Full Name: Serv Venter
Nickname: servas
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan X Trail (Softy)
Home Language: Afrikaans

3.0 TD 2004

Post by servas »

good day all,

i'm in the market for my first Patrol. There is a 2004 3.0 TD for sale on autotrader (see link) and was wondering if anyone knows this vehicle or would be able to comment on the do's and don'ts when looking at a 2hand Patrol, I'm planning to have a look at this one. If there are any other Patrols in this price range of about R225K range please help out.

Link:
http://search.autotrader.co.za/www/cars ... 1186400468

regards,
Serv
Tjaart
Full Name: Tjaart Janse van Rensburg
Nickname: TJ
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Patrol 4500 GRX

Re: 3.0 TD 2004

Post by Tjaart »

Servas

That is good car at a good price. It is very scarce to get one of those. Have a look at the mudguards, the under side as well. Look for scratches, dents, bumps, the diffs and fuel tank protector. Have a look at the rear bumper, underneath the indicators. It is the first place to get damaged when going up steep inclines and departures. Look at the engine compartment and look for damage/wear to bonnet insulator/cover. This will also indicate water driving, because the viscus fan will spray the water onto the cover and stain or wear it out. Check viscus fan for cracks or damage. Check brake discs for wear or grooves, which MIGHT indicate mud or sand driving. Mine has both a damaged bonnet cover and grooved discs.. :redface: , but I'm not scared to take The Brave swimming :blonde: !!
Water Crossing.JPG
Water Crossing.JPG (114.71 KiB) Viewed 3190 times

And then take it for Drive!!! :salute: , and let us know!!!
THE BRAVE
says
Aut PATROL aut nihil

Aut vincere aut mori
servas
Full Name: Serv Venter
Nickname: servas
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan X Trail (Softy)

Post by servas »

okay went and had a look and drive of the vehicle.

it has 180000km on the clock which to me is a bit hefty for a vehicle that is only 5/6 years old :thumbdown: . (that equates to +-35000km/year). the underbody, fender and bumper are clean (enough) of scratches/bruises but the underbody seems to have been covered in a black paint (not rubberrised), didn't notice any oil sweat anywhere specifically looking at the diffs but did not crawl underneath to inspect up close. the enjin bay is in a good condition although some wear is visible on the bonnet insulator. the truck has got very uneven tire wear front to back which indicates to me that it has been used in 2wd most of the time.

this is the GRX model so it has all the bells and whistles (which I don't really care for) and everything is working inside the truck. the truck has some obvious heavy usage signs like the gear knob and steering wheel leather being wiped off almost completely.

the truck idles and drives quiet as a mouse (diesel mouse). no funny noises on the full-lock turning and the 2wd, 4wdH, 4wdL all engage easily. wanted to have a look at the service history but the booklet was in such a bad state that all the pages fell out. asked the dealer if he can get me the previous owners details and i took down the VIN and enjin numbers to have a chat to Nissan as well.

so the thing that bothers me is the high mileage on the 3.0 TD motor and from previous posts it seems clear that this motor needs lots of care from the start (ETG monitors etc) to have it last a long time, none of which is evident at this stage on this vehicle. there is lots of interest in the truck as a guy was waiting for me to finish looking so he can take it for a drive. :lol:

regards,
Serv
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Servas,

Ja - buying second hand is always a doubtful aspect - you never know what you are getting and what use the vehicle has been put to. It will be an absolute bonus if you could track down the previous owner - because the car is being sold by a dealer I am sure the previous owner will be honest with you with regards to what use the vehicle has been put to and why he sold it.

Yes the mileage is high for the year model - but maybe it was the owner's only means of transport - and then to do 30 to 35 000 km a year is not extravagant. If the vehicle was maintained well it will not be too late to even start with the preventative monitors (like egt, boost etc) now. And very important - the 3.0TD motor pre 2002 was known as the hand grenade model - Nissan has made and done major improvements on the 3.0TD enjin post 2002.

Anycase - these cars are a rare find and not often come along (especially the diesel ones) - so yes if you are serious about getting a Patrol I will not let it hang to long - it might be gone tomorrow!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!!
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
ClemSlabbert

Post by ClemSlabbert »

Hi guys,what kind of fuel consumption can one expect from this model Patrol. If I had to make a change from the 2.8 Paj Blisterfender,would the performance and cruising power be better .I get 8.2km/L now and the Pajero is not lazy at all.Eish-my hart trek n punt na die een,en die kleur is reg :thumbup:
Tjaart
Full Name: Tjaart Janse van Rensburg
Nickname: TJ
Current 4x4: Patrol 4500 GRX

Post by Tjaart »

Vat hom Clem!!

Jy sal nie spyt wees nie. Jy sal seker so 6-7km/l kry,maar wag dat die Diesel damp manne jou presies se. Al wat ek se is: VAT DIE PATROL!!!!! :oldtimer: Jy sal nie spyt wees nie!!
THE BRAVE
says
Aut PATROL aut nihil

Aut vincere aut mori
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Post by JG Shields »

Ek het op my 3.0Di GRX 7,4km/l gekry. Dis 'n langtermyn gemiddeld tussen stad- en langpad ry.
Patrol fan!

Return to “37. Vehicles Wanted”