1997 Cruiser HZJ 75........."JACK"
2008 Merc CL 500............."BULLET"
2006 C 180 K Manual........."SUSSIE"
En Mamma se Kar, 'n Ford
Home Language: afrikaans

98 GL Suspension Questions

Post by petri oosthuizen »

Hi Guys......…

1) My 98 GL Patrol has a verrrry slight lean towards the Passenger Side. I may be wrong but I don't think so.

...…...What to do, check coils??

2) I'd like to also lift the car VERY slightly, say 10 or 20mm at the most, tow allow for a slightly higher profile tyre.

........First check is the coils have sagged I guess?? If they're still good, can one fit spacers??

Car's suspension is stock standard at the moment, with new shocks fitted.

I'd also like to just go through ALL bushes etc etc, while I'm busy, and replace where necessary.

I want a well sorted suspension here, but as standard as possible, and with the minimum adjustments/kits/etc etc as possible

THANKS
"Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' corner, and knowing he wants to go home early tonight"..........Max Baer
Oetie
Full Name: Leon Fouche
Nickname: Oetie
Home Town: Rooihuiskraal, Centurion
Current 4x4: 2009 TD42T Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 98 GL Suspension Questions

Post by Oetie »

Petri, I will suggest you get the Bilstein guy's number from Tinus and have a chat with them.

I only went with the Bilstein shicks/OME coils setup as I got the coils for free. In my former Pathfinder (now my sons) I have a full OME setup and am impressed with the setup and ride quality.

Bilstein shocks are serviceable and affordable.

The guys here run a wide variety of suspensions, in the end I would say it is what one is prepared to pay.
One life, live it to the fullest!!
ORRA - L65
HAM - ZS6LEF

Tlou - 2009 Patrol TD42T
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Petri, the standard coils are slightly longer on the driver's side. This is to make up for the weight of the driver, and also the weight of the sub-tank (if fitted, it was not standard on the GL).

Usually when they sag, they sag towards the driver's side.

Before you start spending cash, just check if the car still leans if somebody is sitting in the driver's seat?

As for a 10mm lift, it should be pretty easy to do with spacers. I wouldn't buy coils for that much lift.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
petri oosthuizen
Full Name: oosthuizen
Nickname: petri
Home Town: bethlehem, eastern fs
Current 4x4: 1998 Patrol 4500 GRX......."OLIVE"
En Mamma se Kar, 'n Ford

Peter Connan wrote: 03 Feb 2020 17:00 Petri, the standard coils are slightly longer on the driver's side. This is to make up for the weight of the driver, and also the weight of the sub-tank (if fitted, it was not standard on the GL).

Usually when they sag, they sag towards the driver's side.

Before you start spending cash, just check if the car still leans if somebody is sitting in the driver's seat?

As for a 10mm lift, it should be pretty easy to do with spacers. I wouldn't buy coils for that much lift.
Thanks Peter...….good advise. Ja wat, I'm not really REALLY keen on aftermarket suspensions, if I do decide to go that way it really must be with no mods etc etc.
"Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' corner, and knowing he wants to go home early tonight"..........Max Baer
martyn
Full Name: Charles Fry
Nickname: Charlie
Home Town: Robertson
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.5
Home Language: English

Post by martyn »

Spacers are available at most 4x4 centers. I got a set from 4x4 megaworld in Jacaranda road Centurion.
Diem Dulcem Habes
Have a good day
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Petri, na aanleiding van die kommentaar op die draad se suster op 4x4 community:

Die rede hoekom ons Bilstein voorstel is omdat hulle eerstens goed werk, en tweedens omdat die produk gediens en/of reggemaak kan word, teen 'n prys wat goed vergelyk met die kompetisie se weeggooi-goeters. Daarom is dit baie goeie waarde vir geld.

En die rede hoekom ons nie vir jou ander springs voorgestel het nie, is omdat niemand 'n 10mm lift maak nie. En die klein bietjie ervaring wat ek met hulle het, is dat die klein ouens wat custom springs goedkoop maak, nie genoeg beheer oor hulle hittebehandelings-prosesse het om sulke akkurate vere te maak nie.

Wat jy wel aan kan dink is om net nuwer Nissan vere in te sit. Sekerlik na amper 20 jaar moes daais al bietjie gesak het. Kry 'n 4.8 se vere van iemand wat aftermarket insit?

Maar ek glo steeds jy gaan verbaas wees hoeveel hy sak as daar net iemand in die kar klim. Die rede hoekom die goed so gemaklik is op slegte pad, is juis omdat die vere relatief sag is.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
petri oosthuizen
Full Name: oosthuizen
Nickname: petri
Home Town: bethlehem, eastern fs
Current 4x4: 1998 Patrol 4500 GRX......."OLIVE"
En Mamma se Kar, 'n Ford

Thanks Peter - great advise. The 4800 coils etc etc will all fit??

And yes, on Wednesday evening I had a rugby braai thing at the school, loaded about 8 (or more) kids in the Trol to give them a lift to the koshuis……...it is quite softly "ge veer", but I like it a LOT. This Baba feels like its on rails on a gravel road.

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”