Sweetlips
Full Name: Lawrence
Nickname: Sweetlips
Home Town: Paarl
Current 4x4: 2006 4.8 GRX
Home Language: English

Re: GPS units

Post by Sweetlips »

aceventura wrote: 18 Oct 2019 13:05 Myne het Wi-Fi, so dit connect aan my Wi-Fi wanneer ek by die huis stop en kan dan al die updates ens doen. Die GPS is basic, ek was nog nie in rural areas nie en weet nie of dit met bv. T4A sou werk nie. All-in-one units het voor- en nadele.
Jacques

The way i understand it is that the T4A only works on Garmin units.

I basically want a unit that if i do a trail like Atlantis i can mark the position of the big dune or figure 8 or any other interesting spot so that it is easy for me to find again without the need of a guide who knows the dunes like the back of their hands.
Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!!!
Sweetlips
Full Name: Lawrence
Nickname: Sweetlips
Home Town: Paarl
Current 4x4: 2006 4.8 GRX

Post by Sweetlips »

Tinus lotz wrote: 18 Oct 2019 12:38 Imm...i prefer my unit on the dash :imsorry: but thats just me need to take to pc for downloads ect ...not better to have it in the radio unit?
Tinus my install method must allow me to be able to remove it for downloads and updates from the pc when needed.

I still need to find a person or place i can go speak too regarding my theory lol.
Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!!!
aceventura
Full Name: Jacques Steyn
Nickname: AceVentura
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: '08 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
'96 Ssangyong Musso 602EL TD Executive
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by aceventura »

Sweetlips wrote: 18 Oct 2019 15:57
aceventura wrote: 18 Oct 2019 13:05 Myne het Wi-Fi, so dit connect aan my Wi-Fi wanneer ek by die huis stop en kan dan al die updates ens doen. Die GPS is basic, ek was nog nie in rural areas nie en weet nie of dit met bv. T4A sou werk nie. All-in-one units het voor- en nadele.
Jacques

The way i understand it is that the T4A only works on Garmin units.

I basically want a unit that if i do a trail like Atlantis i can mark the position of the big dune or figure 8 or any other interesting spot so that it is easy for me to find again without the need of a guide who knows the dunes like the back of their hands.
There seems to be a paid Android version, however the user reviews are not great.
https://tracks4africa.co.za/maps/about/ ... one/apple/

My GPS unit does exactly what you described above. I used it in AD, and i was able to retrace my steps and find my way out. Will send a screenshot next time...
When nature calls
Jacques Steyn

2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T (190kw)
Tough Dog Suspension | Outback Extreme Rear Replacement Bumper | Ironman Front Bumper
Air Helpers | Snorkel | Frontrunner Roofrack
Wishlist: TPM, Seat covers, drawer system
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

aceventura wrote: 18 Oct 2019 16:36 There seems to be a paid Android version, however the user reviews are not great.
https://tracks4africa.co.za/maps/about/ ... one/apple/

My GPS unit does exactly what you described above. I used it in AD, and i was able to retrace my steps and find my way out. Will send a screenshot next time...
I have T4A on my iPhone.
It is good for just seeing where you are in the world (and possibly as backup to your Garmin/Tomtom.
But the iPhone version functionality is super-user-UNfriendly.
I suspect the same applies to the android version.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Nee die android een werk mooi want het jy vergeet ...apples kry mos wurms :biggrin:
DerickRoux
Full Name: Derick Roux
Nickname: Derick
Current 4x4: 2001 Patrol 4.5 GRX A/t

Post by DerickRoux »

Guys, just keep the following in mind. There is not a lot of GPS devices out there that can actually accommodate pre-plotted routes from Mapsource or Basecamp for download into the GPS unit.I prefer to pre-plot my trips, by plotting on the Laptop with waypoints and then downloading into the GPS with pre-numbered files. Each day I then just call the route up that I planned to do and navigate on that. Some units can take routes, but you have to plan them on the unit itself and that is a labourious task. On the laptop it is way easier as you can interface with Google Earth as well, play around with travel speed and check daily route distances and estimated travel time. Also easier to add via points if something interesting shows up in the area on T4A.
Coming from my old Garmin Quest II I trawled the internet for a device that I could use without forking out R8k for a GPSMAP 276CX. BTW they have just launched the Overlander at R13k. I managed to find a second hand Nuvi 2460 that can actually accept pre-plotted routes. I am now running with the 2460 (Nice big screen) with T4A on with my routes and a Nuvi 2360 with City maps on (but also with T4A SD card, so I can switch map sets if needed). Best of both worlds running at the same time and there is a fail safe should one of the units fail ( And it has happened, power supply issue to the 2460, not the unit). Think carefully about what you needs are and do a lot of Googling to find the right fit. It's not a cheap exercise. Agree with Tinus on being able to remove as well, to connect to Laptop or even to be able to take it out to explore the area you are in while relaxing under a tree with a cold one. Just my thoughts, use it, don't use it.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

The temps in the car makes the gps break so l like to unclip mine and put it under the seat when standing on the beach ect. But i like the idea.. most double din has like tom tom maps for streets but i prefer the tracks for ofroad thats why i use 3 my caska with tom tom my garmin and my phone with google maps....then i can decide what one works for me :mytwocents:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Lawrence......Looking at your photo you posted, you can have the BEST GPS system available in the world..... if you don't clean your windscreen you still won't be able to see ...... sheeeet..... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: ( I'll bring a squeegee in December when I see you :lol: :lol: )
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
JTEC
Full Name: Jade Dafel
Nickname: JTEC
Home Town: Somerset West
Current 4x4: 94 GQ Patrol TD42

Post by JTEC »

ricster wrote: 21 Oct 2019 10:34 Lawrence......Looking at your photo you posted, you can have the BEST GPS system available in the world..... if you don't clean your windscreen you still won't be able to see ...... sheeeet..... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: ( I'll bring a squeegee in December when I see you :lol: :lol: )
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
GQ Patrol TD42
ex GU Patrol TB48
Bokdrol Adventures

Return to “13b. Audio Systems”