iNyathi did NOT make it. Sell scrap or revive ?

Showcase your baby
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: iNyathi did NOT make it. Sell scrap or revive ?

Post by Peter Connan »

I will say it again, I am not a diesel expert.
But I can't see that the gradual loss of power and then eventually sudden clouds of smoke and a Krrrr noise can be caused by rings that have gone soft?

As for what to do about it, well, that's tougher. From own personal (and very recent) experience, I know that the 4.2TDi engine is a very expensive engine to re-build. Not as expensive as more modern diesels, but far more expensive than the TB-series. Also, I understand that Inyathi currently has a pirate cylinder head, and reading on the Aus forum, these pirate heads have quite a bad reputation in a number of areas. Those areas include longevity, bad port routing and bad pre-combustion chambers. By the way, the symptoms of the bad pre-combustion chambers are exactly the hard cold starting and clouds of white smoke you have been complaining about.

I will post more about this in a separate thread, but I am currently busy doing a TD42 conversion. I have had to re-sleeve the block, replace the head (with Nissan original), replace the radiator, recondition the turbo and replace the fuel pump (with a second-hand one).

Due to a lot of help from kind souls on this forum, the cost of all that (excluding the base engine) is currently around R75k. Compared to that, the re-build of my TB45 after last year's Botswana disaster was only about R16k (although it should have been a bit more than that as we should have replaced the front cover and oil pump, and once again due to a kind soul on this forum (Errol) I did not pay for labor.

However, I calculate that despite the huge cost of the diesel, the payback period (with my mileage) is around 3 years (although that is calculated on extensive use of chip-oil).

But I still firmly believe one loses each time one sells a car, and it's even worse if it's a non-runner.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
BaasWiets
Full Name: Wietsche Swanepoel
Nickname: Wiets
Home Town: Delmas
Current 4x4: Nissan Hardbody
Nissan Patrol

Post by BaasWiets »

Maak hom reg Oom Patrols is klaar min werd maar een wat se engin nie so lekker werk nie gaan nog minder werd wees en waar gaan Oom so n lekker kar weer kry.
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

Mac laat Frans vir jou n Ford insit soos wat hy het

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

2US FE Toyota V8 is maar sy voorland .. [dis nie Lexus engine nie .. dis die V8 soos wat in die LC 100 en 200 komk. Met die staal blok, nie ulum nie.
As ek nie so verdomp broke was, nie, het ek vir 'n VK50 gegaan OF n LS 7 .. maar nouja.
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Jorrie »

Oompie
Die beste toer motor is ongetwyfeld die 4.5 petrol motor. Nie die ligste op petrol nie maar hulle gee nie drama nie. En as jy die 4.5 reg tune kan hy goed trek. Ek sal by my 4.5 petrol enjin hou. Trust nie die diesel enjins nie.
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Kagiso II wrote: 02 Jun 2019 20:54 2US FE Toyota V8 is maar sy voorland .. [dis nie Lexus engine nie .. dis die V8 soos wat in die LC 100 en 200 komk. Met die staal blok, nie ulum nie.
As ek nie so verdomp broke was, nie, het ek vir 'n VK50 gegaan OF n LS 7 .. maar nouja.
Oom, ek praat uit pynlike ondervinding, daar is nie so iets soos 'n goedkoop ombouing nie.

Die v8s in Patrol vereis mooi dink en custom werk rondom
(1) die roete wat die uitlaatpyp moet loop (om oorgangs ratkas te vermy),
(2) enjin mounitngs en
(3) bellhousing (custom mold).

Buiten al die pyp en draad werk, is dit reeds 'n groot werk.
En om hom daarna betroubaar te maak is baie toets ry en teething problems.

En selfs daarna is jou instandhoudings program gans anders as 'n standaard kar.

'n Reguit ses Nissan enjin ombouing sluit bogenomede probleme uit, maar gegewe hoe goedkoop mens 'n 4.5 standaard kan kry, weet ek nie eers of dit die moeite werd is nie.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

I used a pirate head on my Iron Maiden when I burnt a hole through the no2 piston many many years back..... that head only lasted a few thousand Km, due to water cooling ports being blocked, used a genuine Nissan head, and never looked back.... 150 000 Km ago. Although I did do my motor on the "cheap", sadly one has to spend the money initially to get the full reliability of that motor. All I need now is better turbo to give me a little more air at the top end, and I will have the perfect power for my needs.

Oom I hope you get that motor sorted out. I know Micheal knows these motors backwards, and he would need to do a complete check of everything from top to bottom, will it be cheap?.... no probably not, will it be right?.... oh yes, that i do not doubt. But he will have to go through everything and not just do bits and pieces repairs.

Good luck Oom
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Anthony Forgey
Full Name: Anthony Forgey
Nickname: Anthony
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: 98 4.2D (turbo'd)

Post by Anthony Forgey »

This a very unpleasant thing to have happen to anybody.

Rings for the pistons already come fitted to the pistons, Michael doesn't install them. Rings don't suddenly fail like that, except if a motor is heat seized and the ring gap closes past its tolerance.

Oil in the intercooler is normal... that's why people fit catch cans. I always have oil in mine.

Sounds like you have a pirate head and a pre-comp has dropped and broken a piston crown. That wouldn't be the mechanic's fault, its related to the component.

I don't think that blaming Michael for everything that goes wrong with your patrol is fair or reasonable. you have had your car at multiple places having work done. I saw it at turbo works once when I was there, so Michael is not the only person to work on your car.

I hope you manage to sort it out. It's not lekker for anyone when there's something wrong with our vehicles.
Intelligence is measured in smarts, stature is measured in hearts
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Oom Mac this is not a lekke one for anybody ....we all feel your pain ....
BUT you are saying what is wrong before you even looked and checked :doh:
Your turbo seal could have gone and thats why oil gets less and power also , but the sudden kank in the motor and then sump compression is 99 % a precomp that dropped and make a hole in a piston iam very sure about that .
Please if you keep your patrol fix the piston and put a new nissan head .......all will be good and you can use it for what you want .....putting v8 ect ect is going to bite you in the bum .....if you dont want a diesel pleanty 4.5 motors going around complete for about 15k with everything ....
A
Would really want to see what went wrong there keep us posted and some pics of the internals would be nice ....
Good luck and hope you make the correct choice
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

I don't think the precoms can drop as they are kind of half wedged in between the block and the head. Even if they were loose, which I doubt can happen ( but I may be wrong ....I'm no expert ) as they are reasonably tight fitting in the head and heat wise I would have thought that they expand more or less the same, and stay in place. It will be interesting to see when the motor is opened up.

Here is a pic of my aftermarket head where it cracked due to blocked water ports. See the precoms position ....
311020111222 smaller.jpg
311020111222 smaller.jpg (136.19 KiB) Viewed 12259 times
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”