( question , what is usually fitted under the drivers side seat I assume it’s one of the fuel tanks ), Just want range , some long distance travels in the future ,

5. Rebuild the Drawer system to suit my need and fridge, have a plan for lidded alu. Draws ,

6. 2 nd spare wheel must go top side , for ease of opening of the rear doors .

7 , Need to get an aerial, for the 2 way , all is there just the whip itself is gone ,

8 . Add an additional set of spots ,

9 , make new jerrycan and gas bottle holders for top side ,

Ok for now that is where I would like to go,

Guys you are all welcome to add your comment or ideas ,

My goal is to have things in such a way , that should I want to go anywhere , it must take no longer than 30 min to get onto the road , basically load food and clothes , then hit the road . I am impulsive and the best trips are those that come to mind while driving home from work on a Friday at 16H30 and you call ahead with the comment “ Babes load up same food and clothes we hitting the road at 17H30” ,this normally followed by WTF. , Ok ,

Apologies if I am about to bore you all to death but I do all my own work , and will post some here ,

Cheers G
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Greame, it's probably the brake calipers binding on the pins. It can usually be sorted with some water paper and elbow grease, but it can be a bastard to dismantle if they are stuck.

There are four guys (all members of this forum) whom you need to be aware of:

Dawid Volschenk operates a Patrol-only scrap yard just outside of Warmbad. Also sells some new parts. Zero83 4double9 15double8
Marinus is the South African agent for Terrain Tamer. He is based in the Cape but ships promptly all over the country. Zero82 94zero 5235
Michael Steyn owns Sojo Automotive. He primarily specializes in building tuning the TD42 engine (the 4.2 diesel for the Patrol) but also does general mechanical work. Zero82 567 715six
Graham Cummings owns G-Tech Motors, who specialize in maintaining Patrols and other vehicles. His speciality is the electronics and especially anything related to the ECU. Zero83 41double75zero3

Under the driver's seat the fancier models (GRX-badged) would have had a 30-35l sub-tank. You may be able to get all the hardware from Dawid. One can fabricate a tank of around 60l to fit there without going too crazy on the shape and without hanging down below the chassis rails. To get more than that gets expensive.

To get to 200L, you have to replace the main tank as well. One can fit around 140L there. The problem is that the options are few. Northern Off-road make a 140l replacement tank, but it's made from stainless and many people have had issues with them cracking. It is possible that they have refined the design to the point where it's reliable, I just don't know.

The other option is to import Brown and Davis tanks from Aus. Kirbster down in the Cape has done so and there is a very detailed thread on here about it, but this option is scarily expensive. The last option is to get something custom made. I can supply you with basic outline dimensions of the tanks fitted to my car (which are roughly 200l) but they are not full designs and don't include things like the fitment of the various hose points, gauge lids and so forth.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Oetie
Full Name: Leon Fouche
Nickname: Oetie
Home Town: Rooihuiskraal, Centurion
Current 4x4: 2009 TD42T Patrol

Post by Oetie »

Peter Connan wrote: 23 Nov 2020 05:52 There are four guys (all members of this forum) whom you need to be aware of:

Dawid Volschenk operates a Patrol-only scrap yard just outside of Warmbad. Also sells some new parts. Zero83 4double9 15double8
Marinus is the South African agent for Terrain Tamer. He is based in the Cape but ships promptly all over the country. Zero82 94zero 5235
Michael Steyn owns Sojo Automotive. He primarily specializes in building tuning the TD42 engine (the 4.2 diesel for the Patrol) but also does general mechanical work. Zero82 567 715six
Graham Cummings owns G-Tech Motors, who specialize in maintaining Patrols and other vehicles. His speciality is the electronics and especially anything related to the ECU. Zero83 41double75zero3
I would Add Anthony Forgey of Ant's Custom Workshop Oh seven 9 four 99 seven six 9 two to the list
One life, live it to the fullest!!
ORRA - L65
HAM - ZS6LEF

Tlou - 2009 Patrol TD42T
Digger

Post by Digger »

Awesome, Thanks a lot Guys , appreciated will keep these numbers.

@ Peter, I think i need to snoop around under your chassis and have a look see , ( I see you are in Kempton ), the current tank fitter to mine is an Alu tank , allegedly 110 or 120 liters, I dont know, will have to calculate or measure .

Cheers G

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”