Booking required in all parks?

Get the information about routes, trips or just get plain inspiration
stobi_de
Full Name: Frank Stober
Nickname: stobi_de
Home Town: 51647 Gummersbach - Germany
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GR2 /Y61 (TBE45) from 1999, short Nissan Patrol GR1 (2.8 TD) from 1992, Volvo XC60 AWD
Home Language: German

Booking required in all parks?

Post by stobi_de »

Hello,
as I mentioned before, I traveled in east africa for 10 years.
In Kenia and Tansania it is not necessary to book a stay in a Nationalpark, - no wonder, the prices are incredible high (park entrance 90 US$, campsite inside park 50 US$ for really nothing) and private drivers are rare and unpopular.
It is a very nice way to travel: you can stay as long as you want (or have money). No planning is necessary.

Do I have to book and pay everything in advance in your country?
Not possible to make a short not planned stop over in the KTP?

Greetings
Frank from Cologne
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Booking required in all parks?

Post by Peter Connan »

Frank, in virtually all our parks it is possibly to stay without bookings, if there is space available.

However, availibility may often be a problem, particularly if you want to stay in a particular camp, and also in busy periods (like local school holidays). So it may not always be advisable to just pitch up.

This will of course depend on the particular park too, some are far more popular than others. And the KTP is one of the worst. Do not expect to find space during SA school holidays, and if you want to stay in one of the famous "wilderness camps", the bookings open 11 months before and they are often fully booked within a day or so.

However, if you are prepared to stay in any of the camps, and are travelling outside of school holidays, there is a possibility.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “25. Trip/Route Queries”