Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Second Battery System

Post by Peter Connan »

Boats, if you mail me your photos I will load them directly to the thread?

I must say, apart from the accident safety issue I quite like the idea of putting the batteries in the winch bar.

I believe the motorsport gel batteries are "safer" in this respect and i am pretty sure they are robust enough too, but of course they are more expensive...

Edit: according to this article:
https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-news/v ... explode%3F
a gel battery would not explode on impact.

100-120AH/s worth of battery should also be considerably lighter than a winch and cable, and I think if you use two smaller batteries there should be little reduction of airflow compared to a winch. As for the vibration, the frequency will probably be the same throughout the chassis, but the amplitude will be greater. But it's the frequency that has the biggest influence. I think it should be OK from that point of view as long as you mount them securely. To put it in other words, I am convinced this would be a less arduous fitment than 90% of off-road trailer battery mountings.

Personally, I don't like the idea of batteries hanging down below the chassis rails, so if I were to put batteries under the car, I would try to use smaller batteries there too.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Craig Lord
Full Name: Craig Lord
Nickname: Craig
Home Town: Tuli Block
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX Nissan Patrol (sold)
Home Language: English

Post by Craig Lord »

Thanks for the input Peter,

Interesting info about the different battery options :thumbup:
Its just wasted space at the moment and it seems like the ideal place to have them although I wish it was easier to put them in and take them out so that they didnt have to live in there constantly during the times I dont need them. I wonder if there is a way to make the winch tray independent of the rest of the bar :think: it would be ideal if you could unbolt it and drop it down without having to remove the whole bar.... not sure if that's even possible, I'm sure it would be something an engineering company would need to look at or maybe even the guys from BZT... but that's a whole nother issue.

I will try do some more research into this but it seems like it will take someone to try it first to see what problems it reveals if any. I'm still keen on the idea. If it doesnt work out I could always remove it and put it somewhere else.

It would be great to see the pictures of the underbody option also.
When in doubt throttle out !

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Craig -- when r u in Gauteng again? come have a look at my set up in iNyathi.
Behind the left rear seat. 105 AH. safely bolted down, easy to reach, out of view. not wasting space [it is part of the drawer / water tank lay out
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by iandvl »

Craig Lord wrote: 09 Feb 2019 18:21 ...
I wish it was easier to put them in and take them out so that they didnt have to live in there constantly during the times I dont need them. I wonder if there is a way to make the winch tray independent of the rest of the bar :think: it would be ideal if you could unbolt it and drop it down without having to remove the whole bar.... not sure if that's even possible, I'm sure it would be something an engineering company would need to look at or maybe even the guys from BZT... but that's a whole nother issue.
I was looking at my BZT bullbar again this morning. I am pretty sure one could cut a section out of the top panel and make a removable 'lid' for the area which would be large enough for batteries when the grill at the front is removed. Removing the grill is a 5 minute job - and a far sight easier than removing the bumper or even the winch plate....

Apart from my earlier concerns (fire and corrosion risk in case of accident, or overheating as a result of restricted airflow), I am not an engineer (as I said earlier :rolling:), so do not know what affect that would have on the structural integrity of the bar, if any.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Craig Lord

Post by Craig Lord »

That's a good observation Ian. Just went to check and I see what you mean about getting in through the top. Presumably if you made it so that the "lid" bolted back into place you would not loose too much strength. Just behind the number plate there is extra support built in for a winch so you cant cut it all the way to the front so I see what you mean about taking off the grill to make more room. Forgive my childlike attempt at illustrating the idea :rolling:
20190210_130549.jpg
Think it's best to go to an engineering works to work out the best plan. Will try put it on the list for when we come back to SA in April. As for the restrictions on airflow :think: I guess the only way to find out is to try it but as Peter mentioned one would think that it shouldnt be too much different than if you have a 12000 pound winch in the same space :think:

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Craig,

Checked it this morning, and that was my idea....

Biggest issue for me, would be airflow. Volume-wise, in terms of the space a winch occupies, the winch will be considerably larger than the average battery. But it will let a lot more air through than the battery will.

But I guess nobody knows if someone does not try it.... :rolling:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Craig Lord

Post by Craig Lord »

Haha I'm happy to be the guinea pig I guess. I will look into what it would mean to cut a section out of the top because it would be awesome to be able to take them out with minimal fuss. If that's not going to work then I suppose the bar will just have to come off to do the job and they would be more permanent.

Also need to find out size battery would be best, One large one or 2 smaller ones. I was thinking that something between 100ah and 120ah would be suitable. Will also need to consider airflow like you say. Maybe 2 smaller separate batteries would be better for this...

Ok well i guess that's semantics. First il try sort out the bar.

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

If it works without heat issues, I will buy you a case of beer. I have used my winch in anger twice. Once to straighten a bent steering arm on an SFA Hilux (truth - I have dashcam footage, albeit only of me stopping next to the stricken vehicle and then my open bonnet), and the other occasion to haul a stuck landrammel out of the Crocodile River - where they should probably not have been in the first place.... If your idea works, I might consider doing away with the winch altogether....
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Craig Lord

Post by Craig Lord »

Awesome, I will post updates as and when things happen. Unfortunately it wont be a quick project as we are stuck out in the tuli block these days but il try get the bar work done in April :thumbup:

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)

Return to “21. DIY Projects”