Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Driving - & Spotlights

Post by Tinus lotz »

Cedric we use to work on powerlines when i worked for eskom use to burn them 12hours on end as long as your engine is running the viscous keep the wind moving also
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Post by David M »

I would imagine it is fine to keep LED spots on for a while but Cedric's lighthouse would drain the battery fairly quickly if the engine was not running. Anyway with the oil burner no lights would get through that cloud of smoke if the motor was running.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

:rolling: :rolling: .... True.... :rolling: :rolling:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Ja ja you okes.....imagine the dark blob with two strips of light :rolling:
bogeyman
Full Name: Christo Boegman
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
'95 patrol 4.2 (now 4.5) sgx plus four 4.2 diesel p/u plus 3 safari workhorses.

Post by bogeyman »

On my Gq I recently replaced the old tired Hella Illuminators with Halogen Light Force spotlights with very large reflectors. They are great and the beam can be adjusted like a Mag light between spot and flood. I also replaced the globes in the main lamps with LED replacement units that has a pc board and little fan included in the globe assembly. Got them at the local traders market(middle east traders) for R1000. they draw very little amperage but the super bright white light is insanely strong.
The combination of warm light from the halogen spots and white light from the leds work very well.

The legal way to run spotlights are like Cedric explained. They must only work with the high beam and must turn off at low beam.

Interesting is the legal amount of lights allowed. Three on each side front. Dim , bright and spot. Technically the led bars are then illegal.They are also not allowed above the bonnet line , so those rollbar mounted spots are illegal.

On my recent work trip to Namibia , the trucks were a menace at night blinding everything with very bright leds and a lot of stray animals. It got so bad that I stopped and slept next to the road halfway through Bots.
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David M »

Christo you are so right about the LED lightbars. I have taken mine off after looking at it from the other drivers point of view. I have a serious 19 000 lumen plus one and it blinds you at over 1 km away.

I looked up the law a couple of weeks ago when deciding on replacements and yep 6 lights, 1,4 m high max but the crux is that the lights must be equally spaced either side of the centre line of the car so single lightbars are illegal but if you put one each side it is ok.

I am thinking a set of 130 W KC's. I know the 130W is not legal but if I look it in real life they are ok from the front at distance and as long as you dip responsibly no problem.

Of course don't get me started about the security bakkies with flashing white LED's on top at dusk or at night. I had one in front of me when I left Jhb the other night to drive to the Transkei through the night. Took hours for my eyes to adjust properly. My local security company has been warned that if I am in the wrong mood they are going to land up with a Ford Ranger engine in the loadbin and I will probably be able to take the marks off the Patrol with Handy Andy.
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

ricster wrote: Not quite sure what you mean about " And the driving lights, are they just on a switch? "
I use the term 'driving lights' to the smaller square/round lights that are typically installed in the bumper below and to the sides of the headlights.

As for working lights, I have a portable LED floodlight that plugs into any cigarette lighter socket.
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David M »

bogeyman wrote: I also replaced the globes in the main lamps with LED replacement units that has a pc board and little fan included in the globe assembly. Got them at the local traders market(middle east traders) for R1000. they draw very little amperage but the super bright white light is insanely strong.
Do you get them for the gu?

The Lightforce beams sound interesting. Spread them wide in fog and use a combination under normal circumstances. Concentrate them for those security bakkies. Where and how much?
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

Hey Cedric - I been looking at the Zartek 477 - is it any good, does it meet the spec advertised?
Where did you buy it?
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Chris, that torch is one of the best torches I've had.... more versatile than the big Maglight I have. It sits permanently in my Patrol through hot/cold/direct sunlight etc, and works like a dream. I have the car charger permanently plugged in, so when I take it out I simply unplug it, use it and put it back on charge. The light is VERY impressive, more a spot than flood light, and has a bright and dim setting.

The battery lasts pretty long still after nearly 3 years of it taking abuse from my kids catching crabs on Ponto beach to lighting up the ceiling void at home to work in there, and its waterproof too so I don't stress if it gets soaking wet in the rain.

I bought mine at Outdoor Warehouse, as it was on special for R 400.00 at the time.

The only negative thing I can say about it is the trigger switch. first click is bright, click again and its on dim, third click is a stupid flashing strobe effect which drives me nuts.

I have a mate who is an agent for Zartek, I'll try find out the price of it.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD

Return to “13c. Headlights and Replacement Lights”