GRX Second Spare Wheel & Increasing Fuel Capacity

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: GRX Second Spare Wheel & Increasing Fuel Capacity

Post by Tinus lotz »

AndrewA wrote:I had my wheel off this weekend as a friend has 4 Cruiser 80 16"rims available. Mine are 17" but as the diesel has 16" I assumed they would fit or at least give them a try. They did fit with a very small gap between the callipers could be a problem if the rim gets bent.

I had a good look to try and understand what make the fitment on the :mytwocents: patrols so special but could not see it, can anybody help?

Also has anybody successfully fitted cruiser wheels on a patrol?
the thing with the patrol hubs are that there is a little 3mm spigot standing out that stops the wheel from fitting flush with the machined surface if the inside of the rim is big it goes over that lip if not your weels come loose . Oom mac is busy as we speak to fit FJ rims to thor
he had to get them cut to fit over that lip
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Andrew, the spigot (raised portion in the middle of the hub) that the wheel must fit around is bigger on the Patrol than on most others. But it's only a millimeter or two.

If the rim does not fit around this spigot, it does not sit flush against the mounting surface. Now two things happen. Firstly, it is almost impossible to get the wheels on absolutely straight (thus introducing a wobble and a lot of extra load) and secondly because the contact area is so small, it can't carry the load and starts deforming. The moment this happens, the wheelnuts are loose and then they fall off.

I have no idea as to whether Cruiser wheels fit, but certainly they can be modified to fit.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by dieselfan »

On the issue of tanks, although stainless can crack and mild steel more resilient but what about rust? Peter your comments on the trailer are very "out the box", I like. My bil's tank has had to be flushed twice as it clogged the filters. Is that not why modern cars use plastic?
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

THOR seriously in need of BIG BIG moerse big bleer fuel tank .. sommer 200 liter sal doen -
Ek haat stainless [al paar keer op uitreike gebeur dat die manne met L R teks se tenk kraak .. ]
MAAR ek stress ook oor die roes in die sagte staal] en Pioneer wil nie sulke groot tenks maak nie ???

ek soek n FORD GRANADA 100 litre tenk as jy dalk hoor / weet van ??
en n SANI baskkie 95 litre ook :-)
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Ek het nog 4 16" Hummer rims ook as iemand dit kan gebruik.
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

dieselfan wrote:On the issue of tanks, although stainless can crack and mild steel more resilient but what about rust? Peter your comments on the trailer are very "out the box", I like. My bil's tank has had to be flushed twice as it clogged the filters. Is that not why modern cars use plastic?
Rust in diesel tanks is a big problem. If you drive a diesel, don't fit mild steel tanks.

On petrol it's much less of a problem. I would not let them stand unused for long periods though. I empty empty empty both my tanks at least monthly (drive until the vehicle splutters before swopping over), and I use large-capacity fuel filters which I replace at every service. This has several other advantages too.

There is no doubt that plastic is best though, but nobody is going to build us a mold...
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg

Post by Clem »

Peter Connan wrote:
dieselfan wrote:There is no doubt that plastic is best though, but nobody is going to build us a mold...
But maybe it is possible to 3-D print one? Not sure if it is practically feasible yet.
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Clem, I have very limited experience with 3-D printing. Those items that I have had printed have however been very flimsy. From what I have seen, the material is not homogenous after printing yet.

However I could be wrong as they are certainly making very rapid progress in this field. For example I know that it is now possible to 3-D print molds that can be used for either normal gravity casting or even investment casting processes. However those processes cannot produce thin enough sections on large surfaces for fuel tanks.
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marino4x4 »

Hi Clem

Way of topic, but:

Printing something as big as a petrol tank will cost a pretty penny. You would be able to by a Y60 patrol with the money. The technology is at this stage for part about 700x380x380 mm. That is the biggest machine I am aware of that can build Nylon. The other big machines build ABS parts. If I am correct petrol dissolves ABS. On the other scale you get machines that can build a house for you out of cement. http://www.contourcrafting.org/

The technology is developing rapidly, but size will always be a problem. I work at a company in the Central University of Technology that does 3D printing/Laser sintering. http://www.cut.ac.za/faculty_pages/crpm/

If any of the forum members are interested in visiting us let me know and I can arrange a tour. We have machines that can grow: Plastic (Nylon, ABS), Sand, rubber, polystyrene, steel and Titanium.
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg

Post by Clem »

Peter Connan wrote:Clem, I have very limited experience with 3-D printing. Those items that I have had printed have however been very flimsy. From what I have seen, the material is not homogenous after printing yet.

However I could be wrong as they are certainly making very rapid progress in this field. For example I know that it is now possible to 3-D print molds that can be used for either normal gravity casting or even investment casting processes. However those processes cannot produce thin enough sections on large surfaces for fuel tanks.
Peter from what I read they can already print products (including to aerospace standards) in maraging steel. Not that it or anything like it would be even remotely cost effective for a fuel tank! But to be sure, it is only a question of time until one is able to print a fuel tank to your own required specifications. It may not be next year or the year after, but happen it will.

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”