Nickname: Tej
Home Town: durban
Current 4x4: 95 Patrol SGL 4.2D,
02 Hardbody 3L TD
Home Language: english

Re: '95 GQ 4.2D Silvertop

Post by DMH »

Hi All

Decided to retract the sale. Been driving her a lot over the last two weeks and really enjoying it - purrs like a tiger and loads of character. And it would be sacrilege to part ways before I take her on a proper overlanding trip or a trip with the club.

Looking to pimp her up with bigger tyres - so if anyone has a set of 32's or 33's at a good price, please let me know!
DMH
Full Name: Tejan Pillay
02 Hardbody 3L TD

Post by DMH »

Grant wrote:Book value on these are around R 40K to R 50 K. No real value on extra's
That would be book value on the petrols Grant - as the 4.2D's weren't made here, they're not listed. Considering how rare the 4.2D's are, and how much better the fuel economy is, they deserve a significant premium on book.

Furthermore, book value is just an indicator - many 4x4's fetch far more based on desirability, rarity, condition, etc.
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Post by David M »

DMH wrote:
Grant wrote:Book value on these are around R 40K to R 50 K. No real value on extra's
That would be book value on the petrols Grant - as the 4.2D's weren't made here, they're not listed. Considering how rare the 4.2D's are, and how much better the fuel economy is, they deserve a significant premium on book.

Furthermore, book value is just an indicator - many 4x4's fetch far more based on desirability, rarity, condition, etc.
Tej - We do not buy these vehicles to resell. You may get a bit more than the book but they are really not worth selling especially if you have invested time and money.

I know I can not get half of what I have invested in my 4.5 but have no intention of ever selling it and it's the only thing my kids are arguing about in my will. Who gets the 4.5?

You probably find that the older ones are owned longer than the average marriage lasts :rolling: :rolling:
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
DMH
Full Name: Tejan Pillay
02 Hardbody 3L TD

Re: '95 GQ 4.2D Silvertop - SALE RETRACTED

Post by DMH »

Haha indeed David.
Rudolph
Full Name: Rudolph van Deventer
Nickname: Rudolph
Home Town: Port Alfred
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0Di GL (TD42Ti)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: '95 GQ 4.2D Silvertop - SALE RETRACTED

Post by Rudolph »

That is indeed the right thing to do! Get some 32" tires on that will work just fine. Enjoy the beast!!
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Alex Roux »

David M wrote:I know I can not get half of what I have invested in my 4.5 but have no intention of ever selling it and it's the only thing my kids are arguing about in my will. Who gets the 4.5?
I think I can now safely assume that I will not be able to sell my car for as much as I have spent on it, let alone the car itself!

As for diesels, the old GQs seem to be more sought after than the Petrol models. Partly because they are more rare, and partly I suspect the old 4.2 diesels keep on running, while the older 4.2 petrol engines seem to start developing heating problems with age. But I also do not think the difference would be that significant.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa

Return to “36. Vehicles For Sale/Swap”