Second Battery System

Please tell us about your DIY projects, tips and tricks
Craig Lord
Full Name: Craig Lord
Nickname: Craig
Home Town: Tuli Block
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX Nissan Patrol (sold)
Home Language: English

Second Battery System

Post by Craig Lord »

Hi guys
I've been doing alot of research on second battery systems and I think I would like to try do this project myself, it is the best way to learn about these things after all....

Been staring at the back of the patrol all day thinking of where the best place would be to fit the second battery. There is no space in the engine bay, the 4.8 makes sure of that and the as we all now the back of the patrol is not all that generous with space unless you fold the seats forward. I would like to always have the option of leaving the seats down for friends/family. Once the fridge is in and the battery box is in you have already used alot of space..

Anyway, I was looking at the front of the vehicle and suddenly noticed the empty winch tray in the BZT bar... there is enough space in there to mount 2 batteries if you wanted and I doubt il ever get a winch. That way all I would mount in engine would be the DC/DC charger and in the back of the patrol will only be the switch panel and power points which can be made alot smaller then a whole battery box.
Besides the mission of taking the bull bar off to install the batteries do you guys think they will get shaken to peices in there on the dirt roads ? I dont think the weight will be an issue unless you maybe put 2 batteries in there?

I would put them in a weather proof box to protect them from the elements but my concern is the harsh vibrations. Maybe one could line the box with extra padding... Anyone have some insight into this idea ?

Good or bad ?

Cheers :thumbup:
When in doubt throttle out !

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX

Re: Second Battery System

Post by iandvl »

One thing that would bother me about that set up would be the potential fire and corrosion hazard should you have a serious collision at the front (ie: against the bar).

I think there is a thread somewhere on the forum where someone built a battery tray that fitted underneath the vehicle where there was space next to a chassis member. I will see if I can find it.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Craig Lord

Post by Craig Lord »

Good point Ian, hadn't considered that :think: yes I saw some of the guys on the Aussie forums who mounted them under the tray in a tray bolted to the chassis. Haven't really looked under the vehicle with that idea in mind but il check it out tomorrow...

Other than the risks you mentioned in the event of an accident do you think the battery would survive in there?

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Craig, I am no engineer, so please do not take my answer as 'holy writ'.

However, I think it is probably a far site safer for a bettery than in the front bar. Not only will the vibrations be less extreme most of the time (as it is not on the extreme end of the vehicle - I am sure PC will correct me if I am wrong), but it will also be protected to some extent by the body work in the case of a side impact. Also, less serious weight hanging on the extreme ends of the vehicle.

Thinking broadly, but you probably do not want it on the exhaust side so that it is cooler. And as with all things electrical, make sure it is properly fused.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

For what it is worth, my second battery consists of a NL battery box to the right of the fridge. Takes up some space, but with the drawers and tye roofrack, I manage touring with a family of four. Space is at a premium though...
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Thread mentioned earlier is here: http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5413

Sadly, it seems as if the photos referenced by 'Boats' in his responses were uploaded to photo bucket and are no longer there.

Apparently, drivers side somewhere, near the sub tank.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Craig Lord

Post by Craig Lord »

Thanks for the advice Ian :thumbup: I will have a good look around for other options. Easy to get carried away Haha. I suppose the easiest would be to accept the loss of space for the pure convenience of having the pre-built box inside the cab but if there is another way that's even better. Haha Yes I need to get clued up on all the electrickary, il be sure to run everything by the forum as I go.

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Sorry - a final note about why I would suggest against the front bar. I just first had to go look at my BZT bar to confirm.... :rolling:

If you put a battery or batteries on the winch plate, you are probably also going to block off areas where air runs through the bar (where the fairlead rollers would be, as the air would still run over the winch - as well as the horizontal opening above the winch). This would mean less air on the radiator, and I think you may run the risk of the motor running hotter than it should.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Craig Lord

Post by Craig Lord »

So that thought briefly crossed my mind earlier but I figured I would check in the morning Haha thanks for saving me the time :lol: I've been doing some googling and looking in the other forums and it seems this isn't the first time someone has had this idea...

General consensus is the same as you pointed out. Not a good thing in the event of a crash ect also in some places they wont even road worthy the vehicle or insure it although I dont think that will apply here in Africa Haha il look under the patrol tomorrow and see if there is a plan to mount it under there. Otherwise il just need to re think how to pack the gear so it can accommodate the box inside.

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
Boats
Full Name: Boats
Nickname: Boats
Home Town: Vaal
Current 4x4: 2018 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Boats »

Ahhh .... Photobucket. I still have those photos, will see if I can upload that in some way. That Patrol has been sold, I plan to do the same with my new Patrol.

Return to “21. DIY Projects”