Full Name: Gert van Rooyen
Nickname: Gert
Home Town: Perth
Current 4x4: 2006 Pathfinder STL 4.0 V6
Home Language: Afrikaans

Margaret River - Easter Weekend

Post by Aussieboertjie »

Margaret River – Easter weekend 2009 by Gert v Rooyen

Well we’ve been in Australia for 3 months and decided it’s time to venture down South from Perth here where we stay. We chose the most popular destination that’s within easy reach from here for a weekend trip which is the Margaret river wine region.
This area is well known for its white wines (apparently red as well, but not even nearly as good as Stellenbosch wines) Karri Forests (a type of indigenous tree) and great surfing destinations.

We departed early on Friday morning down towards Bunbury taking the scenic route all along the coast line.

Our first stop was at Busselton for breakfast. A coffee flask and some sarmis – but Hilde refused to make blou eiers and boerewors!!

Busselton has the longest wooden jetty in the Southern hemisphere. It stretches almost 2km into the sea and was built in 1853 for boats to offload their cargo, because the waters were too shallow.

From there we stopped at the world famous (apparently, maar wat weet ‘n boertjie nou?) surf spots of which the most impressive was Privelly beach. Here we witnessed a surfer snap his board in half when he came off a big wave.

We experienced firsthand some of Australia’s great marketing skills when we checked into the guest farm we booked - the website was much more flattering than the real thing, to say the least!!. Well we made the most of it – at least it was close to a beer brewery and all the wineries in the area! The kids loved it because they got to feed the animals every morning. Even Hilde got to wrestle with a hungry Scottish Highland cow!!

Anyway we weren’t here to feed chooks the whole weekend so we hit the road and frequented as many wineries as we could and also made a pit stop at the Margaret river chocolate factory. As I mentioned earlier the white wines in this area is very good. The red wines are also good, but contain a lot of tannin, so it needs to be matured. So it’s nice to collect these and keep them for a couple of years, but we don’t have the patience for that, so we stopped at the local bottle store and got some bottles form the Barossa valley in South Australia that’s good to go!!

The next day we took a drive down to Augusta. We decided to go off-road and take a route through the Karri forest while visiting some of the Caves on-route. I’ve never seen trees this tall. They must’ve been very old.

By now I was starting to get itchy, because I was hitting the rougher bush tracks and I’ve had this 4x4 for far too long and have not used it yet. As we edged deeper into the forest I became more and more like a child. I was finally in a place where I could get lost for days... I only have a City GPS so far and the little Tom Tom was starting to get terribly confused. I didn’t quite know where I was, so we just followed the tracks left behind by the previous party.

As you can see the off-road challenge was not much to speak off, but the beauty of this place was really worth the detour. The sheer size of these trees were breathtaking and when you stop for a second all you could hear was birds making a racquet up there some 50metres above our heads. I definitely want to come back to this place again in winter when it’s wet and muddy and a bit more of a challenge. And off-course next time hopefully with some more mates!!
Well we spent our evenings in South African style with a Boerie on the Braai bought form the SA shop here in Perth and some cold beers!! (Just without the fire though...)

Hopefully our next trip will be somewhere in the outback where we can make a descent fire and sleep underneath the stars!!
Pathfinder STL 4.0 V6
weskus_surfer

Re: Margaret River - Easter Weekend

Post by weskus_surfer »

Nice report.

That wave looks good. I was this > < close to spending 2 weeks in Margaret River last year. Alas, I went to Indonesia instead. Next time I'm in Aus it's non-negotiable, I'm going to Margaret River or up North to Coral Bay area.

How populated is MArgaret River area? If I rented a camper van would anyone hassle me for camping on the roadside/beach/wherever?
GQ Patrol, 4.2D
Ian Abrahamson

Post by Ian Abrahamson »

Great report, thanks for sharing..........Cheers>Ian>>>>>>ORA
OFFROAD ADDICT
dedicated to offroad lifestyle

NOTHINGS IMPOSSIBLE, IT JUST COSTS MORE
Aussieboertjie

Post by Aussieboertjie »

No Margaret river is not densly populated. It's a wine farming area - sort of like Paarl and Stellenbosch's back roads but just with lots of Wattle and associated trees and shrubs. To be honest we didn't look for camping spots when we booked the accommodation, but when we drove through the forest we did see a couple of overnight camps (no facilities) where people stayed over and it looked very nice.

But I wouldn't be surpised if there are plenty of camping spots. The Aussies love the outdoors.

If you go further South I know there's some nice strips of beach the guys drive on close to Pemberton and further down towards Walpole, you get the big Karri forests with some nice drives there.

This was our first trip, so we played it safe, but as I get to know the place better I'll discover more places to go to. If you like, closer to the time, I can send you some more helpful links to help plan a trip.

Here's a good one so long - click on treks in the gray box under Western Australia.
http://www.exploroz.com/WA/Default.aspx
Pathfinder STL 4.0 V6
Aussieboertjie

Post by Aussieboertjie »

OH, WestCoast surfer, I forgot to mention, you can hire any type of vehicle here depending on what type of driving you want to do.
Pathfinder STL 4.0 V6
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Hallo Buurman (en Welkom)!

Great report and pics - the pathfinder is due for a few mods ;-)

How about doing an Intro?

http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewforum.php?f=4
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
Aussieboertjie

Post by Aussieboertjie »

Thanks man, net bietjie ingewikkeld om die coding vir foto's reg te kry.

Sal gou die intro doen... lyk my ek doen dinge weer agterstevoor...
Pathfinder STL 4.0 V6
Jacques Dowd

Post by Jacques Dowd »

Aussieboertjie wrote:Image
Kyk daai horing! :blonde:

PS: Lekker om jou hier te sien broe!
Jacques Dowd
'04 105GX 4.5 EFi Cruiser
Aussieboertjie

Post by Aussieboertjie »

:lol: ja en die bees se horings lyk ook nie te sleg nie!!

Lekker om weer te gesels tjomma! Hoe voel die kop na die duine gisteraand? :redface:
Pathfinder STL 4.0 V6
Jacques Dowd

Post by Jacques Dowd »

Aussieboertjie wrote:Hoe voel die kop na die duine gisteraand? :redface:
Nee wat, elke sport het maar sy beserings. WWW

Groete vir die diere.
Jacques Dowd
'04 105GX 4.5 EFi Cruiser

Return to “24. Trip Reports”