Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Re: Bridgestone tyres and punctures

Post by SJC »

On the one Voetspore series (one of the series where they were driving Patrols) they openly & continuously complained about all the punctures they were getting. The camera revealed Bridgestone Deullers...(was not MT's though.. iirc)
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

1. You cannot compare H/T tyres low profile to A/T tyres with a larger profile .. H/T will always loose in off road conditions

2. I have done in excess of 600,000 km over many years ONLY using Bridgestone Duellers A/T 694's. Only ONE puncture ever, on a rock shaped like an ax [ i was looking at the sunset, not watching where I was going, in Richtersveld] Those trips include Van Zyl's Pass and Baboons Pass Savuti, Linyanthi, and many times where NO roads or tracks were, in search of Cattle Posts to carry out our Outreaches.

I have tried other makes: BFG [NEVER again], Coopers [NOT impressed] Dunlop A/T [not for my money] General Grabbers [M/T and A/T] .. still stuck with them.. I now replace them with Bridgestone Duellers again as they puncture. one after the other.

We replaced the Jimny's set Duellers A/T 694 [not 697] last month, the are still good for 30,000 km but the had done 150,000 km on the Jimny [and Charles' price was inviting]

Thus, My tyre choice? Dueller A/T 694 all the way .. Dueller A/T 697 ?? its early days still
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

I also like my BS694s they have treated me well with maybe one or two punctures with at least 5 sets on my Terrano and Pathfinder.

I've never had them on my Patrols for longer than one or two trips, as I have bought one Patrol with fairly worn BS394 and then fitted my MTR set as replacements. (I have two sets of rims and tyres for both my Patrol and my Pathfinder; a set of ATRs and a set of MTRs)

Currently I have newish (10kbkm) BFG KO2s on my Patrol and after just one trail (Heidelberg last year) I have some superficial cuts on the sidewalls, which worry me a bit.

On a trip to Namibia on 2016, l lost 3 GY (Kevlar) MTRs in 2 days, of which the spare had not done 5000 km..... Never GYs again.

What I do find with the current BS394s on my Pathfinder is that they slip (wheelspin) very easily in normal pull-offs, even on dry tar. OK, they only have 2 to 3mm of tread left, maybe the last bit of rubber is a much harder compound.
Pieter B
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Botha
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Pieter B »

I believe the Bridgestone A/T tyre is not a LT (light truck) type of tyre. Maybe that's why it doesn't do so well with some weight on them ie on a Patrol
Mizio
Full Name: Maurizio grossi
Nickname: Mizio
Home Town: Capetown
Current 4x4: 2017 patrol y62 black panther
Home Language: English

Post by Mizio »

I also have a y 62 and have done a lot of research on tires , the 18” are not easy to find I have replaced my Bridgestone with a set of BFG 305/65/18 and they just fit perfectly with the standard rims
I didn’t want the tires to stick out , I know that you can also fit the BFG 285/65/18 and save a little on fuel consumption but a v8 was never about fuel consumption
So far 6000 km later no issues
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Pieter B wrote: 09 Sep 2019 11:21 I believe the Bridgestone A/T tyre is not a LT (light truck) type of tyre. Maybe that's why it doesn't do so well with some weight on them ie on a Patrol
Pieter - a f I k .. Dueller is an L/T tyre The Grabbers are not. Weight had no adverse impact/effect on the Duellers I had. Even towing a caravan over Van Zyls Pass. ae daai Hard Body se gat was GELAAI Duellers ook op AGAROB gehad [rooi Patrol 3.0] Geen probleme ooit en my standaard druk is 1,8 selfs op die lang pad
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Pieter B
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Botha
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Pieter B »

Ek het 'n stel op my Ranger by die werk en daar staan nerens LT op hulle nie. Op al die ander make wat ek al onder oe gehad het is dit duidelik gemerk.
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Jorrie »

Kagiso II wrote: 10 Sep 2019 17:54
Pieter B wrote: 09 Sep 2019 11:21 I believe the Bridgestone A/T tyre is not a LT (light truck) type of tyre. Maybe that's why it doesn't do so well with some weight on them ie on a Patrol
Pieter - a f I k .. Dueller is an L/T tyre The Grabbers are not. Weight had no adverse impact/effect on the Duellers I had. Even towing a caravan over Van Zyls Pass. ae daai Hard Body se gat was GELAAI Duellers ook op AGAROB gehad [rooi Patrol 3.0] Geen probleme ooit en my standaard druk is 1,8 selfs op die lang pad
Daar is verskillende Duelers. Party is LT en andere is nie.
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)

Return to “14. Rims & Tyres”