Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Tb48 vs Td42 Engine

Post by Michael »

hugejp wrote: 16 Dec 2020 12:23 :goodpost:

Well said Peter.

Both my TB48 & TD42 have been slightly modified. They both have pro's and con's, but again I couldn't choose a favourite.
Slightly modified......... :rolling:
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

This really comes down to personal prefrence I think. If like Graham you enjoy the very smooth and quiet engine with a AT then the 4.8 will always be your pick.
If you like a manual box, loud exhaust's and more torque then the TD42 might be higher on the rankings.

I would actually like to be at another dyno day to compare more midified engines. There are allot more TB48 turbos on the road now and lots of new development have been done on the TD42.

As Peter also mentioned, the TB48 is a great out of the vehicle to tackle the dunes, but on the last Goerapan trip I was on, the standard TB48 was no match to the TD42T on both the 1/4 mile and the dunes....... but then again, the turbo TB48 had the upper hand on the TD42T
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

Michael wrote: 17 Dec 2020 06:48
hugejp wrote: 16 Dec 2020 12:23 :goodpost:

Well said Peter.

Both my TB48 & TD42 have been slightly modified. They both have pro's and con's, but again I couldn't choose a favourite.
Slightly modified......... :rolling:
:rockon:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Jp ...daar is niks slightly in jou lewe nie ou :blonde: gaan groot of gaan huistoe ....jy ry heel voor in die hin Hin gang :biggrin:
Spike
Full Name: Spike Pretorius
Nickname: Spike
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: 4.8 GRX 2008 (platkar/daily driver)
Many others, here and abroad.....it's my job
Home Language: Sleg soutpiel

Post by Spike »

The diesel vs petrol debate has been going on since diesel and petrol were invented. A bit silly really because it's like comparing a horse with an ox. Entirely different purposes, capabilities, driving styles, different fuel availability when travelling, blah blah.
:oldtimer:
Sardonic Fattist

Ikigai. Do what you love. Love what you do.
Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of minds to think
Jannie Vosser
Full Name: Johannes Jacobus Vosser
Nickname: Jannie
Home Town: STELLA ; North West Province
Current 4x4: 2009 4.2 DIESEL TDi PATROL PICK UP
2012 2.5 diesel 4x4 NP300 BAKKIE
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Jannie Vosser »

:think:
Al is dit 'n "ou" gesprek...bly dit 'n interessante gesprek.
"Doet so voort".
Miskien maak dit ons wat net diesels het lus om eendag aan 'n 4,8 petrol te "proe".
:thumbup:
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Michael wrote: 17 Dec 2020 06:57 This really comes down to personal prefrence I think. If like Graham you enjoy the very smooth and quiet engine with a AT then the 4.8 will always be your pick.
If you like a manual box, loud exhaust's and more torque then the TD42 might be higher on the rankings.

I would actually like to be at another dyno day to compare more midified engines. There are allot more TB48 turbos on the road now and lots of new development have been done on the TD42.

As Peter also mentioned, the TB48 is a great out of the vehicle to tackle the dunes, but on the last Goerapan trip I was on, the standard TB48 was no match to the TD42T on both the 1/4 mile and the dunes....... but then again, the turbo TB48 had the upper hand on the TD42T
I think that also has a lot to do with the gearing and management system of the standard TB48.
Standard, the GRX runs on 3.5 ratios.

A 4.8 in a manual box configuration with 4.375 diff ratios is a different story, even before it is turbo or super charged.
It may not beat the hottest TD42 in the fleet, but will effortlessly run the longest dune without reaching the danger zones of EGTs on the TDs.

I like both. The TD42 crawls effortlessly over rocks, but my weapon of choice in the dunes remain the TB48.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

My Td42 now has a manual box, the 4.375 gears & many Sojo under bonnet upgrades & I can tell you that to about 150km/h it will out perform a standard Auto 4.8
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
Crazy-Wheels
Full Name: Matthews Van Graan
Nickname: Van
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: hilux

Post by Crazy-Wheels »

Peter Connan wrote: 16 Dec 2020 12:15 This is like asking whether an lion or a hyena is the best predator.

Hyenas have a much better kill ratio, but they cannot take care of buffalo. Nothing but lion can do that.

If you compare the engines in their original guise (IE both non-turbo), the TB48 will be more powerful and have more torque at any speed, but it will use more fuel. The TD may last longer, but I think that has more to do with how they are likely be used than with the engines themselves. The TD will require more maintenance but that maintenance will be slightly easier to perform, and for small problems it will probably be easier to find a mechanic that will be able to fix it.

If you compare a normally aspirated TB48 with a turbo-charged TD42, then the exact specification of the TD becomes the determining factor. If we are looking at the TD42T as sold in South Africa (it was only ever sold locally with a very low pressure turbo, really more an altitude compensator) and not modified, then I think the same applies. The TB48 will still have more torque at all RPM's.

If the TD42 has the high-pressure Australian spec, the UD40 lorry spec or an aftermarket/modified turbo setup (which I think is the most common basis for comparison, although it is to my mind an unfair comparison), then it depends very much on what has been done to the TD. Let's assume a fairly typical setup comprising standard compression ratio, a 10mm pump and boost of around 1 bar, then the TD will have considerably more torque between about 1600 and 2500rpm, which is exactly the rev range you are likely to cruise in. That means you get a more relaxed cruise, with fewer gear changes and better towing ability but still better fuel consumption and little change in reliability, assuming you control the engine based on temperatures. A TD42 with anything over about 0.5-0.8 bar boost becomes an engine that you need to drive with an eye on the temperatures, and if you don't you WILL break it before very long.
However, it will also still be more economical. The TB48 will probably still have a bit more maximum power at high RPM's and will have a flatter torque curve.

If you compare a boosted TD42 to a boosted TB48, the TB48 is once again in the lead with regard to both torque and power, potentially by a massive margin, but it will also be more expensive to get there.
Well said Peter, thanks for all the knowledge you shared with me, l really adore it :salute:
martyn
Full Name: Charles Fry
Nickname: Charlie
Home Town: Robertson
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.5
Home Language: English

Post by martyn »

And here I was thinking that the main reason I drive a Patrol was because it was capable off road, not against a Ferrari.
Diem Dulcem Habes
Have a good day

Return to “16. DIY Projects”