Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: 4.2 Diesel GRX

Post by Clem »

What worries me is the fact that that diesel engine has already been opened and worked on by someone. God alone knows whether they actually knew what they were doing.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Clem, I agree 100%. However the TD42 motor is such a basic motor that it would be difficult to mess it up, hence my earlier comment "... after having opened the motor and looked at the pistons, sleeves and rings. (SLEEVE PROTRUSION BEING THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO CHECK)"

If the head was cracked and/or damaged it would be easy to check.... take the car before buying it with the owner to a Silvertons and let them do a test while the engine is still warm. If the head is good, and with it being a cast iron head and not aluminium one can remove the head without fear of warping etc ( correct loosening sequence followed ). From there almost everything can be checked. The honing marks on the sleeves will be clearly visible, giving a good indication of the rings condition.

Graham would be able to give you a better idea of a realistic labour cost to do this, and if sleeves do need replacing, get sleeves for the TD27 ( they are identical if I'm not mistaken at lower price than for a TD42 ) and new pistons and rings if the pistons need replacing or if you decide to fit Alfin type pistons and rings ( I'm guessing here - total R 7000 for sleeves pistons and rings )

Damn .... I think I'm selling the vehicle to myself .....hahahaha.... If I only had R80k lying around, plus a little extra for a yummy hairdryer....and an EGT gauge !!!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Michael »

Turbo charging a standard 4.2D is a big job and is going to cost alot.
Engineering, new sleeves, new pistons will have to be done (12k - 14k)
Next the diesel pump has to be checked, modified to have an aneroid as well as injectors recon( 6k at least)
Finding a turbo and manifold is probably another 10k
Intercooler, exhaust and plumbing (6k - 8k)
Madman EMS another 4k
Radiator rebuild to 3 core alluminium (8k)
Water pump, thermostat, viscus (3k at least)
This is just mentioning the major stuff and hoping the head isnt cracked and also excludes labour

Its not very hard to spend 50k on a conversion like this if you want to do it properly because you cannot afford to take short cuts.
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

ok....hahaha.... I am a little rusty on the costs, but again, R 85k + R 50k = R135k

In my opinion still not bad for this vehicle.... and then you have a brand new motor ( probably good for 500 000km plus ) on a GRX body ( condition dependent ) that we know is in itself very strong and reliable.

I paid R 145k for mine 5 years ago. Granted I had a lot of extras on, and I still had to rebuild my motor from scratch... so I've spent R180k on mine....... worth EVERY cent !!
Regards
Cedric
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

And when it is all done, what is the real advantage over the 4.8? I mean that as a serious question, not as a sarcastic rhetorical question.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Clem wrote:And when it is all done, what is the real advantage over the 4.8? I mean that as a serious question, not as a sarcastic rhetorical question.
Only a TD42 owner would understand.. :rolling:
On a more serious note, the 4.8's fuel consumption scares me a bit...

Here is a 4.8 at a low price: http://www.olx.co.za/ad/nissan-patrol-2 ... UfHE6.html
Might be a better (value for money) buy?
(not sure if it is still available though).
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Fanus

If you are looking for a 4.2TD, '98 model, GL
A friend of mine has had his on the market for a while now, but not desperate to sell.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Clem wrote:And when it is all done, what is the real advantage over the 4.8? I mean that as a serious question, not as a sarcastic rhetorical question.
Yes this is a valid point, only real advantage will be fuel consumption and it will maybe be worth slightly more compared to similar year model 4.8.
So yes the question will be if you are willing to spend that much just to have a 4.2TD, for 140k you can buy a really nice 4.8

I am a diesel man, so even if I could get a 4.8 for a bargain I would still prefer the 4.2 diesel, so for me it’s about personal preference and money of course.
I must also say add that my Patrol was bought for almost nothing and is standing on about R90,000 as it is with all accessories and the engine rebuild.
Would I buy a Patrol 4.2TD for R140k insted of a 4.8......? I think so!
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Clem, being serious, what SJC said (Only a TD42 owner would understand..) is also a somewhat serious point. The 2 vehicles are so different that it is like oil and water. The petrol motor ( and I can only speak from a 3.0 V6 Sani ) is an amazing machine. The sound is incredible, the power delivery and the rev range is exhilarating. There is a "manly" sense of brute power that even for a mild temperament guy is like a drug. Soft sand driving is a breeze as is basically all other types of driving conditions.

You know your driving style, now with a diesel its totally different. Yes speed between a 4.8 and a 4.2 diesel is different, although saying that I have sometimes pushed mine to just under the 170Km/h mark.( I know ....hard to believe :lol: ) and it takes a little longer to get there than a 4.8 would. Overtaking is a more planned event. The 4.2 gearbox is a brute, but if you are doing 70Km/h ( revs at +/- 1300rpm ) in 4th and you want to accelerate quickly slapping it into 3rd is going to push the revs up into +/- 3100rpm. Besides the motor ( bear in mind its an old school design motor ) sounding like it wants to climb out the body due to the fact that you are about to reach MAX revs, you only have about 500 revs to play with and the power curve is going to get less as the revs climb ( peak torque and Kw is at around 2800 - 3000 depending to fueling/turbo setup ). Keeping it in 4th gear will get going but takes a little time as the turbo starts spooling up.

Speaking of spooling up of the turbo..... you thought a 6 cylinder petrol motor sounds beautiful.... A slight turbo whistle when idling, and a turbo air dump out the exhaust on gear changes can give a man some tingling sensations in some delicate areas.....hahahaha. You feel like a kid racer in a 3 ton chunk of iron .....hahaha.

Driving style in a diesel is very different to a petrol, one is a lot more aware of the gauges ( especially EGT gauge ). this for the only reason being that there is a turbo on a motor that never came out standard with a turbo. BUT having said that, I believe that even a factory designed turbo diesel vehicle of ANY manufacturer should have some sort of an EGT gauge fitted. Its like having toilet paper in a bathroom ( excuse the analogy ).

Fuel consumption....hmmm... that depends on how you drive it. 4.2 diesel will be better if you drive nicely. Push it between 130 and 140 and you will use 15 - 16L/100km ( tyre/roofrack/suspension etc etc dependent ). At 120km/h mellow driving 14L/100Km is achievable. The 4.8 on the open road is probably marginally heavier. I do a LOT of town stop start driving and is my daily drive and I average 17-18L/100Km. Here I think the 4.8 would be at its second worst consumption, with soft sand driving being its worst. Here the diesel can save a little dignity on the soft sand. Obviously excluding dune charging, but more general, for example the amazing road from Kozi Bay Border Post to Ponta do Ouro, my diesel will get better fuel consumption. In fact on the river trip that we went on a few months back, I was astounded on how well the diesel did on fuel consumption, and I was in 4x4 low for a lot of the time and should have deflated my tyres a lot more than what I did.

Services... well due to the old school technology the 4.2 diesel has to get an oil change every 5000km. This is a cheap service and is really not a difficult thing to do ones self. Petrol services are ( I stand corrected here.....) 10 000Km??

4.2 diesel motors can really run on just about anything. Probably even a jug of paraffin and a bottle of 2 stroke. Naturally not the best thing to run the motor on, but in a pinch a plan can be made.

Electronics?.... in the 4.2 diesel... what electronics? ( again bear in mind I'm talking about the standard GL, which was the only version the GU 4.2 diesel came out as )The most advanced thing is probably the digital odometer. There is no computer, no ECU, no buggerall. There is basically a wire to the starter motor and a wire to the diesel pump to open a solinoid to allow diesel to flow. That's it !! Yes there are electric windows etc, but nothing that can leave you stranded in the bush. When I burnt a hole through my No 2 piston just after buying my Patrol I still drove it back home ( 550Km ) from Botswana to Alberton. Yes I used a lot of oil and it smoked like Mount Vesuvius on eruption day, but I drove home......

So summing up... they are two completely different beasts, and both should be respected for what they are and can achieve. To judge them against each other is almost a little unfair to both vehicles due to them being so different. One will out perform the other in certain aspects and visa versa. But both are incredible examples of comfortable overlanding 4x4 vehicles.
Regards
Cedric
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Alex Roux wrote:Fanus

If you are looking for a 4.2TD, '98 model, GL
A friend of mine has had his on the market for a while now, but not desperate to sell.
I am not too desperate to buy, so we might just be a good match. :lol: :thumbup:

Is this the same Patrol that you have mentioned on another thread before? (sorry cant find it now).
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE

Return to “36. Vehicles For Sale/Swap”