First Impressions 4.8 with turbo

Engines and Engine Systems
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe
Home Language: English

Re: First Impressions 4.8 with turbo

Post by IanT »

Ok feed back on the lock out on the gearbox uphill. Traffic was bad so hit the hill at 110km/h lowered my right foot (not floored) and accelerated to 130 before I had to slow down for cars ahead, gearbox did not kick down
XenoBlitz
Full Name: Wilhelm van Rooyen
Nickname: Wilhelm
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: The 4.5 Turbo
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by XenoBlitz »

Rudolph wrote: 05 Aug 2020 10:24 This is impressive, would love to see some pictures of the GQ setup, so the internals of the 4.2&4.8 petrol is up to the task for a turbo but not the 4.5 petrol if I understand correctly?
Yes the 4.5 needs a lot more work to be done safely. (Also see my signature below.) :biggrin:
May the road be long.. and dirty.
The 4.5 Turbo
Mystical_Beast
Full Name: Julian Hilder
Nickname: none
Home Town: Edenvale
Current 4x4: 2018 Patrol 4.8 Vortex SuperCharged
2007 RRS 4.4 V8
2004 Colt Rodeo 3000
SIII Landy pick-up

Post by Mystical_Beast »

IanT wrote: 05 Aug 2020 14:41 Ok feed back on the lock out on the gearbox uphill. Traffic was bad so hit the hill at 110km/h lowered my right foot (not floored) and accelerated to 130 before I had to slow down for cars ahead, gearbox did not kick down
Hi Ian

Maybe a slight misunderstanding..
I was referring to the lock-up of the torque convertor.

When unlocked the rpm increase about 500 rpm in 5th gear as the gearbox effectively slips until conditions allow for the torque converter to lock up again.
It can be imperceptible if you don't physically watch for it on the rev counter.
Normally you would pick it up through a slight change of engine tone.

It was brought to my attention by Clem in a post to do with fuel consumption if I correctly recall.

The bottom line is it is a PITA.
I'm wondering if the gear-box module/ecu, if it even has such a thing, can be programmed...
It is a very valid question though as if the gearbox slips continually without one being aware of it, it may compromise the integrity and usefulness of the conversion.
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

Know exacly what you are taking about, but no did not do that just pulls using the torque at 110 I am sitting at about 2200 rpm so that is just about peak torque on the motor, sure it would be different if I was towing or put my foot down hard
jonathan
Full Name: Jonathan Venter
Nickname: jonathan
Home Town: Jacobsbaai
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX

Post by jonathan »

Mystical_Beast wrote: 05 Aug 2020 15:37
IanT wrote: 05 Aug 2020 14:41 Ok feed back on the lock out on the gearbox uphill. Traffic was bad so hit the hill at 110km/h lowered my right foot (not floored) and accelerated to 130 before I had to slow down for cars ahead, gearbox did not kick down
Hi Ian

Maybe a slight misunderstanding..
I was referring to the lock-up of the torque convertor.

When unlocked the rpm increase about 500 rpm in 5th gear as the gearbox effectively slips until conditions allow for the torque converter to lock up again.
It can be imperceptible if you don't physically watch for it on the rev counter.
Normally you would pick it up through a slight change of engine tone.

It was brought to my attention by Clem in a post to do with fuel consumption if I correctly recall.

The bottom line is it is a PITA.
I'm wondering if the gear-box module/ecu, if it even has such a thing, can be programmed...
It is a very valid question though as if the gearbox slips continually without one being aware of it, it may compromise the integrity and usefulness of the conversion.
There is a post somewhere on the forum from the Oz forum with detailed instructions how to build a relay system that keeps the torque converter locked with a toggle switch if I remember correctly. Or you could go for one of these, https://www.hgmelectronics.com, but it's rather pricey...
PaulMS
Full Name: Paul Mains-Sheard
Nickname: Midas
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2006 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by PaulMS »

Good day Guys,
This is my first post.
I'm not a performance freak or a petrol head but I do love Nissan Patrols. My current one is the 3rd that I've owned since 1997
I currently have a 2006 4.8GRX with 206,000kms on it and I have done about 180,000 of those.
The engine is stock standard, so is pretty sluggish and heavy on juice but super reliable.
I am (aren't we all?) looking for better performance and lighter fuel costs and want to know from your collective experience if an exhaust, air filter and chip will do the trick or do I need to go turbo/supercharger route which I'm not keen to do.
All advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Paul.
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

Hey Paul,

I have a turbo 4.8

If driven nicely you will get better fuel consumption, especially if you build a low boost setup & tune it for bottom end torque.

The issue will come in with your own right foot, it is just so nice to let a few horses out the gate every so often!

Out of all the options you mention, a turbo conversion makes the most cost effective solution IMHO.

I have yet to find a member with beter economy after a chip, airfilter & braches. My own 4.8 pre turbo had a BMC filter fitted & it negatively affected my consumption.

The supercharger route is IMHO too expensive for the gains it offers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

my :mytwocents: chip and air filter you are wasting your time and money. Exhorst you will see a couple of kw and a better sound but nothing to write home about. I have no experience on super chargers other than the Aus guys go for the turbo charger, turboing a patrol is not cheap and you are not going to save on fuel costs, but it does give you much more power and nm. So I would say the decision is yours to make! Spend R85K and have a lot more power and driveably (you should get the cost of the turbo back when you sell your patrol) or just live with it as is, they are fantastic without a turbo anyway :thumbup:
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

PS you are welcome to come and take mine (and I am sure JP's) as for a spin and see what the difference is like (major!!) and I am running a low boost
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

take it to thys pay him and thank us later :lol:

Return to “09. Engines”