Full Name: Riaan Greyvensteyn
Nickname: Riaan
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Hilux 2.4 Ltd Ed
Home Language: Afrikaans

Patrol 4800 GL 2005 model

Post by Rooin »

Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a 4x4 SUV and am currently looking at a Patrol 4800, 2005 model with just under 90 000km's on the clock. I currently drive a 98 SFA Hilux but the leaf spring are getting too much for me. Hence the need for an upgrade :-)

What would be a good price to pay for this vehicle. Looks in fairly good condition, only things I don't like are some bubbles on the dash (read about this on the forum) and a rather nasty stone dent on the bonnet. Then there is a bit of a vibration on the gearlever while driving, is this normal? On my Lux there is a LOT of vibration, but should there be on the Patrol.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Riaan
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Re: Patrol 4800 GL 2005 model

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Hi Rooin,

I cant help you re your 4.8 queries as i only have the 4.2, but i saw none of the 4.8 experts have had a chance to respond to your question yet and didn't want you sitting there "Nigel-no-friends".

Im sure you'll get your answer in good time.

Cheers mate
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Saltman
Full Name: Herbie Hellstrom
Nickname: Saltman
Home Town: Durbanville, Western Cape
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery Series 3 TDV6 Auto
Land Rover Discovery Series 1 Tdi.
Land Rover Discovery Series II Td5
Home Language: Afrikaans / English / German

Post by Saltman »

Hi Riaan
Vibration on the gearlever is definitely abnormal.
Even with a displacmnet of 4.8 litres, that engine and transmission should be smoother than a Singer sowing machine.
That six cylinder is well balanced and smooth.

Do you only experience the vibration when the vehicle is driven - could be universal joints, propshaft etc
or
if you encounter the vibration when standing still in neutral, then check for engine and gearbox mountings, and tell tale oil leaks which could indicate an imbalance somewhere - boih on engine and attachments ( crank pulley , power steering etc etc) as well as on the transmission. Remember this is not a Land Rover and therefore should not have any oil leaks

Hoop jy kom reg
Herbie
Saltman:
One foot in Land Rover land and one foot in Patrol land and the sensitive bits are hanging in the salty sea in between!
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

Hi Riaan

Looking at the Autotrader ( http://search.autotrader.co.za/www/cars ... 7186694850 ) they are advertizing a 2005 3L GL diesel with 173k km for R230k and a 2004 GRX for R250k so I would think in the region of R220-R260k would be reasonable as the GRX's with lower km's go closer to R300k. Make sure you deduct the cost of repairs from your offer.

I have nearly no vibration coming from my 4.8 as it is well balanced & damped. Can't think the difference between auto and manual will play a role. :think: I agree with Saltman - check all the engine & gearbox mountings.
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Post by JG Shields »

Riaan,

The 4.8 GL is a bullet proof military tank. Whatever the cause of the vibration can surely be sorted by the seller. It should not be a serious problem. My auto has no vibration.

Price: What is the value of a tank?
Patrol fan!

Return to “37. Vehicles Wanted”