Full Name: Johann van der Spuy
Nickname: Johann 1984
Home Town: Kimberley
Current 4x4: 2013 Nissan Patrol 3.0 Tdi
Home Language: Afrikaans

Kungwini 4x4 in standard Patrol

Post by Johann 1984 »

Hi Gentlemen,

A honest question: I have been invited by some blokes to patrake in driving the Kungwini 4x4 trail. I have been dying to really test the troll, so I'm keen to go. I do, however, have reservations about aimlessly damaging a vehicle without need. So, my question to the big guys are: can this course be driven in a standard vehicle (run-boards removed) without sustaining injury to the vehicle? This is my second 4x4 vehicle and I have driven most courses prior. I have never driven kungwini before, however.

Thanks
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Re: Kungwini 4x4 in standard Patrol

Post by Alex Roux »

I have been to Kungwini once before. Will go again this year.
It is really not a terror trail by any stretch of the imagination.
I would not hesitate to take a standard Patrol there.

There are rocky areas outside the main training track that may damage your vehicle, but you can decide what you want to do, when you are there, before you do it.

I would not personally take off the running boards. They may not give you the protection of that rock sliders would, but damage to the side of the underbelly can be unrepearable. So I would much rather replace the running boards if damage was to occur.
Last edited by Alex Roux on 15 Feb 2015 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Pieter B
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Botha
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by Pieter B »

Remember to take recovery gear with. Your friends might need you to recover them when they get stuck. :lol: :lol:
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Jip that trail is ok for a standard patrol in 2h ...lol not very challenging at all nice sand areas but i will rate it 2 out of 5
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

KUNGWINI had some serious rain damage a while back -- Thabies Louw and I represented the NISSAN club with some Landrammel drivers to go and fix the Extreme section .. Opsticles 3 to 8 were damaged most -- but we made them all drivable ..
Go and ENJOY Kungwini -- we aim to have some of the 4x4 4 Kids events there this year ..
IMG_9277.JPG
IMG_9277.JPG (3.51 MiB) Viewed 3476 times
IMG_9281.JPG
IMG_9281.JPG (545.67 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
IMG_9283.JPG
IMG_9283.JPG (445.04 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
IMG_9309.JPG
IMG_9309.JPG (3.88 MiB) Viewed 3476 times
IMG_9320.JPG
IMG_9320.JPG (4.66 MiB) Viewed 3476 times
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Johann 1984
Full Name: Johann van der Spuy
Nickname: Johann 1984
Home Town: Kimberley
Current 4x4: 2013 Nissan Patrol 3.0 Tdi

Post by Johann 1984 »

Hey All,
Kungwini done. Did all 3 courses. We were 3 vehicles. A 3.0 D-4D Hilux, 4.2 76 LC and me. I drove all the sections and all 3 courses at Kungwini except the very last obstacle on the advanced course. The Cruiser 76 tried to go throug both lockers on but repeatedly slipped into the gutter-erosion to the drivers-side. Sustained some serious damage including the rear-wheelarch as well as rear bumper. I eventually had to pull him out with my winch. No for the evaluation of the vehicle. My previous vehicle was a Hardbody YD25 with a LSD, no locker. It had poor traction and was a very average 4x4 that required lots of momentum to get over axle twisters and slippery slopes. Today was the first time I did a 4x4 track per sé in the Troll. As crap and slow as the ZD30 engine is on tar (in the name of lesser thirst), so good it is in 4L with enormous power and torque. I was absolutely amazed at how easily it idled over the incline axle-twisters on the advanced course. Bearing in mind that the vehicle has standard suspension and highway tekkies, it outshined the 4.2 who had to rev up the engine to pass over the obstacles both lockers engaged. In my own and honest opinion, after driving both, the patrol has the upperhand ito of capabilities. The ZD 30 has great low down torque and the suspension is super flexible, enabling me to reach down thise deep holes of loose gravel at low speeds without spinning the hell out of everything. This morning I was mockingly called 'Team Nissan' and 'Glorified X-Trail'. As the day progressed, the insults quickly dissapeared. So, all in all: besides the enormous body (that struggle to fit always), I don't think there are many rivals.
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Johan

I know this relates to another thread but also related to this:

When I first got my Trol one of the first items on my wish list were front lockers.
Got lots of extras since then, but in five years I still do not have my front lockers.

Although I still want them, I realised over time that it is only the really very extreme stuff that will require front lockers on a Trol.
In many instances, where a Cruiser or Fortuner would need it, the Trol does not.
At our last club visit to Moegatle, there were two obstacles that I could not do and should have been able to do with front lockers. The only vehicle that could, was another Trol that did have front lockers (Thabbies).
So I have to ask myself the question, is it really worth the money, for two or three more obstacles at the more extreme trails....
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Nice one....that 76 has about the same amounts of flex than a rail road track hence the need for 2 lockers to move from a to b :lol:
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

Johan,

Leke man :thumbup: the ZD30 is truly awsome off Road. When I get frustrated on the highways sometimes I imidiatly remind myself of its awsomeness off road. And thats enough to ease my mood. I didn't buy it for its highway prones. I dont know if you experienced the same, but mine can't drive smoothly with throttle control in 1st and 2nd gear in low range. The torque is just to much. It jurks like you cant beleave. I can only drive it smoothly in 3rd low range. But for 90% of the time I find 1st gear high range enough. And I have never needed the diff lock thus far. There is just always traction. Mine is std with 33" muds.

I've had mtshubishi's, another nissan and a toyota and they can't be compared. I guess you could say that you get 4x4's and Patrols. Or dare I make another classification and say Diesel Patrols. :lol:
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

Oom Mac, as jy da was met n patrol met 33" op kon jy daai laaste een opi foto af gegaan het. Ai spyt kom altyd te laat ne :lol:
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua

Return to “25. Trip/Route Queries”