Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Re: Let's talk spotlights

Post by David M »

You can get an H4 kit (Headlight conversion) from 4X4 direct around the corner from you for R 1 320. Plug and play and takes 15 min to fit. Did it to my 4.5 and the Firetruck. Makes a big difference.

Big spots are not a good idea on the TD :mytwocents:
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
martyn
Full Name: Charles Fry
Nickname: Charlie
Home Town: Robertson
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.5

Post by martyn »

Sorry Oetie, I thought it was Craig with his 4.8 that was looking. Missed your first post. :sleep:
Diem Dulcem Habes
Have a good day
martyn
Full Name: Charles Fry
Nickname: Charlie
Home Town: Robertson
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.5

Post by martyn »

Got a set of led globes from zone offroad and had them align them with their headlight machine. Great lights and doesn't dazzle oncoming car's.
Diem Dulcem Habes
Have a good day
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

I have the KC Spots on my TD42, but luckily I don't have any overheating issues on my Ed Force One.

One thing to be careful of with LED lighting is radio interference. I bought some LED H4 globes for my normal driving lights (dims and brights) from Aliexpress a last year sometime, and they were also not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. As soon as I fitted them I had horrendous radio reception when they were on dims, and were slightly better on brights. I complained to the supplier and he sent me a different set no charge. These work brilliantly. Better light spray, and "look good" without shining in oncoming drivers eyes.

But back to the spotlights, On these I have upgraded the globes to 110w (if my memory is correct) globes from the standard 55w globes that come standard with basically all spotlights. What is really nice with this setup is that the LED from the main lights is a blue white light, which is also not the ideal for night driving, but now my spots are a normal warm white, and the combination of the 2 gives me an amazing light wave width, and allows me to see certain things better that just with the blue LED light.

Just my opinion, but if we are ever together in the dark one trip, I'll happily show you. Might be nice to get a light test between different setups.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

David M wrote: 18 May 2020 17:27 You can get an H4 kit (Headlight conversion) from 4X4 direct around the corner from you for R 1 320. Plug and play and takes 15 min to fit. Did it to my 4.5 and the Firetruck. Makes a big difference.

Any idea whether these bulbs are sealed? Because the actual lights on the GQ are not, so the globes get wet if one fords...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David vd Merwe
Nickname: David - Hillbilly
Home Town: West Coast
Current 4x4: 1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani Mk3 4x4 SFA (SAFANI)
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by davidvdm »

Any Traffic Orificer who knows the law to the letter, will be able to give you a fine, or even declare your car unroadworthy if your lights do not carry the relevant certification. This applies to globes as well, specifically the globes in head lights and auxiliary lights. So as long as you can find that E certification on the light, your only worry then, would be that your mounting position is correct. So, LED lights that carry the E certification, can be used, but those are usually the expensive ones.

My son purchased his brand new GD6 Fortuna, and Toyota themselves put a factory fitted lightbar behind the bumper. Two weeks later, on his first business trip with the car into Namibia, they gave him serious flack about the lightbar. Fined and had to be removed before he could carry on. This required the removal of the bumper.

Some notes on legal placement of auxiliary lights, where placement height refers to the center line of the light...
Lights need to be symmetrically placed from the center line of the vehicle, (which thus excludes mounting an uneven number of lights)
Lights may not cross the center line of the vehicle (such as in the case of a light bar).
Lights may not be mounted above the level of the head lights of the vehicle.
Lights may not be mounted behind the vertical position of the headlights, such as those found on Jeeps next to the windscreen, and hence also excludes lights mounted on the roof.
Lights must only be able to work while headlights are on bright, and then also be isolated by a relay and a separate switch.

Out of interest, your vehicle headlights may not be higher than 1.4 meters from the road surface, so watch your lifts :lol: . This turned out to be the only criteria my traffic chief was worried about when I did my lift on the Sani. Old Hillbilly's headlights ended up at 1.1 meters, so they were happy, lol
David - Bfreesani
1997 Nissan Sani MK3 2.7TD - Hillbilly (SAFANI)
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
MQ Transfer as second low range
5" Lift
33"x12.5x15" tires on 8.5J rims - Want 35's
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

I am very happy with my KC Halogen spotlights on my 3.0 Di Patrol. They are 5"in diameter and come standard with 130w globes and 23 year guarantee.

On my Pathfinder I have a set of KC HID spotlights but find the delay when turning them on irritating and find that they are not as good as the Halogen versions. They are also 5" in diameter and come with the same 23 year guarantee.

Regarding light bars and any form of LED spotlight; there are so many different interpretations of the legislation. Namibia does not allow ANY LED lights. I rather stay away from them. The last thing I want is to be arrested on holiday in Namibia, maybe even have my vehicle impounded.....
SCUBA Patrol
Full Name: Phillip Jacobs
Nickname: Phillip
Home Town: Cape Town (Stellenbosch)
Current 4x4: Patrol 2006 3l diesel(die eerste Voetspore een)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by SCUBA Patrol »

for size I would recomen dthe Extreme Lights' Lyra 50W, have a look it out here:

https://www.extremelights.co.za/product ... 28af&_ss=r

They are named a work light but sold in a set, not cheap but fore size I think one of the best. 109mm wide; 80mm deep so can be installed in the place of the "bumper lights" thus not restricting airflow into the radiator.
Phillip
2006 3l with MADMAN
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"

Post by David M »

Peter Connan wrote: 18 May 2020 19:43
David M wrote: 18 May 2020 17:27 You can get an H4 kit (Headlight conversion) from 4X4 direct around the corner from you for R 1 320. Plug and play and takes 15 min to fit. Did it to my 4.5 and the Firetruck. Makes a big difference.

Any idea whether these bulbs are sealed? Because the actual lights on the GQ are not, so the globes get wet if one fords...
The globe is not sealed. I have had no water issues on either GU but can see what the problem could be on the GQ. Check with Alex Roux. He has had them in Skilpad for a while now. Just can't remember if he put them in before or after the Explorers trip. If they where in then and are still going you should have no problems.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Hi Leon

been driving with an LED light-bar since 2017, cost about 120 USD. Been stopped a few times, but never questioned about the light-bar, other things yes. I often end up on trips at night in remote areas, they are truly a light saver :thumbup:

Model I bought: Westin 09-12212-40C B-Force Black Face 20 inch Double Row LED Light Bar with Combo Beam

But there are many options. Good luck!
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)

Return to “13c. Headlights and Replacement Lights”