Full Name: Jody Dunn-Stuart
Nickname: Jody
Home Town: Durban
Current 4x4: 2010 Range Rover Sport Luxury
Home Language: English

Re: New member looking for 1st patrol

Post by PatrolNewbie »

Hey guys 👋

Sorry to hop on this post, I thought it made more sense than starting a new thread for the same topic 😂

I’m new to the forum and have been looking at a decent 4x4 - I’ve been quite torn between the 2005 LC 100 and was almost convinced that was the way to go until a Patrol on FB caught my eye and I’ve become a bit obsessed with them since. The one I’ve seen is a white 2005 new spec model 4.8 petrol. It has a sunroof so I’m guessing is the GRX? Has about 250,000km on the clock with a full service history - apparently all but 2 services done by franchise. I’m not fussed about fuel economy I’ve had big engine cars before.

I don’t do too much off reading at the moment but it’s something I want to do more of for sure. The most action mine will probably see though is Sani Pass (I live in KZN); the Transkei trails and Mozambique although I’m keen to do a road trip to Botswana in the next year or 2 as well. I’ve done a bit of research and the 2 things that stuck out for me so far as concerns from reviews I’ve read are that the back tyres tend to slide out in wet conditions - this is a concern because it rains a lot in my part of KZN and I want to feel safe in the car I’m driving. Currently have a 2010 Range Rover Sport and that’s a machine in all weather so I wanted to replicate that confidence. And 2ndly apparently the Patrol feels every bump in the road on tar but is super comfy off road. I KZN tar roads in my neck of the woods are pothole city so that might annoy me after a while but if the reviewer was just being dramatic then it might not be as bad as it sounds. What are the thoughts on these 2 concerns?

I haven’t had a chance to see the car yet due to lockdown but it looks to be in awesome condition from all the photos I’ve seen of the engine and interior etc. I will get an AA inspector to give it the once over unless there’s someone more suitable in the Durban area to check it out for me before I sign on the dotted line? Price tag is 145k and that’s a figure I’m happy with especially when compared to the LC’s in that bracket. Any tips on what to look out for and find out before I buy it would be appreciated 👍🏼
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Welcome Jody
That's the first I've ever heard of a Patrol oversteering on wet roads. In my experience, they need serious provocation to do that.
Having said that, the Patrol is a part-time 4x4, so it requires a slightly different driving style on the edge. Unlike a full-time 4x4 such as you are used to, being heavy-handed with the throttle in corners can cause it to oversteer.

As for being bumpy on lumpy tar road, yes, that is true. It's "a thing" with live-axle cars. The ratio of sprung mass to un-sprung mass is the cause. It may be worse on the Patrol than some others because the Patrol's axles are huge and beefy compared to most others.

However, it's not a problem with potholes. Those are almost un-noticeable. It is an issue on badly-made roads more than anything else.

Do not expect any live-axle 4x4 to feel like your Rover. It will feel more like a truck. Slightly vague, slightly ponderous, perhaps slightly wallowy, but on the other hand robust and unstoppable. Some like it, some hate it. The Rover sport is a road car which can go off-road. The Patrol is an off-roader that has been tamed slightly. Do test-drive before you decide.

As for stuff to look for, as with any car, check for signs that it has been run without anti-freeze, and if possible check the gearbox oil's condition (as on many autos, a gearbox dip-stick is not a standard fitment). Check that it changes smoothly. Then take it om some grass, and make sure all the 4x4 bits work properly. Especially the diff lock. The solenoid tends to become sticky if not used, and if it's abused without being properly engaged, it is easy to damage the mechanism in the diff.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Yip.... Exactly what Peter said !!
Ok mine is the 4.2 diesel with a turbo, and giving it a good solid throttle input on a corner in the wet will slowly get the back stepping out, especially when the turbo kicks well in, however it is VERY easy to control. I doubt it will feel any different in any other live axle vehicle.... if the cruiser has enough power to even do the....hahaha.... just kidding
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
PatrolNewbie
Full Name: Jody Dunn-Stuart
Nickname: Jody
Home Town: Durban
Current 4x4: 2010 Range Rover Sport Luxury

Post by PatrolNewbie »

Peter Connan wrote: 04 May 2020 11:39 Welcome Jody
That's the first I've ever heard of a Patrol oversteering on wet roads. In my experience, they need serious provocation to do that.
Having said that, the Patrol is a part-time 4x4, so it requires a slightly different driving style on the edge. Unlike a full-time 4x4 such as you are used to, being heavy-handed with the throttle in corners can cause it to oversteer.

As for being bumpy on lumpy tar road, yes, that is true. It's "a thing" with live-axle cars. The ratio of sprung mass to un-sprung mass is the cause. It may be worse on the Patrol than some others because the Patrol's axles are huge and beefy compared to most others.

However, it's not a problem with potholes. Those are almost un-noticeable. It is an issue on badly-made roads more than anything else.

Do not expect any live-axle 4x4 to feel like your Rover. It will feel more like a truck. Slightly vague, slightly ponderous, perhaps slightly wallowy, but on the other hand robust and unstoppable. Some like it, some hate it. The Rover sport is a road car which can go off-road. The Patrol is an off-roader that has been tamed slightly. Do test-drive before you decide.

As for stuff to look for, as with any car, check for signs that it has been run without anti-freeze, and if possible check the gearbox oil's condition (as on many autos, a gearbox dip-stick is not a standard fitment). Check that it changes smoothly. Then take it om some grass, and make sure all the 4x4 bits work properly. Especially the diff lock. The solenoid tends to become sticky if not used, and if it's abused without being properly engaged, it is easy to damage the mechanism in the diff.

Thanks Peter for the reply.
I will definitely do a test drive beforehand, hopefully lockdown allows. The car is about 1.5hours away from me but I see cars are allowed to be bought and sold so I’ll try my luck with getting down to Durbs this week. Those bits that you mentioned to keep an eye out for would the AA inspector do that as part of his checks anyway or should I specifically ask him to check those points?
As for the review about the car sliding out, I battled to find info on SA sites about specific reviews so the 2/3 that I read that mentioned that point were on Australian car review sites but I assumed they were still valid. I’m quite a good driver though and don’t abuse my cars so especially in wet conditions would drive carefully, I just wanted to clarify if it was an actual problem or an exaggerated one by the reviewer I guess.
The more I look into the Patrol the more I want it. I like the box styling and it looks bullet proof which I like as well.
With the part time 4x4, is this a case of flipping a switch inside the car for it to change over or is it old school where you have to get out the car and fiddle with wheels?

Return to “28. Introduce Yourself”