iNyathi did NOT make it. Sell scrap or revive ?

Showcase your baby
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: iNyathi did NOT make it. Sell scrap or revive ?

Post by Michael »

Cedric, you are 100% correct.
But believe it or not, I have had one case where the precomp came loose and with all the 100's and thousands of combustions the precomp worked through the steel gaskit and worked its way inbetween the head and the piston. It distroyed the engine...... broke the piston, broke the sleeve, bent the conrod and so on.

This was off course a pirate head.

Will see if I still have the pics
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Iaan du Toit
Full Name: Iaan du Toit
Nickname: Iaan
Home Town: Sabie
Current 4x4: Patrol pickup
Patrol 4.8
Hilux D4D

Post by Iaan du Toit »

My experience;

Many many years ago I bought my first 4x4, a series 3 diesel Land Rover, my pride and joy, from an elderly farmer whom I respected very much. He told me about a cylinder head gasket problem as well as over heating.

I took the head off and had it pressure tested, new valves, new pre combustion chambers, head skimmed. Put the head back, drove 1 km and one of the valves got bent. Took the head off, back to the engineering shop, Repaired the valve. Put the head back. Within 3000 km I was driving an all hell broke lose. Tow the vehicle to the engineering shop. They opened the engine and one off the pre combustion chambers ended up between the piston and the head. To this day I cannot understand this, but I have experienced and seen it with my own eyes.

Now the scary part, the engineering company repaired the damage, within 7000 km the crankshaft broke. I believe that the crank got damaged when the pre combustion chamber got between the head and the piston.

I took an oath never to own a Land Rover again and have kept it all these years.

Oom Mac, I feel your pain, I have been there.

I have owned another 4x4 with an engine conversion, I also took an oath never again and have kept this oath also all these years.

My advise from experience, stay standard and have the crank exrayed.
Wat ek is, is net genade.
Wat ek het is net geleen.
Iaan du Toit
Full Name: Iaan du Toit
Nickname: Iaan
Home Town: Sabie
Current 4x4: Patrol pickup
Patrol 4.8
Hilux D4D

Post by Iaan du Toit »

Oom Mac tonight feel the urge to share with you what I have learned in life on a spiritual note. Some people on this forum might differ, I do not care, because what I share here I have experienced.

I serve the same Lord that you and Michael serve.

I have lived an adventurous life, I have done and experienced things most people dream of. Today by the world standards I am a poor man, but I have never gone hungry, I have always had a roof over my head. I have had people defrauded me of hundreds of thousands of rand. I had experienced many disasters.

The moment disaster strike you think it is the end of the world, no it is not. Looking back in my life, whenever I thought it is the end of the world, there was always a way out. Some time later everything worked out.

I have experienced and seen miracles happen many times in my life.

If you serve the Lord, the moment you start to worry you tell the Lord He is not what He said He is in His Word. It is a slap in His face.

There are many promises in His Word regarding this;
Mat 6:8  Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Ons Pa weet wat ons nodig het voordat ons vra.

Oom Mac plaas hierdie saak in Sy hande en wat vandag vir jou soos Mount Everest voel gaan binnenkort kleiner as n molshoop wees. Wat ek hier meedeel het, het ek vele keer ondervind in my lewe, ek preek nie, deel net wat ek deur swaarkry geleer het.

Maak die engine oop, om te meet is om te weet.
Wat ek is, is net genade.
Wat ek het is net geleen.
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Iaan du Toit wrote: 04 Jun 2019 22:49 Oom Mac tonight feel the urge to share with you what I have learned in life on a spiritual note. Some people on this forum might differ, I do not care, because what I share here I have experienced.

I serve the same Lord that you and Michael serve.

I have lived an adventurous life, I have done and experienced things most people dream of. Today by the world standards I am a poor man, but I have never gone hungry, I have always had a roof over my head. I have had people defrauded me of hundreds of thousands of rand. I had experienced many disasters.

The moment disaster strike you think it is the end of the world, no it is not. Looking back in my life, whenever I thought it is the end of the world, there was always a way out. Some time later everything worked out.

I have experienced and seen miracles happen many times in my life.

If you serve the Lord, the moment you start to worry you tell the Lord He is not what He said He is in His Word. It is a slap in His face.

There are many promises in His Word regarding this;
Mat 6:8  Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Ons Pa weet wat ons nodig het voordat ons vra.

Oom Mac plaas hierdie saak in Sy hande en wat vandag vir jou soos Mount Everest voel gaan binnenkort kleiner as n molshoop wees. Wat ek hier meedeel het, het ek vele keer ondervind in my lewe, ek preek nie, deel net wat ek deur swaarkry geleer het.

Maak die engine oop, om te meet is om te weet.
Dankie Ian .. Ons koppe werk dieselfde Broer. Ek is verby stress en worry. My beplanning vir die Zambie, Malawio, Mozambiek, Caprivi, Botswana Uitreik [all in one] gaan voort
Alreeds staan 'n Terrano reg as iNyathi nioe klaar kom voor Augustus nie,
Uitreike vat my steeds waar ander nie kan of wil gaan nie. Ek sien jaarliks die geweldige Geestelike groei daar waar ek opvolg op vorige uitreike.

Baie dankie Iaan -- Oompie waardeer.
Volgende keer kom jy nog saam op n uitreik. :oldtimer: :oldtimer: :oldtimer:
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]

Post by Kagiso II »

Sooooooooooo, big dept at the banks. iNyathi to be revived. This time by a reputable Engineering shop,
Engine pressure tested. No 1 piston 0 [zero] pressure.
Opened the engine today and Dennis sent me these photo's

My question WHAT Causes that?
IMG-20190612-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20190612-WA0002.jpg (113.03 KiB) Viewed 19953 times
IMG-20190613-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20190613-WA0003.jpg (72.68 KiB) Viewed 19953 times
IMG-20190613-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20190613-WA0004.jpg (93.66 KiB) Viewed 19953 times
Last edited by Kagiso II on 13 Jun 2019 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Maar Mac, daai lyk vir my soos 'n stukkende piston, en dit sal sump pressure veroorsaak wat olie orals laat uitspuit!!

Dis nie ringe wat pap geword het daai nie. Ringe word pap van oorverhitting. Hulle breek in stukkies van te hoog rev... Lyk vir my die ounens is reg oor daai Pirate Head van jou en pre-comps wat losgekom het......

Vir my lyk dit of jy vir Michael groot verskoning moet vra omdat jy sonder inspeksie, sy naam sommer gaan en beswadder het en hom blameer het vir swak werkmanskap!!.
Last edited by mvcoller on 13 Jun 2019 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Kagiso II wrote: 13 Jun 2019 15:38 My question WHAT Causes that?
Oom Mac, before this gets out of hand, I guess that's what your first post should've focused on...
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Oom Mac, It has become blatantly obvious to whom you are casting the blame on this. It has also become clear on many other social media platforms. Please understand that here on this Forum we do not tolerate any form of defamation etc. Although you don't mention a name on the "back yard mechanic", I will say me, as I don't want to speak for everyone am getting a bit upset with the way you are conducting yourself, especially as a Christian man that you profess to be. I think you need to step back and relook at your conduct and then you need to get a full analysis of that motor done first before you hammer in to someones credibility.

Please post a photo of the head so we can all look at it and see. Make 100% sure of ALL your facts before you say (type), and share the full whole history of what has been done and why was it done that way. We all know there is 2 sides to any story.... your side.....his side....and the truth will be evident.

I am really saddened by what I have seen, read and heard over the last few weeks. This is NOT how Patrol Owners are.

Oom Mac, please, I have known you for many years and this is not how you claim to be.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
martyn
Full Name: Charles Fry
Nickname: Charlie
Home Town: Robertson
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.5
Home Language: English

Post by martyn »

Couldn't the reputable engineering shop tell you?
Diem Dulcem Habes
Have a good day
Jannie Vosser
Full Name: Johannes Jacobus Vosser
Nickname: Jannie
Home Town: STELLA ; North West Province
Current 4x4: 2009 4.2 DIESEL TDi PATROL PICK UP
2012 2.5 diesel 4x4 NP300 BAKKIE

Post by Jannie Vosser »

martyn wrote: 13 Jun 2019 17:19 Couldn't the reputable engineering shop tell you?
Zigzaggedly!

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”