Sand Crawling to get unstuck

Driving, recovery & more
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David vd Merwe
Nickname: David - Hillbilly
Home Town: West Coast
Current 4x4: 1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani Mk3 4x4 SFA (SAFANI)
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Sand Crawling to get unstuck

Post by davidvdm »

There has been a discussion on use of low range on another forum, and in the off topic 90% of that discussion, the Toyota Crawl control recovery method came up to get yourself unstuck in soft sand. I had at virtually the same time seen a case or two where I seem to do very well at crawl speed, to pull guys out of stuck situations. There are a few youtube videos on the crawl control function of these vehicles, but my question was/is, can you get the same result with just dumb LR without traction control and/or diff locks. The best video is this one. Vehicle is an auto, and diff lock engaged.

So I had to try it out with an 24 year old Nissan with 40 year old drivetrain. Three out of three stuck situations I have had success at crawling out. Yes, I am running stupid tyre pressures, and with enough momentum, all these cases could have been avoided in the first place, and I could actually revers out of two of them, but bogged back down as soon as I attempted it again. Today I went out to a spot where yesterday a LC DC got stuck twice on the way out, and eventually got through with so much momentum that stuff flew off the load bin. And that was on 32" Cooper MT's.

The Sani went out this morning with tyre pressure at 1.8bar. They are HT tyres, so not much grip in the first place, but they also don't go digging super amounts of sand out from under the wheels. attempted the little hill in HR1st, and got bogged down. The little 2.7 diesel can hardly turn the wheels. LR1st, got a bit further, dug in, and on the second attempt trying to pull off in the deep sand, I could smell the clutch. So where I was, I hit LR on the second TC, 1st gear, pulled a bit of hand throttle, and with the revs out around 1000RPM, dropped the clutch, jumped out, and took this video.

Now I understand that you normal LR might be too fast, but could be worth a try if you have the power, or with an auto box, you could achieve a crawler wheel speed by playing a bit. But as you can see, if you are willing to spend the time, it can work. Definitely a technique to keep in mind, and which I will be using in future.
David - Bfreesani
1997 Nissan Sani MK3 2.7TD - Hillbilly (SAFANI)
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
MQ Transfer as second low range
5" Lift
33"x12.5x15" tires on 8.5J rims - Want 35's
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Sand Crawling to get unstuck

Post by Peter Connan »

Seen a bog-standard Y61 bakkie with NA TD42 do it once. Dug it in right to the chassis, and it just crawled out.

That was river sand though, not Kalabari dune sand.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “26. Techniques”