Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Ant's Custom Workshop

Post by Tinus lotz »

He is a machine bit half the guy he used to be ...now that he is losing all that weight
Anthony Forgey
Full Name: Anthony Forgey
Nickname: Anthony
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: 98 4.2D (turbo'd)
Home Language: English

Post by Anthony Forgey »

This beautiful. largely unmolested Nissan Patrol GQ short wheel base with its original silver top TD 42 motor with 503000 km on the clock came to the workshop for a custom storage and dual battery system. The result is a unique tiny but big build.

Intelligence is measured in smarts, stature is measured in hearts
bogeyman
Full Name: Christo Boegman
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
'95 patrol 4.2 (now 4.5) sgx plus four 4.2 diesel p/u plus 3 safari workhorses.

Post by bogeyman »

Just a thank you to Anthony.
Yesterday he installed a double din radio into my 4.8.

I am fairly particular about workmanship and come from old school auto electrical background.

The attention to detail and obsession to have everything as original and perfect is insane.
Obviously everything just works better than it should and there is nothing that could have been done better.

I feel he can charge three times more for his time.

Thank you.
Anthony Forgey
Full Name: Anthony Forgey
Nickname: Anthony
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: 98 4.2D (turbo'd)

Post by Anthony Forgey »

Thank you for your support Christo. I'm glad you are happy with the work.
Intelligence is measured in smarts, stature is measured in hearts
Oetie
Full Name: Leon Fouche
Nickname: Oetie
Home Town: Rooihuiskraal, Centurion
Current 4x4: 2009 TD42T Patrol

Post by Oetie »

So my Patrol went to visit Anthony for some TLC and attention..

One of the first things that I had fitted to the Patrol when I bought it was a MADMAN meter. At that stage it measured voltage, EGT and coolant level and temp. SInce I had the turbo fitted earlier this year I wanted to add turbo boost and engine oil temp as well but never got to it. Recently my fuel gauge played up and it nearly left me stranded, how I did not is a mystery as I have put in 122lt of diesel in both tanks once the problem was identifed...

With an upcoming trip I had to have the fuel gauge sorted out, hence the call to Anthony and as usual, as things go, the list of what needed to be done got added onto.... In the end Anthony attended to:
  • Fuel gauge issue
  • Added turbo boost and engine oil temp to the MADMAN
  • Connected the LED fog lights on the BZT bulbar to the dim setting to be used as daylight run lights
  • Connected the indicator lights on the BZT bulbar
  • Fitted spots that will not interfere with airflow to work with brights and have a dash switch from which I could switch them off
  • Fitted Focal speakers to all four doors and custom fit tweeters to the front doors
  • Reverse cam
Thank you Anthony for the excellent and professional work done. It is much appreciated.

Next, the sub-woofer we spoke about...
One life, live it to the fullest!!
ORRA - L65
HAM - ZS6LEF

Tlou - 2009 Patrol TD42T
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D

Post by graham1 »

Oetie wrote: 19 Oct 2020 08:40 So my Patrol went to visit Anthony for some TLC and attention..

One of the first things that I had fitted to the Patrol when I bought it was a MADMAN meter. At that stage it measured voltage, EGT and coolant level and temp. SInce I had the turbo fitted earlier this year I wanted to add turbo boost and engine oil temp as well but never got to it. Recently my fuel gauge played up and it nearly left me stranded, how I did not is a mystery as I have put in 122lt of diesel in both tanks once the problem was identifed...

With an upcoming trip I had to have the fuel gauge sorted out, hence the call to Anthony and as usual, as things go, the list of what needed to be done got added onto.... In the end Anthony attended to:
  • Fuel gauge issue
  • Connected the LED fog lights on the BZT bulbar to the dim setting to be used as daylight run lights
  • Fitted spots that will not interfere with airflow to work with brights and have a dash switch from which I could switch them off
  • Fitted Focal speakers to all four doors and custom fit tweeters to the front doors
  • Reverse cam
Thank you Anthony for the excellent and professional work done. It is much appreciated.

Very nice! On using the fogs as daytime lights, do you have a buzzer to let you know the lights are on when you get out the vehicle? I know mine dont. Maybe I good idea to install one if you intend using them during the day, the chances of forgetting/not noticing theyre left on in the day are high I think.
Steele
Full Name: Gareth Steele
Nickname: Steel
Home Town: Jhb
Current 4x4: Patrol 3.0 CRD 2014

Post by Steele »

Oetie wrote: 19 Oct 2020 08:40 So my Patrol went to visit Anthony for some TLC and attention..

• Fuel gauge issue
  • Reverse cam

Very cool, I need to upgrade my speakers as well now that Ant has done the head unit. What spots did you fit?
Cheers, Gareth
I think, therefore I am........ I think?!?!?!
Oetie

Post by Oetie »

graham1 wrote: 19 Oct 2020 10:27
Very nice! On using the fogs as daytime lights, do you have a buzzer to let you know the lights are on when you get out the vehicle? I know mine dont. Maybe I good idea to install one if you intend using them during the day, the chances of forgetting/not noticing theyre left on in the day are high I think.
My car has a buzzer that goes on when the lights are on and ingnition removed.
ORRA - L65
HAM - ZS6LEF

Tlou - 2009 Patrol TD42T
Oetie

Post by Oetie »

Steele wrote:
Very cool, I need to upgrade my speakers as well now that Ant has done the head unit. What spots did you fit?
Anthony will have to assist with the names of the spots but here is a photo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ORRA - L65
HAM - ZS6LEF

Tlou - 2009 Patrol TD42T
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Oetie said: "Connected the LED fog lights on the BZT bulbar to the dim setting to be used as daylight run lights"

That is not actually correct or legal. it means you could have you headlights and DRLs on simultaneously, which could lead to blinding oncoming traffic, especially at about dusk...

The are some legal technicalities regarding DRLs
1. Must turn on with your ignition (connected to the ignition switch)
2. Must turn off when ANY lights (park, dim or bright) are turned on
3. Must not turn on any rear lights when DRLs are in operation
4. All the above must happen without operating any manual switches.

So how is that done, you may ask. Well, the answer is in the fitment of two additional relays (the easier option in my mind) that is how I did it on my Patrol
They turn on when the ignition is turned on, and turn off when I turn on ANY lights on (via the lights stalk/switch)

Here are the instructions:

First way (two relays)

4pin relay;
30- +12v to fuse box (or battery)
85- ground (earth) to fuse box or nearby good earth
86- +12v spliced to DRL lights' wiring (the DRLs must of course be earthed themselves)
87- +12v to pin 30 on 5 pin relay

5pin relay;
30- +12v from pin 87 of 4 pin relay
85- ground (earth)
86- to parking light bulb connector positive side.
87a- to aux lights (spots or fog lamps if power to these are independently supplied through their own positive supply - (which is also illegal)) or empty
87- empty

Alternative way

A SPDT relay will do the job.

85- Low beam DRL (+v) positive
86- GND
30- IGN (+v) positive
87a- DRL (+v) positive
87- no connection

When IGN ON, 30 and 87a are connected(normally closed), so DRL gets power with IGN ON.

When park lights are ON, the relay switches pole to 87, which isn't connected to anything. That then gives no power to the DRLs

For IGN DRL (+v) positive, there is couple fuses you can steal IGN 1 (+v) positive signal from in the main fuse box fuse; something like for ABS

If your DRL system draws very small current( assuming LED DRL, small current draw) and you steal power from these fuse locations, do sure to have inline fuse to DRL lights (+v) positive input with minimum a rating fuse for system. (5A or less if it's like 10W DRL lights)

Or you can get just signal (+v) positive from those wires bypassing with extra relay as your LED DRL main relay. (Relay with diode protect type recommended.)

You can also get IGN 2 line by tapping into something like A/C line that is P/B wire at AB pin of main fuse connector( C-02 connector) lt; 10A fused; etc..

For headlight low, it's well visible at low beam connector location. Two wires going into headlight low beam socket is low beam wires, black for GND, O/G for (+v) positive (driver side) & (passenger side) ; for halogen model.

Return to “35. About your Business”