Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Re: Project TD42T Conversion

Post by Kagiso II »

Heijjjj Pieter - so 'n bek moet djemm kry!!! Wat van LESOTHO - dis lekker in die middel van omtrent almal - die mooiste lappie aarde buiten SA - EN regte egte 4x4
Wanneer gaan ons?
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
davejones
Full Name: David Jones
Nickname: David
Home Town: Lagos, Nigeria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.2D GL
Home Language: English

Post by davejones »

Ooompie!! Die soutie se: Ek stem HEETEMAAL saam :rolling:

Dis n goeie idee. And lesotho is a great place to 4x4!
1998 Nissan Patrol GL (GU / Y61 - TD42, with turbo)
An ox, but with balls !!!
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

Lesotho sounds fantastic. I would love to join in if this happens.
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

O K .. then let us start a new thread on that one [sien jy davyjones, oompie kan die Inglisjhs ook gooi?]

watch for it [or any of you can start in th einterem [oompie is bikki besig met alles klaarkry voor die RV Uitreik]
(Sal iemand vir Pieter gaan djemm smeer ? so reg rondom die bek en twee lepels op die tong?]

We go in from Kokstad and exit at Ox gate. The VERY brave can tackle BABOON'S PASS with me ???

JUST TO WET THE APPETITE: [en as Brutus dit kan doen ... Patrollie kan seker ook??]
lsoto7.jpg
lsoto7.jpg (182.06 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
Lsoto1.jpg
Lsoto1.jpg (189.96 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Ratau
Full Name: Danie Terblanche
Nickname: Danie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2000 Nissan Patrol 4.2 diesel / DIY Turbo Conversion.
1982 Chevrolet K5 Blazer 6.2 V8-Diesel
485 Nm@1300Rpm NA

Post by Ratau »

Pieter

Wat van 'n "reportback" oor MUFASA en sy nuwe hart?
Danie

Live while you’re alive!
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Danie (en ander belangstellendes)

There is so MUCH I can give feedback on I actually don't know where to start.....so I am going to keep it simple.

In short.....I am extremely happy with the 4.2 conversion. Mufasa really goes well and he tows like a dream - I think the factory turbo'ed engin makes a huge difference from the NA diesel engin. Frans have adjusted the turbo to give beter boost (Max 0.9 flatfoot) and also adjusted the fuel pump to deliver more fuel. My EGT's is running maximum at 650 to 680 which I am very happy with. He (Frans) has overcome the problems experienced in the beginning with the autobox's smooth changes (I still used my 3.0l gearbox) which is still computerised and has its own ecu.

Mufasa seems to be a bit more thirsty than what the 3.0L engin was - I am currently averaging about 5.5 km/l and would have liked to see this a better. However that said - I have a much heavier engin now and are also running 305/70/16 Coopers STT's - much more rubber on the tar!! I know if I reduce theboost and fuelling I will most probably improve on the economy - but I just love the power and accelaration I am currently experiencing.

Yes I do (unfortunately) experience te same "running hot" (not overheating!!) conditions than with most 4.2's - but again it is only under extreme loaded and towing conditions going up long uphill etc. Frans have bypassed the transmission oil running through he bottom part of the radiator as the 3.0l has its own transmission oil cooler in front of the radiator. We then also changed the pulley on the water pump to a smaller one and we have replaced the Nisan fan with a Ford Courier's fan which has 12 blades and situated much closerto each other compared to the original Nissan Fan which only has 7 blades. There has already been a DRAMATIC change in the water temperature under normal driving conditions so I am sure it will show the same results under loaded and towing conditions. My water temp is already running between 10 - 15 degrees cooler than before!!! (I can monitor it nicely with the Madman EMS2 that gives you a digtal display on the water temperature).

Now for the final add on / conversion - Frans will be adding an oil cooler in the next week or three - I have already ordered it and we going to start with a 25 row oil cooler - it is a fairly biggish one - not to small to be ineffective. I will also be adding the oil pressure and oil tempareture monitoring functions of the EMS. Once this is done I will be monitoring every possible engine function you can think of that could lead to major damage if not detected early!!! These include boost, egt, water temp, water level, oil temp and oil pressure.

I am confident that this will bring the total or ultimate solution to the 4.2 "running hot" conditions - and if it does not then nor Frans nor me know what else will!!!

I will feedback once the oil cooler conversion has been done as well.
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

Klink awesome Pieter! Net nie vergeet om in die pad te kyk nie :wink:
Ross
Full Name: Ross Holland
Nickname: Ross
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: 1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
aka "The Polar Bear"
Home Language: English

Post by Ross »

Very glad to hear your positive report back Pieter.....sounds awesome! :clap:

I think I must book my van in with Frans for a few tweaks and improvements as well.....I`m starting to feel left behind :lol:
Ross

1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel: 2" OME, 33" Big Horns, 2x LR Tanks, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, Drawer System, etc etc
aka "The Polar Bear"
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Pieter

This Madman EMS you have, how much did it cost and can it be programmed to give a warning (either a light or an alarm) if set values are exceeded? I know a guy who had a Stack system in his race car that could do that, then you don't have to watch gauges all the time.

Thanks
Peter
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Peter,

That is the absolute nice thing with the EMS monitor - each setting has a high and low setting - and you can set an alarm on each of these values!!! Thus you never have to constantly look at gauges - it has an digital LCD display and when a value is exeeded the alarm will go off (with a red led flashing) and the lcd screen automatically jumps to the monitoring function that is giving the alarm - one glimpse at it and you know immediately what's wrong. Go look here http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... 63&start=0 - here's photogrpahs of it when my egt was installed.

The other nice thing with the Madman is the system has a maximum values setting - in other words you can go into the menu at anytime and it will show you the maximum recorded values of all the functions that you are monitoring.

Yes these monitors are a bit expensive (currently +- R1500-00 for the monitor alone) - but if you look at all of it's functions and all of it in one monitor I really really think they are worth there money. f you want to know more about it and from which dealers you can get it go visit http://www.madman.co.za - you will find all the info there.

As the owner of a diesel vehicle I will not want to be without it - and if I ever bought even a new diesel 4x4 I will have it installed from the word go with all the functions. To me it is worth every cent you spent on it - it could save you from thousands and thousands rands worth of engine damage. In fact I think manufacturer's of diesel 4x4 vehicles brought to or manufactured in SA for us should actually consider doing this as a standard option - even if it pushes the vehicle price up with R5k or so.

Regards
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333

Return to “16. DIY Projects”