Current 4x4: 1998 Patrol 4500 GRX......."OLIVE"
1997 Cruiser HZJ 75........."JACK"
2008 Merc CL 500............."BULLET"
2006 C 180 K Manual........."SUSSIE"
En Mamma se Kar, 'n Ford
Home Language: afrikaans

Re: My 1998 GU 4500 GL..........

Post by petri oosthuizen »

Guys, if I engage 4H or 4L with just those auto hubs (meaning I havent locked them with a spanner).......it makes a feint "click click" sound when I move forward at idle.

Is that normal??

BTW - just HATE those damn auto hubs akkas, I started hating them since the Cruisers came out with them.

Then, can I lock the hubs and drive it like that (in 2H) for a couple days, will it be "good" to do, maybe just get some parts moving??

I have a suspicion this car has only been in 4L for the 1st time today..........die arme ding moes hom DOOD geskrik het

THANKS, have a GREAT weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' corner, and knowing he wants to go home early tonight"..........Max Baer
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Alex Roux »

Hi Petri

Not sure how the cruisers work, but with the Patrol's auto locking hubs, you must NOT drive in 4H or 4L on tarmac - as it will wind up the drive train.
That just the nature of the part time 4x4 system. It is not made for tarmac. There is no central diff lock as with cruisers, so the whole system is locked when engaging 4x4 with the auto locking hubs.

You can of course convert to manual locking hubs (you can get them for the GU), then that problem is sorted and you can drive in 4x4 on tar, everything turns together (including the front side shafts etc), except of course the front wheels that will still run free until manually locked.

You can drive in 2H with the hubs manually locked. More friction, wear, heavier on fuel, and steering wheel may feel a bit stiffer.

When relying on the auto locking hubs it typically makes a clicking sound when changing from going forward to backward and vice versa, but just once as the wheels start turning.
In your case since it had not been used, perhaps re-greasing the hubs may be on the cards...
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by iandvl »

Petri, it was in 4H and 4L when I tested it the other day.

Hubs on auto will click when the vehicle is in 4wd and moves in the opposite direction it was travelling in, or if it was stationary when 4wd was engaged.

Ie: if you stop, and put the vehicle in 4wd, and drive forward, it will click. If you stop then and reverse, it will click.

If shifting back to 2wd, remember to drive the vehicle 3 or 4 metres in the opposite direction to unlock the hubs again.

You can lock the hubs and drive in 4x2 - i n fact, that is what I normally do when I am travelling considerable distances where I will be doing alternating gravel and tar roads - as you can then shift between 2H and 4H up until 40mph (~60km/h) without damaging splines.

You must be 100% stationary to shift to 4L.

I also lock the hubs manually when doing crazy nonsense.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
petri oosthuizen
Full Name: oosthuizen
Nickname: petri
Home Town: bethlehem, eastern fs
En Mamma se Kar, 'n Ford

Alex Roux wrote: 16 Nov 2019 11:39 Hi Petri

Not sure how the cruisers work, but with the Patrol's auto locking hubs, you must NOT drive in 4H or 4L on tarmac - as it will wind up the drive train.
That just the nature of the part time 4x4 system. It is not made for tarmac. There is no central diff lock as with cruisers, so the whole system is locked when engaging 4x4 with the auto locking hubs.

You can of course convert to manual locking hubs (you can get them for the GU), then that problem is sorted and you can drive in 4x4 on tar, everything turns together (including the front side shafts etc), except of course the front wheels that will still run free until manually locked.

You can drive in 2H with the hubs manually locked. More friction, wear, heavier on fuel, and steering wheel may feel a bit stiffer.

When relying on the auto locking hubs it typically makes a clicking sound when changing from going forward to backward and vice versa, but just once as the wheels start turning.
In your case since it had not been used, perhaps re-greasing the hubs may be on the cards...
Thanks Alex, yes I meant just locking the hubs, keep driving in 2X4.

I locked them they do feel "stiff" and "dry", but got better after a few clock and anti clock turns. But thanks, will have them greased. I'll sommer just keep them locked over the weekend, sommer net, maybe something gets "loosened" a bit more.

Just HATE those hubs, my biggest gripe is locking them with that spanner which can be in the way sometimes (in mud/water/against a rock etc etc), and it does not "lock", it turns "indefinitely"........in the dark you dont know where's what.

Or the damn spanner is packed away.....I bought a "dedicated" spanner at Midas and shortened the handle when I had the LCruiser. Worked (sort of) nicely.

Old ones MUCH better/nicer/easier, you knew its clockwise and its locked.

Thanks Ian, just read while you're typing. Ja hulle moet daai ou wat daai goed uitgedink het aan sy knaters ophang :rolleyes:
"Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' corner, and knowing he wants to go home early tonight"..........Max Baer
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Petri, I make a little spanner for locking the hubs. Fits easily in a door pocket or cubby hole and has a 13mm spanner on the other end (for a battery clamp).

Here is a thread: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=7464&p=92385&hilit ... ner#p92385

The manual actually stat3s that you should drive witht the hubs locked periodically to keep the axle properly lubed.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Spike
Full Name: Spike Pretorius
Nickname: Spike
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: 4.8 GRX 2008 (platkar/daily driver)
Many others, here and abroad.....it's my job
Home Language: Sleg soutpiel

Post by Spike »

Petri if the auto lockers give you hassles you can convert them to freewheel hubs. There's plenty info (with photos) on the Aussie forums if you google it. I've done it. It's just a simple job of loosening the six bolts, removing the hub, removing the auto component of the hub, popping it back on and tightening back up. Converts the hub from auto/locked to freewheel/locked. A very simple ten minute job.
:oldtimer:
Sardonic Fattist

Ikigai. Do what you love. Love what you do.
Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of minds to think
Oetie
Full Name: Leon Fouche
Nickname: Oetie
Home Town: Rooihuiskraal, Centurion
Current 4x4: 2009 TD42T Patrol

Post by Oetie »

Petri, first of all, welcome to the Patrol forum where all your questions about your new Patrol will be answered with a smile.

Secondly, congratulations with the purchase of the Patrol. I followed your thread on 4x4 Community and when I saw Ian getting involved, I knew you would be looked after in a way much better than your expectation.

And lastly, do not be concerned about posting photo's, us Patrol NEVER get tired of ANY Patrol or Patrol related photo being posted :thumbup:
One life, live it to the fullest!!
ORRA - L65
HAM - ZS6LEF

Tlou - 2009 Patrol TD42T
petri oosthuizen
Full Name: oosthuizen
Nickname: petri
Home Town: bethlehem, eastern fs
En Mamma se Kar, 'n Ford

Thanks Oetie - appreciated!!
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Geluk Petri, ek hoop net jy hou hom langer as jou vorige Patrol!!

Ek het die selfde as Spike gedoen en nou is my PATOL se locking hubs manual. My autolockers het nie gesond geklink as hulle in Auto was nie. Moes hulle altyd gesluit hou om hulle stil te hou.

Ek het twee Targa radios in my Patrol en Pathfinder. Hulle kom met reverse camera en met of sonder GPS, werk soos 'n bom, in 4 jaar geen probleme gehad nie. Sal vir jou 'n link hier opsit waat ek myne gekoop het.

Beste van alles is die prys....
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Ek sien jou gat jeuk behoorlik vir hierdie Patrol, jy het op al die sites seker 5 threads op hom oop!!

Oor die radios:

Hierdie is die goedkoper een, sonder GPS: https://www.autostyle.co.za/product/tar ... vd-system/

en hierdie een met GPS: https://www.autostyle.co.za/product/tar ... avigation/

Die Pathfinder kom standaard uit met 'n Bose amp en 9 Bose speakers, en die Targa het die fasiliteit om jou speakers te verstel, voor, agter, middel, klink soos in 'n kerk, meer na jazz, meer na konsertsaal, meer na POP, meer na klassiek en al daai soort verstellings.....

Geniet hom!!

As jy op ry na Thinus toe in Pta, stop gou vir 10 minute by my, ek is net 3km wes van die N3 (by Gillooly's)op die R24 en dan kan jy gou na die radio kyk. ek is op nul ag 3 2 nege ses vyf 7 twintig. Ek is maar meeste van die tyd by die huis besig met goed hier rond.

Ek wil sommer dan met jou gesels, my broer wil sy ou Cruiser v8 verkoop, nog baie standaard, maar 'n "grey import" wat hy by sy pel Ken Forrester, die wynmaker, gekoop het. Hy het nou Ken se Cayenne V8 Sport gekoop, so nou moet die Cruiser waai. Probleem, hy is in Stellenbosch

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”