Full Name: Tijmen van der Steenhoven
Nickname: Tijmen
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1997 Patrol TD42 GQ ST
Chevrolet 1974 K10 402 V8
Home Language: Afrikaans

Rear Coils wanted

Post by TijmenvdS »

If anyone has some old heavy duty rear coils taking up space, please give me a shout.

Mine started to collapse, I do have a second set of coils. Fronts work great but the rears are just to light and getting some nice propshaft vibrations.
I don't mind Paying, I would just not like to fork out a lot of cash before the river trip.
IMG_7685.JPG
IMG_7685.JPG (3.6 MiB) Viewed 3597 times
IMG_7692.JPG
IMG_7692.JPG (4.11 MiB) Viewed 3597 times
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Re: Rear Coils wanted

Post by mvcoller »

Contact General Spring Works in Driehoek in Germiston. They have done 3 Patrols' suspensions as well as my Terrano's for me. They both raised them and also fitted thicker coils for me. On the 85 Safari/Patrol they did front and rear leafs and fitted longer shackles front and rear as well.

Their prices are excellent, and they are fast. Take it in in the morning and you have it back that afternoon.

The best part of their service is that if you are not happy with your springs, they will redo it at no cost. They raised my Terrano rear by 50mm and put in springs that the wire was 1mm thicker. 6 months later with the trailer hitched for time, on a trip to Gariep Dam, they still bottomed out. They replaced them for me with coils 2mm thicker than original. They also made sure the unladen ride was not too harsh.

After another 3 months, on a trip through Angola with a heavy load, the same problem was back, bottoming out on the road, when encountering dips in the road, but a lot less than before. This time they put in coils with 2.5mm thicker wire and after that bottoming out was never a problem.

My current Y61 was lifted 65mm by them 2 years ago and I am happy with it. This time however, I also fitted Firestone Air Spring Airbags to level the vehicle out when heavily loaded.
TijmenvdS
Full Name: Tijmen van der Steenhoven
Nickname: Tijmen
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1997 Patrol TD42 GQ ST
Chevrolet 1974 K10 402 V8
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Rear Coils wanted

Post by TijmenvdS »

Thank you, will contact them :salute:

Return to “43. General Items/Services Wanted”