Metsimohlabe River Run 2018

Please share information about trips you have done
Craig Lord
Full Name: Craig Lord
Nickname: Craig
Home Town: Tuli Block
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX Nissan Patrol (sold)
Home Language: English

Metsimohlabe River Run 2018

Post by Craig Lord »

Hello everyone :thumbup:

We had a great day exploring the Metsimotlhabe river about 50km west of Gaborone so I thought I would do a short trip report with maps and a few pictures in case anyone would like to do it one day. It's great fun with plenty of opportunities to test your vehicle or even just cruise along and enjoy the scenery.

The Metsimotlhabe is a large river that originates in the hills south west of Moshupa village and flows north east where it terminates in Bokaa dam just north east of Gaborone. The river is nearly 100 meters wide in places and flows through some spectacular hills and gorges. There are plenty of places that one could enter the river and so you can really just pick a spot on google earth and choose your own adventure. There was three vehicles in the convoy. My Mrs and I in the patrol with the dogs, my folks in their 2.8 Shorty and a hilux.

We chose to enter the river in the upper reaches just south of Moshupa town because one of us in the convoy had done this route before and we did not have to do any major planning, just pack the braai and beers and off we went.
Screenshot_20181209-090115_Maps.jpg
We entered at the red marker and the yellow waypoints represent nice spots to stop and have lunch as well as exit points back to the main road. Of course if anyone would like these I will happily share them via wats app or email. There is quite a bit of illegal sand extraction happening in the river so finding a suitable entry point took a bit of searching but we soon found a way around and into the river. The large holes caused by the sand extraction is not a major problem as there are loops around these points so one can just drive around and back into the river on the other side.

Once you are in the river it's easy going with a firm base in most places but there are also plenty of areas where one could have a bit of fun testing the capabilities of your vehicle. We cruised down stream for about 4km before we found a nice shady place to have lunch. The whole drive in the river on the day was only about 10km but it feels like alot more when you are going slowly and constantly stopping to check places out. One could potentially drive the while length of the river but it would require more research and you would have to use your initiative to find routes around obsticals that might block your way. The whole length of the river is bordered by farm land and you will encounter locals along the way. Everyone is quite friendly and willing to show you the way around things or let you pass through their farms in exchange for a beer so stay friendly and polite and you will have a good time.

After lunch a storm formed upstream from us and we could see rain falling in the catchment so it was time to get out as none of our vehicles have outboards and pontoons. I have attached some of the pictures to give an idea of what it's like. I will try upload some videos onto the forum Facebook page also.

If anyone comes through Gabs and wants to do it give me a shout and I will give you more info. The river is constantly changing and my route may not be accessible in the future so you might have to do things differently. It's a great day trip either way.

Cheers
Attachments
20181208_102635.jpg
20181208_112530.jpg
20181208_112029.jpg
20181208_111821.jpg
20181208_114446.jpg
IMG-20181209-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20181209-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20181208-WA0038.jpg
IMG-20181208-WA0041.jpg
IMG-20181208-WA0036.jpg
IMG-20181209-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20181209-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20181209-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20181209-WA0005.jpg
When in doubt throttle out !

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Metsimohlabe River Run 2018

Post by Peter Connan »

Now that looks like great fun Craig!

Thanks for sharing.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

:bravo:

Amazing stuff.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

Looks like great fun.

A bit far for us here in Gauteng for a day trip, but will see if possible to join it with another possible trip that we might be doing this year, if possible then it would be an awsome trip.

Let me look at the maps and take it from there :thumbup:
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
Craig Lord

Post by Craig Lord »

Yes for sure it's too far for you guys if you are coming from joburg way. You could potentially stay in the Mokolodi Game Reserve challets or camp sites to break the trip and then head out to the river for the day as it's only 50km from there. After the river you could stay again in the reserve and then continue your trip the next day....

For the best info on the river you should contact the guys on the Gaborone Motor Club Facebook group. There are guys in that group who will be able to provide more info than me as this was my first time. Otherwise if anyone wanted I could speak directly to the guys and relay info back if needed.

But like I said the river changes every time it flows so it will be a different experience each time and its great fun :thumbup:

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

Enige idee hoe ver die plekke van die rivier is?

Lichtenburg en Doornrivier

Van Zeerust is dit 150km na Thamaga .......

mhhh die kan dalk werk as ons dit kombineer met die Skilpadhek roete....
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
Craig Lord

Post by Craig Lord »

It would be cool to try and add it in as an extra part of one of the planned routes. I see that the Skilpadshek route is planned for April. It would be ideal to do a rekkie trip to make sure there wont be any headaches on the way. Even more ideal to see if there is a place to camp for the night near the river.... I dont know if I will be able to take leave in April to come back down from the Tuli Bkock but we can see closer to the time.

If I can then I will come back a few days before and make sure the route is sorted for the day :thumbup:

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)

Return to “24. Trip Reports”