Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Re: TD42 OWNERS QUESTION

Post by Kagiso II »

Haijj Cedric - follow the piping from that small cooler .. me thinks that is an additional cooler for the GEARBOX ???
[can't be a vapouriser for the air con ... ek glo nie]
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

I thought the same thing yeaterday, but still had my work clothes on and didn't want to lie down on the driveway to follow the pipes, but am I wrong in thinking that only automatic g/boxes have g/box oil coolers?? :think:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Ross
Full Name: Ross Holland
Nickname: Ross
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: 1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
aka "The Polar Bear"

Post by Ross »

The small additional cooler is for the power steering fluid.

I know this because I discovered the hard way.....my IC is a front mount and when the guys installed it, one of the mounting brackets just slightly touched that cooler. Last year in the middle of Moremi the vibration and rubbing caused the cooler to burst and all my power steering fluid to leak out. Lucky enough I was standing outside the vehicle with the engine running at the exact moment it let go, so was able to disconnect the power steering belt before any damage was done to the power steering pump.

Trust me though....wrestling a Patrol with 33" MTs through mud and heavy sand without power steering is no joke!! Luckily I managed to get a temporary fix in Kasane which held through Zambia and until I got home!
Ross

1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel: 2" OME, 33" Big Horns, 2x LR Tanks, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, Drawer System, etc etc
aka "The Polar Bear"
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Cedric

Geewiz man - thanks for all that trouble and detail photies :thumbup: really nic of you.

Yeah Ross is right - that is the other funny smaller cooler you reffering to is for your power steering fluid.

I must say I am impressed with what you state your temperature behaves like - that is impressive considering your oil cooler sits in front of the aircon condenser - that in itself give heat off of anything between 70 - 80 degrees with the aircon working :surprised: :surprised: So can you imagine what is happening inside your radiator?? Can't be all that kosher - especially on an extreme hot day. I am baffeled just to why your car burnt a whole in the piston if all these extra coolant and safety features are there.

Those vents you have on your bonnet is exactly what I am looking for - man I wish I could find out what kind of vents those are and what type of car they came off - if at all not "home made". You don't by chance have contact details of the previous owner of the maiden still - I would not mind getting in touch with him to find out about those vents. Or is there anybody else here that have an idea where those vents come from???

Anycase thanks a mill for all your pics - much appreciated. I am gonna have to speak to Burnco about vents like those......

Regards
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

ricster wrote:I thought the same thing yeaterday, but still had my work clothes on and didn't want to lie down on the driveway to follow the pipes, but am I wrong in thinking that only automatic g/boxes have g/box oil coolers?? :think:
Cedric

No you are not wrong - it is only auto gearboxes that have oil coolers - manual vehicles don't have it. That's what I still wanted to say in my previous post - where your oil cooler sits is where my transmission oil cooler is sitting. That's why my oil cooler is situated at the bottom section of my front bumper with 3 holes cut in the bumper to allow airflow onto the oil cooler. See pic below (I will still take better pics when curent job is done).

I am busy having an extreme thing done - I am moving my aircon condenser to the underside of my car!!! :surprised: :surprised: Again see the pic's below:

Aircon condenser at new location from underneath

Another angle..

Taken from the front side of the car
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Now this is extreme and perhaps out of the ordinary.....but I will tell you I am already impressed with the results I saw today.

Firstly I had my radiator cleaned at Silverton's while we were busy with this and had to take it out to get to the aircon condenser. They opened it in front of me - and I was horrified to see what came out of it. Although the owner at Silverton's told me that it is not the worst radiator he has seen by far.....but I was still shocked. Well everything went back in its place this afternoon.....new gas new anti freeze at a 40/60 mixture with distilled water - the tooty.

Then we started the Patrol and let it run for a while - and with the car standing in the workshop we were just revving it by hand. I was holding my burning cigarette at the front of the grill inbetween the slats - and at about 3000 rpm's the viscus fan was sucking so hard it made the cigarette glow !!! :woo: :woo: I will do this one evening and take a photo of it - I should come out nicely in the dark. Now with the aircon condenser out of the way the radiator is sitting nicely and openly and is there plenty of space for normal flow of airflow through the radiator - and that was at standing still conditions - not even driving hard.

So now I can't wait to take the car on the road again - perhaps even tomorrow up Sir Lowry's pass again if it is a nice and hot day here in CT. But the weatherman says else.......
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

That looks brilliant !!.... I also think that a cleaned out radiator helps a lot, and with good quality anti freeze !!

question.... With the aircon radiator under the car, it looks very exposed to stones and other odds and ends..... even possibly clogging with mud in the veins !!
Would a screen of sort offer a little protection with out hampering the airflow?

My motor blew due to an injector dripping diesel onto the piston, even before it blew and after driving 550Km back to JHB with the blown motor, the water temp gauge on the dash never climbed over halfway and CHT gauge on my EGT gauge stayed at around 94 deg C mark.

My radiator is apparently a bigger radiator than standard too.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

Pieter du Toit wrote: Those vents you have on your bonnet is exactly what I am looking for - man I wish I could find out what kind of vents those are and what type of car they came off - if at all not "home made". You don't by chance have contact details of the previous owner of the maiden still - I would not mind getting in touch with him to find out about those vents. Or is there anybody else here that have an idea where those vents come from???
Gents, Autostyle have a whole selection of scoops & vents for sale. Follow the link to Universal Accessories on their website and click "show all" at the bottom of the page. Here are two of them - there are lots more on their site:
Astra bonnet vents: http://www.autostyle.co.za/product/1868 ... netScoops/
Iron Maiden style: http://www.autostyle.co.za/product/1582 ... netScoops/

They're all very reasonably priced :thumbup:
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Post by JG Shields »

Pieter,

Ek glo jou olie-verkoeler sal beslis jou hitte probleme minstens "halveer". Ek is egter nie vebaas om jou verbasing te sien rakende die interne skoonmaak van jou water verkoeler nie. In die algemeen onderskat ons die negatiewe effek van 'n vuil verkoeler se binnekant en hoe vuil hulle wel binne raak. In die meeste voertuie met kleiner enjins is die toleransie tussen normale temperature en oorverhitting redelik groot. met die patrol se groot enjins is dit egter 'n ander saak. Die binne- en buitekant van die verkoeler moet SKOON wees, die visous waaier moet REG werk, die cowl moet REG wees en die waterpomp moet REG wees ten einde hitte probleme te voorkom. Ek dink wel dat indien hierdie goed almal werklik reg is, behoort jou probleme redelik op 'n einde te wees.
Patrol fan!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Pieter

Dankie vir die update en die fotos. I think moving the condenser is a great idea, as it will significantly reduce the temperature of the air reaching the radiator when the aircon is in use. The question now is how this will affect the air conditioner's duty cycle, particularly that close to the exhaust, although I can't think of another place you could have put it. I would also recommend some type of screen to keep the grass seeds (and mud) out.

Voorspoed.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “16. DIY Projects”