Full Name: Arthur Keizer
Nickname: Arthur
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol Y61
2019 Patrol Y62
Home Language: Afrikaans

Bridgestone tyres and punctures

Post by keizart »

Interesting tyre observation I have had. I have a 2006 GU and have gone through 3 sets of BF Goodrich tyres. We only use the patrol for vacations and when we do road trips it normally is 75% off the tar. Never had a puncture, and I drive my loaded patrol on about 1.5 to 1.6 bar.

So a month ago, by chance my local Nissan dealer needed to get rid of a new y62 patrol, and I happened to be in the right place at the right time. My wife gave me permission to help the dealer, only if the patrol was not "ugly". Obviously I now own 2 patrols one 4.8 and now also a 5.6.

Could not wait to take the new machine on a road trip, and last week took her fully loaded on the R358 to Pofadder from Bitterfontein beginning a Northern Cape / Karoo trip. 30km before Pofadder got a big hole in one of the new Duelers. I suspect it was because I ran them at 2 bar as suggested by other Bridgestone users. Got it repaired at Fit-It in Kakamas. Can highly recommend them. Few days later another puncture on the side wall that happened on a Caracal track in the Namakwa National Park. At this stage i ran them at 1.8 bar.

I cannot trust these Bridgestone tyres. Cannot wait to replace them, but they are brand new, so I have to sit it out. The tyre people recommend Cooper above Bfgs.

The new Patrol was brilliant though. I am extremely happy.
Spike
Full Name: Spike Pretorius
Nickname: Spike
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: 4.8 GRX 2008 (platkar/daily driver)
Many others, here and abroad.....it's my job
Home Language: Sleg soutpiel

Re: Bridgestone tyres and punctures

Post by Spike »

Years ago I had a set of Duelers on a vehicle and they gave me above average mileage but I had many punctures........ all in the same tyre though. The others in the set of 5 gave zero issues. Perhaps there is just a quality control issue resulting in random lemons

Edited to add.... for what its worth, I've been running Maxxis Bighorns for the last 13 years or so, both here and abroad, with not one single puncture. Recently moved to a cheapy brand so my luck might change
:oldtimer:
Sardonic Fattist

Ikigai. Do what you love. Love what you do.
Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of minds to think
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

I had a set of Bridgestone Dueller muddies on my GU. Too many sidewall cuts. Not again.

Currently using Charlie’s Powertracs from China. Very happy with them. Also less than half the price of the big names, incl. Duellers.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Dulers at are the worst for cuts out there its just kak say away its the way the tread has no cover for soft sidewalls ...standard issue on frottunas ....must be why🤔🤔🤔🤔
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Yeah, also not a fan of the bridgstone tyre. Had duellers on when I bought it, and had blowout on a rear left tyre on my way back from Moz. I am a Kumho tyre fan, but even their A/T's I have on have taked a beating on some harsh offroad trails, and I have also had a sidewall puncture with them. My next move will be for the Kumho MT51 muddies that look like they will be very good on tar and give me what I need on any gravel and rocky trail. And fairly priced too I might add.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Spike
Full Name: Spike Pretorius
Nickname: Spike
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: 4.8 GRX 2008 (platkar/daily driver)
Many others, here and abroad.....it's my job
Home Language: Sleg soutpiel

Post by Spike »

Alex Roux wrote: 07 Sep 2019 14:53 Powertracs from China. Very happy with them.
I made the same move. Happy so far. Well Windforce actually. Ordered a batch of Powertracs and Windforce were delivered instead. Die selfde ding, jy spel hom net anders.
:oldtimer:
Sardonic Fattist

Ikigai. Do what you love. Love what you do.
Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of minds to think
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by iandvl »

I have had Dueller D674 (I think - I am too lazy to go and check at the moment) muddies for the last two sets. I have had three punctures in total. One where I wrote off a tyre as I did not realise the back right tyre had gone flat until I had absolutely destroyed it. The other two were repairable. The tyres were used in every application - from ice to river trips to desert to rock climbing. I have generally been very happy with them.

I have a nick in the sidewall on my front left. It is just on the upper layer of rubber - the plies are fine. That was from Piesangkloof.

That said, the duellers have taken one hell of a beating on my last trip, and will need replacing soon.

I am currently looking at Maxxis, but will still make up my mind. Cost factors here - the dueller muds have simply become too expensive. Otherwise, I would get another set tomorrow.

Just my 2c. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

There are loads of specials on mickey thompson tyres these days and its always been a goid tyre. So maybe shop around for some prices on them as well
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

iandvl wrote: 07 Sep 2019 18:07 I have had Dueller D674 (I think - I am too lazy to go and check at the moment) muddies for the last two sets. I have had three punctures in total. One where I wrote off a tyre as I did not realise the back right tyre had gone flat until I had absolutely destroyed it. The other two were repairable. The tyres were used in every application - from ice to river trips to desert to rock climbing. I have generally been very happy with them.

I have a nick in the sidewall on my front left. It is just on the upper layer of rubber - the plies are fine. That was from Piesangkloof.

That said, the duellers have taken one hell of a beating on my last trip, and will need replacing soon.

I am currently looking at Maxxis, but will still make up my mind. Cost factors here - the dueller muds have simply become too expensive. Otherwise, I would get another set tomorrow.

Just my 2c. :)
Ian the muds are totally different ...it has rubber that protects the sidewall
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

My previous set of tires were Bridgestone muds.

I had several punctures, all through the tread (no sidewall punctures). One of these was a pebble!

Life was pretty good, but towards the end they became really brittle.

I have an opinion on sidewall punctures: they are mostly the result of a wheel being where it shouldn't be. I have found that I have less sidewall issues the narrower the tire I run. Obviously, the fact that a Patrol is wider than most in the track plays a role here. We are basically driving in areas where the other cars aren't.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “14. Rims & Tyres”