Trailer: What to buy?

Q&A: Stuff to make your trips and camping more comfortable.
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Trailer: What to buy?

Post by JohnBoyZA »

I posted the questions below regarding trailers on the Overland forum and got various answers. I would like to buy one, but have already got contradictory answers back. I would appreciate your opinions. :?:

Thank you
John

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anybody know if there’s a website that will help you select whether or not to buy 1. used or new, 2. 4x4 or 2x4, 3. Make, 4. Model and 5. Accessories for trailers

I didn’t think so. Would appreciate advice and maybe the first question would be roof rack or trailer. My family is growing and is now accessorized with a MIL. I need more packing space and with my 40l fridge in the back, there’s very little. And if the jump seats are also in… even less. I have considered lifting the Patrol by 2in, to make entry impossible for the MIL accessory, but this seems to negatively affect the SWAMBO accessory.

Right, actually just need some practical advice from those of you that have been through the motions.

Thanx
John
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
Saltman
Full Name: Herbie Hellstrom
Nickname: Saltman
Home Town: Durbanville, Western Cape
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery Series 3 TDV6 Auto
Land Rover Discovery Series 1 Tdi.
Land Rover Discovery Series II Td5
Home Language: Afrikaans / English / German

Re: Trailer: What to buy?

Post by Saltman »

Hi John
I should actually refer this answer to one of the chapters in my planned 4x4 book / life ... he he he ...
Been there, done that, got the various bits ... and sold them ...

We started 4x4-ing in 1999 when my oldest daughter was 5 and the middle one was 2. At that stage my sport and hobby activities involved only me and we were looking for an activity that would and could involve the entire family. So we decided to venture into camping and offroading as both the wife and I grew up enjoying nature and game parks etc.
1. At the time I was looking for a Defender as that was all my limited budget could accommodate! Wifey put her foot down and issued a stern warning to the efect that a bokwa was not welcome on the property ... Enter the Range Rover Classic 4 door V8 - man, do I miss that V8 sound ... ! I was fortunate enough to purchase a prototype offroad trailer that was built on the track width of the Land Rover and for 4 years we camped either with this trailer or with a 3m canvas dome tent, when in the mountains.
2. Then we bought a VW T4 Syncro. This was a magic bus with enough space for the kids and grandma! The bus allowed us to travel through the Richtersveld, Namibia and Mpumalanga. Most trips involved a 3m dome tent and gazebo and on long trips even 2 dome tents. Great vehicle, very stable, very comfortable, very well built, BUT it lacked power and did not have low range and therefore we could not travel off the beaten track where I wanted to ... .
3. The family grew bigger and by 2005 I was looking for a doublecab to fit everything into and to be able to venture further afield than the+/- 3 hours limit I set for the Rangie (this was the family's 3rd vehicle and suffered from abuse and a lack of maintenance - a cost thing ...) as well as cater for the lack of offroad capability of the T4. After a rigorous search as documented on the Overland forum, I purchased a Hilux 4x4 D-4D D/C, kitted it out with amongst other things, a canopy and 2 roof racks with an old Karoo RTT and a new big Hannibal RTT. Now with 3 daughters, the travelling package became considerably heavier, necessitating OME heavy duty springs in the rear. However this camping combo highlighted a major problem in Botswana. I am a keen photographer and I could not get out of camp early in the morning or in the late afternoon as the whole setup had to be packed up everytime before the vehicle could be moved. It was either very frustrating for me or I had to wake up the entire family - Hobson's choice! The RTT setup worked well for the areas where no trailers were allowed or where we set up camp and did not have to move for 2+ days. During this period we sold the protoype trailer, relying on the 3m dome tents or the RTT's.
4. I became tired of all the effort it took to pitch camp everytime - either the 2 RTT's or 2 dome tents etc. So in anticipation of our trip up to Kenia, we decided an offroad trailer was the answer. After a lot of research including renting an Echo 3 trailer with the big tent for a weekend, we finally narrowed it down! We wanted a trailer sized caravan type job. Caravan type so that the entire family could sleep inside and off the ground. Trailer sized for lightweight and easy of towing. ... Lo and behold, there actually was such a trailer on the South African market! Enter the Imagine Trailvan!!! Once again some research and a factory visit later we ordered a Trailvan. It has now experienced a cloud burst (first weekend of camping with it in Yzerfontein), travelled through the Richtersveld and its dust after serious flooding (virtually no roads left), survived the trip up to Kenia through Namibia, Zambia and Tanzania and back via Malawi and Botswana where we experienced really bad tar roads and extremely poor gravel roads and offroad terrain including black cotton soil ... It has been used on Cape Land rover Club outings since we returned.
So far so good, I consider the design to be superb, the chassis and external body to be very well constructed and the internal layout fantastic. Here and there the interior finish could have been slightly better, but the overall practicality of the trailvan I have not yet seen in any other product.
So my recommendation would be the following:
1. Define your need.
2. Define your usage pattern as far as possible
3. Define the comfort levels you want / can do without
4. What does the rest of the family want / can live with
5. We make extensive use of the Trailvan, but I still have my RTT's and 1 x 3m canvas dome tent for those occasions were we have to travel in a different style. However the schlep of fitting and removing the RTT’s have ensured rather seldom use these days. Far easier to just hook up the Trailvan and off we go. When we get back it is cleaned and restocked, ready for the next trip, all we have to do is fill the water tank!

Hope this gives some insights. Enjoy the decision making process!
Saltman:
One foot in Land Rover land and one foot in Patrol land and the sensitive bits are hanging in the salty sea in between!
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Quite a mouthfull Saltman, but thank you. That's a very good summary and you're right, I'm going to have to ask myself a few more questions.
Will let you know what I decide.
Alanvs
Full Name: Alan van Schoor
Nickname: Alanvs
Home Town: Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by Alanvs »

I have just bought a Conqueror Conquest, and I have to say if you want packing space this trailer has got it. I have compared to a number of trailers out there and they have been clever with their design. I believe you live in CT, so PM me if you want to see it.
Attachments
IMG_1935.jpg
IMG_1935.jpg (132.43 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure”
Patrol GU 6L GRX
35's, lockers and a heavy foot.
420hp LS2 V8 conversion Happening!!!!
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Was at the olive festival on Saturday and happened to check out the Echo 4 at one of the stands - not the most streamlined, but huge inside for packing.

Alan would be great to see your trailer. Will give you a shout sometime!
Alanvs
Full Name: Alan van Schoor
Nickname: Alanvs
Home Town: Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by Alanvs »

No problem, can promise you there is more room in mine than an echo 4 as a friend of mine has one. PM me anytime or phone (0832612065). I am heading for Angola for about a week on Wednesday.
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure”
Patrol GU 6L GRX
35's, lockers and a heavy foot.
420hp LS2 V8 conversion Happening!!!!
Jacques Dowd

Post by Jacques Dowd »

From my experience...stay away from towing trailers over long distance (incl boats) ...unless you really really have to.
Jacques Dowd
'04 105GX 4.5 EFi Cruiser
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin

Post by JohnBoyZA »

by Jacques Dowd » Wed May 06, 2009 9:36 am

From my experience...stay away from towing trailers over long distance (incl boats) ...unless you really really have to
Only way I can get around it is if you take Mother-in-Law to Moz in December :twisted:
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Stefan »

JohnBoyZA wrote: Only way I can get around it is if you take Mother-in-Law to Moz in December :twisted:
.... And then make a quick getaway while she goes to buy a loaf of bread.
:offtopic:
KOOS BEST
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Jacobus William Best
Nickname: Kosie
Home Town: MTUNZINI, Zululand coast
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Home Language: TWEETALIG

Post by KOOS BEST »

John , I see you live in Cape Town.Where will you store the trailer and where will you use it?. Reason some rust , I have a friend in Mtunzini with a well known make from upcountry .Its been back twice for severe rust, the powder coating comes off.Try and get S/Steel , Aluminium or galvanised trailer
I have an Afrispoor, dont make the mistake I did by taking the BIG and beautiful , the full monty tent, with the awnings and side tents , its takes over an hour to put up PORPERLY AND TIGHT.I got rid off it , fitted a normal rooftop tent on top for the sons and bought a turbo pitch tent for me and the wife.Can quickly take it off and fit on vehicle when doing a 4x4 trail say in Kalahari, where you not allowed your trailer. Also designed an 8 x 6m awning 3m high that work with 2 poles and 6 ratchet straps . It takes me 12min , I sit down and have a cold one .John this is very important time time time and the effort.
Also it must have a solid axle with shocks and breaks, in Baviaans I saw the difference between non brake and non shockabsorber trailers. O ja never have your freezer in the trailer.
My advise is more on the the massive tents it comes with, you spend a fortune on it and can only be used with the trailer!
I love a trailer , you go camping in comfort and style .
Koos
Koos Best(Kosie)Mtunzini Zululand
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
Patrol GU 2003 3.0d GRX (SOLD 2010)
Patrol GQ 1996 4.2d ST(SOLD 2007)

Return to “19. Overlanding/Camping Equipment”