Full Name: Oz
Nickname: Oz
Home Town: East London
Current 4x4: Hilux
Home Language: Enbglish

Buying a Lesotho Reg

Post by WannabeTroll »

Hi Guys

Can some describe the process / challenges of buying Lesotho registered vehicles?

Cheers
Currently looking for a Y61 Patrol TD42.
Nissan KingCab
Full Name: Danie
Nickname: Danie
Home Town: Madibeng
Current 4x4: 2005 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
2001 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GL (SOLD)
Home Language: Afr

Re: Buying a Lesotho Reg

Post by Nissan KingCab »

You can ask Oetie on the forum, his Patrol is from Lesotho.
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

Kontak ook vir Tinus Lotz oppie forum

shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Oetie
Full Name: Leon Fouche
Nickname: Oetie
Home Town: Rooihuiskraal, Centurion
Current 4x4: 2009 TD42T Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Oetie »

The steps to follow to register a vehicle from Lesotho as I have received it from a contact of Tinus:

Step 1: Deregister vehicle in country of origin by doing a police clearance and receiving a SARPCO certificate
Step 2: When arriving at the border you need to pay border tax and VAT to which you will receive a SAD 500
Step 3: Directly head to Trade and Industry Department with the vehicle to have it inspected and receive a ITAC certificate
Step 4: Directly take vehicle to the SABS at Groenkloof in Pretoria for inspection and receive a NCIR certificate
Step 5: When all above is done and obtained, I will take all the certificates, copy of ID, proof of address, proof of sale, vehicle registration certificate (6 copies with original) to a guy in Centurion (Tyler - 0seven6 three 66 five26one) that will do the registration

I believe that somewhere around step 4 I need to get a police clearance in South Africa as well, and again after 21 days before registration can be made. Will confirm once I have received confirmation.
One life, live it to the fullest!!
ORRA - L65
HAM - ZS6LEF

Tlou - 2009 Patrol TD42T
Oetie

Post by Oetie »

Oetie wrote: 29 Apr 2019 09:44 The steps to follow to register a vehicle from Lesotho as I have received it from a contact of Tinus:

Step 1: Deregister vehicle in country of origin by doing a police clearance and receiving a SARPCO certificate
Step 2: When arriving at the border you need to pay border tax and VAT to which you will receive a SAD 500
Step 3: Directly head to Trade and Industry Department with the vehicle to have it inspected and receive a ITAC certificate
Step 4: Directly take vehicle to the SABS at Groenkloof in Pretoria for inspection and receive a NCIR certificate
Step 5: When all above is done and obtained, I will take all the certificates, copy of ID, proof of address, proof of sale, vehicle registration certificate (6 copies with original) to a guy in Centurion (Tyler - 0seven6 three 66 five26one) that will do the registration

I believe that somewhere around step 4 I need to get a police clearance in South Africa as well, and again after 21 days before registration can be made. Will confirm once I have received confirmation.
Update on the registration from Lesotho:

Step 1: Deregister vehicle in country of origin by doing a police clearance and receiving a SARPCO certificate ( I have done this subsequently as I have received the vehicle from Lesotho with a SARPCO certificate, but the vehicle was not yet deregistered)
Step 2: When arriving at the border you need to pay border tax and VAT to which you will receive a SAD 500. The SAD 500 have to have a SARS block stamp on the back for which i had to take the vehicle to SARS in the CBD for inspection and the stamp to be applied. At the border was issued the SAD 500; SARS Notification CN1 and CN2. I was suppose to get a copy of the Customs EDI but they did not hand it back to me. Thankfully the clearing agent I used kept a copy that was emailed to me( I have also done this subsequently as I wanted to ensure i have an ITAC certificate and Letter of Authority before I pay over the VAT on the vehicle. I would suggest you use a clearing agent to assist with the border clearance. I have used Dorcas Logistics in Maseru, without her I would have struggled as she took care of the border, both Lesotho and SA documents
Step 3: I applied for the ITAC certificate from the Department of Trade and had to prove that the vehicle was imported into Lesotho as a new vehicle and received a letter that an import permit was not required as the vehicle was imported directly from Nissan in Japan to Maseru, Lesotho
Step 4: After the ITAC certificate was received I had to take the vehicle to Nissan in Rosslyn for an inspection as this was required for the next step. Nissan inspected the vehicle to ensure all was to SA standards, this included all the lights, windows, safety belts)
Step 5: With the ITAC certificate and Nissan report in hand, I applied for the Letter of Authority from the NRCS at the SABS at Groenkloof
Step 6: With all the above in place, I took the vehicle to Watloo for the RPI to be done (Police clearance in South Africa)
Step 7: Took the vehicle to a testing centre for the weighbridge certificate to be issued
Step 8: All of the above plus copy of ID and proof or residence and the tax invoice for the purchase of the vehicle is submitted to the authorities for registration.

I understand that after the vehicle is registered in the system i will have to do the micro dot process, or something like that.

All papers are about to be submitted; so hopefully, if all goes well i will have GP plates in about 3 weeks time.
ORRA - L65
HAM - ZS6LEF

Tlou - 2009 Patrol TD42T
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

Very valuable info!
:thumbup:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
NA Harding
Full Name: Ashraf Ali
Nickname: NA Harding
Home Town: Harding
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 3.0 suv
Nissan Patrol 4.2td pick up
Bmw x5 e53 3.0d
Nissan Elgrand
Home Language: English

Post by NA Harding »

Thanks for the update.
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by iandvl »

Thanks for the update Leon. :salute:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Oetie

Post by Oetie »

Oetie wrote: 25 Jul 2019 13:38
Oetie wrote: 29 Apr 2019 09:44 The steps to follow to register a vehicle from Lesotho as I have received it from a contact of Tinus:

Update on the registration from Lesotho:

Step 1: Deregister vehicle in country of origin by doing a police clearance and receiving a SARPCO certificate ( I have done this subsequently as I have received the vehicle from Lesotho with a SARPCO certificate, but the vehicle was not yet deregistered)
Step 2: When arriving at the border you need to pay border tax and VAT to which you will receive a SAD 500. The SAD 500 have to have a SARS block stamp on the back for which i had to take the vehicle to SARS in the CBD for inspection and the stamp to be applied. At the border was issued the SAD 500; SARS Notification CN1 and CN2. I was suppose to get a copy of the Customs EDI but they did not hand it back to me. Thankfully the clearing agent I used kept a copy that was emailed to me( I have also done this subsequently as I wanted to ensure i have an ITAC certificate and Letter of Authority before I pay over the VAT on the vehicle. I would suggest you use a clearing agent to assist with the border clearance. I have used Dorcas Logistics in Maseru, without her I would have struggled as she took care of the border, both Lesotho and SA documents
Step 3: I applied for the ITAC certificate from the Department of Trade and had to prove that the vehicle was imported into Lesotho as a new vehicle and received a letter that an import permit was not required as the vehicle was imported directly from Nissan in Japan to Maseru, Lesotho
Step 4: After the ITAC certificate was received I had to take the vehicle to Nissan in Rosslyn for an inspection as this was required for the next step. Nissan inspected the vehicle to ensure all was to SA standards, this included all the lights, windows, safety belts)
Step 5: With the ITAC certificate and Nissan report in hand, I applied for the Letter of Authority from the NRCS at the SABS at Groenkloof
Step 6: With all the above in place, I took the vehicle to Watloo for the RPI to be done (Police clearance in South Africa)
Step 7: Took the vehicle to a testing centre for the weighbridge certificate to be issued
Step 8: All of the above plus copy of ID and proof or residence and the tax invoice for the purchase of the vehicle is submitted to the authorities for registration.

I understand that after the vehicle is registered in the system i will have to do the micro dot process, or something like that.

All papers are about to be submitted; so hopefully, if all goes well i will have GP plates in about 3 weeks time.
Final update on the process:

Registering the vehicle on the eNatis system takes about a month, after which you have a month to register the vehicle in your name.
After the eNatis registration I had to take the vehicle back to SAPS at Waltloo for a second SAPS / Interpol clearance with a waiting time of 14 work days.
Had to do the micro dotting and a road worthy test.

Vehicle now registered in my name with GP plates.
ORRA - L65
HAM - ZS6LEF

Tlou - 2009 Patrol TD42T
NA Harding
Full Name: Ashraf Ali
Nickname: NA Harding
Home Town: Harding
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 3.0 suv
Nissan Patrol 4.2td pick up
Bmw x5 e53 3.0d
Nissan Elgrand

Post by NA Harding »

Congratulations!

So happy all worked out well.

It takes courage to do what you did.

Really appreciate all the info and updates.

Return to “36. Vehicles For Sale/Swap”